Learn more

Cave Falls via Hazel River and White Rocks Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(55)
Shenandoah National Park

Cave Falls via Hazel River and White Rocks Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.5 mi Elevation gain 1,466 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (155)
Recordings (46)
Completed (108)
Ethan Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingBugs

I hate horse flies

View Ethan's Recording
Patrick Hendy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingBugsOff trail

Great trail. Good spots to wade into the river on a hot day!

View Patrick's Recording
MB Howlett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 15 2020
Hiking

Fun trail. Some of the stream crossings were a bit challenging because of all of the rainfall this spring. Also do the recommended trail “as is”. I tried to be creative and make it a circuit w the Hazel Mountain and Hazel River trail but they are heavily overgrown and buggy. Stick with the recommended trail...it’s fun!

Anna Bat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 27 2020

beautiful and fun

Rebecca Faeder
HikingRocky

3/26/20-We (my dog, Festivus, and me) had a blast on this trail! We crossed 3 streams with both of us wading across one...not on purpose for me I wouldn’t rate it difficult for at least two miles. The last mile to the overlook and falls was def steep but doable. I forgot to go to the overlook so I def need to go back. Instead of going back the way we came, after visiting the falls, I decided to continue on White Rocks Trail which runs into Hazel Mtn trail and then Sam’s Ridge trail back down to my car. It was a beautiful day to go. Next time I’ll catch the overlook which is supposed to be spectacular.

Elizab Martns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 21 2020
Hiking

This was a ton of fun! The creek crossings were not difficult, and gave our dogs the chance to play in the water. A good amount of climbing and I liked that it wasn’t straight up and then straight down on the way back. A little bit of rolling hilly trail in the middle of the hike. Fairly quiet, saw 6 or 7 other groups total during the hike.

View Elizab's Recording
Andrew McManus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 05 2020
View Andrew's Recording
John Truran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Oct 05 2019
HikingRocky

Total distance is actually 7 miles from the parking area. Great hike, and fall wildflowers were in bloom. We are three experience takers and we would all rate this hard, not moderate. The inclines are quite steep. River crossings were in good condition as it has been fairly dry. We want to come back and hike this in the winter, as the views will likely be much better.

View John's Recording
Ashley Franklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 26 2019
HikingBugs
View Ashley's Recording
Brendan Rooney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 15 2019
HikingMuddyRocky
View Brendan's Recording
Malinda Z
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 17 2019
Hiking

More popular than I thought it would be. The trail is well-traveled and easy to find. I took full advantage of the swimming holes on a hot, humid day.

Daniel G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 05 2019
Hiking

Hiked this trail 7/3/19. Note for future hikers: the last turn in the directions to this trail would take you down a private road. Park just before that turn (there is only space for a few vehicles) and then walk down Hungry Horse. There aren't any signs for the trail until you get to the trailhead which is clearly marked. Excellent hike, I am active but this was my first hike of the season and I found it physically demanding. Very little traffic, my dog and I only saw two other pairs of hikers all day. Stream crossings were no more than knee deep and mostly crossable by rockhopping, but you do have to get wet a couple times. Wonderful views when you get to the top of the ridge, the climb is worth it. Cave falls is phenomenal, and so peaceful. Make sure to do a tick check, I found one and myself and two on my dog and we used tick repellant spray.

Joe Schmo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 08 2019
Hiking

Pretty easy for most of the trail until you get to a stairway to heaven! Definitely a butt kicker on the way up the mountain, plenty of spots that you think you've made it but you haven't just yet. Then at the end it's a steep descent to get to the cave which is only a reminder that you'll have to get back up to go back the other way. Didn't plan the best and ended up having to stay the night but we were prepared enough to make it work. Handful of other hikers stayed the night. Great trail!

View Joe's Recording
Brent Custer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 24 2019
Hiking

Nice hike up Hazel River to Cave Falls to circle back around hazel mountain. Just under 10 miles. With all the rain lately the water was up making some of the stream crossings difficult but other than that very nice. Passed a couple with a dog and two guys backpacking for a week and that’s it.

View Brent's Recording
Neal Wavra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Feb 13 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

I love this trail. Elevation gain, views, and lots of stream crossings. Cave Falls is a marvel.

Chris Laughlin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 15 2018
Hiking

Hike Date: 10/6/18 The hike was awesome, as far as we got. The stream crossing is no joke, which we really weren't prepared for it. We did four crossings that got progressively harder and at the fifth crossing, we decided to turn back. I highly suggest bringing water shoes with a good grip and clothes that dry fast so you can just wade through. It might have been easier if it had not been raining as much this summer. Other than that, it was incredibly beautiful and very secluded. We started later in the day, like 2:00pm, and there was only one other couple and a family coming back down right at the start, probably after turning around at a crossing.

justafurnaceman User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 01 2018
Hiking

A fun hike with multiple stream crossing so be prepared during times of heavy rain to get wet and for the water to be deep. We ended up turning around at the 4th stream crossing where it got hip deep. We'll definitely attempt this again.

Susan M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
View Susan's Recording
Marcella R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
View Marcella's Recording
Emily Hagedorn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
View Emily's Recording
James Meehan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
View James's Recording
Teomner Perez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
View Teomner's Recording
Ulrich Boser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 09 2020
Amy Stunder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 29 2020
View Amy's Recording
Ferrell L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 19 2020
View Ferrell's Recording
Greg Gurley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Feb 03 2020
View Greg's Recording