Learn more

Cedar Run Trail to White Oak Fire Road Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(86)
Shenandoah National Park

Cedar Run Trail to White Oak Fire Road Loop is a 7.4 mile loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,247 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Note: This trailhead is currently closed by SNP and the County for the foreseeable future due to community health concerns— NO parking or road access is available. Please check with the park page for more information.

closed

Rain on and off all day, which made the waterfalls quite nice. I left the fire road for last being worried that the weather would get worse as the day went on. Even so, I think counter clockwise is best so that you can see the White Oak trail waterfalls in front of you as you approach them. The Cedar Run trail was very rocky and slippery with wet leaves. The trail markings on White Oak are awesome. Not so much on Cedar Run esp at the first creek crossing. If you miss the turn, it looks like you are just cutting across but you will find there is no way to cross (I speak from experience).

Very rocky hiking, you’ll be watching every step (especially in fall leaves, Oct+). The only smoother parts are: Whiteoak-Cedar Run Link Trail and Whiteoak Canyon Fire Road. 8 Waterfalls on this loop. 6 of the biggest waterfalls are on the Whiteoak Canyon Trail. I think the direction is best. You could do the trail in reverse if you prefer to step-up on rocky “stairs” for the last 4km.

Whatever way you slice it, this is a punishing hike with lots of elevation change/gain and variation! I went anticlockwise which left a the most uneventful scenery on the fire road at the end; next time I’ll try the other way, which has a more severe incline but better scenery to finish with. Given it has been so dry in VA this fall, the waterfalls were quite tame but still beautiful and plentiful! Will definitely come back when there’s been more rain.

My neck hurts from looking down. So many rocks, it’s outrageous. Otherwise fun as there’s quite a few waterfalls around.

I did the trail in reverse and am very happy about it! The waterfalls are very pretty and there were several black bear sightings. My bear bell worked wonders! I only ever saw then heading away from me. No views of the mountains.

Difficult but amazingly beautiful!

Hard to find words. Strenuous, rugged, spectacular. Etc. one of the best I’ve ever hiked.

This is very nice hike. There are countless water falls and the trail was well maintained. We went on a summer Saturday, so it was busy with lots of dogs and people enjoying the falls. I took my 8 and 11 year old girls. It was a little long for their liking, but they completed it without any real hardship. The start is steep with lots of rocks. The climb back up isn't too steep and the trail is pretty good. I would do this again, but would probably choose a weekday.

Amazing hike.