Cedar Run Falls Trail

Cedar Run Falls Trail is a 5.8 mile out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,247 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park at the Hawksbill Gap parking area just beyond milepost 45. Trail post is on the east side of the Drive.

Great hike! Combined White Oak Canyon Loop and Hawksbill Summit Loop! Amazing brooks running down both White Oak and Cedar Run trails.

That trail hurt my soul, it was awesome. Gorgeous sights, cool water to take a dip, and the climb back up is rather daunting for inexperienced hikers. Needless to say, the post hike pizza helps. Enjoy!

Really awesome trail. We didn’t want to do the full loop over to white oak so we just went down to the falls and back for a total of 5ish miles. Definitely wear a bathing suit if it’s nice out, you can swim at the slide or the falls below it. There are beautiful blue pools all along the trail. Make no mistake though, the climb back out is tough!

Beautiful waterfalls on this trail, but heavily trafficked, even on weekdays. Start early to avoid crowds.

We did the out and back to the falls with our dogs (about 5.4 miles). Just stunning, and shaded. The walk back is almost all uphill, but not as grueling as I thought it would be. Wear your bathing suit-the cold pools around the falls are worth a dunk! Highly recommend this hike and thankful for the friend that got me up here!

Loved every minute of this challenging hike!

Absolutely brutal but rewarding trail. It was my first hike and it just never seemed to end. Legs hurt for days after. They updated it to a circle now instead of a go-and-back. The swimming holes were amazing and much needed. It took us 6 and a half hours to complete and that was with (2) 40 minute swim breaks in there so make sure you have enough time to complete.

The 1900ft elevation change is no joke, but the scenery is too good to miss. The trail itself is hard scrabble pretty much the whole way, so appropriate footwear is required. My Australian shepherd had no problem and loved the many opportunities to dip into cool mountain pools along the way.

Great waterfall hike! The stream flows next to you while you walk and there is plenty of wildlife to check out. Good for birding.

I took my 8 year old son on this trail and we had a blast. the trail itself is pretty rocky in most parts and runs parallel to the stream/river/falls pretty much the entire way. This provided tons of opportunities for us to play on the rocks in the river and eventually the waterfalls and their pools. There were many fallen trees along the way, but the scenery was always beautiful. I prefer uphill treks to downhill (downhill is hard my knees), so the way back up was better for me. its definitely a very steady and rocky incline, but nothing that was too much. i stopped maybe 3 times for my son to take a break, but we made it back up quicker and easier than we made it down (we also stopped many times to play in the water on the way down.) not too heavily trafficked, and a very fun time. will definitely do again!

Beautiful hike along the river and falls. Trail a little difficult to follow especially near the river crossing but it was a great adventure.

Well marked, great hike. second time doing this. Enjoy!

Mon Dec 31 2018

I loved this trail but I think it was too hard for my pup. Lol, it has some technical paths!! And I think the marking is a little confusing at the blue line! But enjoyed every second of it! Start early!!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Great hike. Beautiful trees and the river along most of it. Some steep and slippery spots. Got there very early for parking at the lower lot. Enjoyed spending time in the cold water on a hot day.

Thu Jul 26 2018

This trail was pretty hard! We went with an entire family and didn’t expect it. We’ve done quite a few big hikes in national parks, but none were quite like this. The “trail” is more like a dried up riverbed of rocks. Be prepared to be stepping down big rocks almost the entire time. There are a few river crossings where you’ll need to either take of your shoes, or balance across logs. We went after a week of tremendous rainfall, so the crossings were pretty intense. The waterslide was way too strong to go into. We found a small section a little further south of the waterfall to go swimming in. The water was ice cold. As difficult as it was, intended up being one of the most talked about and fun things the family has ever done. Would recommend if you like a challenge.

Sun Jan 21 2018

Great hike! Still Ice covered in some spots but otherwise beautiful day for a hike!

Wed Dec 06 2017

The falls were amazing! There are two major stopping points, one big waterfall that you can actually jump into and swim which is really refreshing and more up the trail is a natural slide that does not hurt going down and is just as refreshing. MUST GO! It is easier to start from the bottom of the trail if you only want to go to the waterfalls.

Tue Oct 31 2017

Fishing was decent good trail

Tue Jul 25 2017

Tue Jun 20 2017

Started this hike up to the Cedar Run Falls from the Weakly Hollow Road parking lot on a mid-June day, not as a loop rather as a out&aback. We mainly wanted to visit the falls and play in the water. There was plenty of water in the creek. Reached the big falls in Cedar Run in about 1.5 miles, where the trail has its steepest section.

Sun Jun 19 2016

An advanced hike with a steep and rocky terrain that never let's up. I love these kinds of hiked and really enjoyed it! There's a rock slide 40 minutes down. That was a lot of fun!! The trail opposite of this one has a very nice view at the top over looking everything. Steep incline though.

Tue Dec 01 2015

i agree with Danielle that this is a grueling hike. Coming back up seems to go on for ever. The trail climbs 1500 feet in less than 2 miles. If that don't make your calves burn you must be in great shape. The last time I did it was seven years ago so maybe it will be easy by now. LOL This waterfall was not much to see but it probably improves with heavy rain.