Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Carvin's Cove Hay Rock via Appalachian Trail

Carvin's Cove Hay Rock via Appalachian Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Daleville, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Out and back hike used for hiking.

Nice trail with great view over Carvin’s Cove. I walked with my dog to the lookout over Carvin’s Cove (about 2.5-3 miles in) then returned. Took about 2 hours or so, nice hike.

private property

Great trail would recommend if backpacking, day hiking or getting started with the outdoors. Very quiet and peaceful even though there are some thru hikers hiking the the a.t very nice people if you know leave no trace rules. The views over Carvins cove are still one of the better view without going to far on foot. I think it is easier to get to tinker cliffs than going all the way to Andy’s trail but I have been hiking this path over couple times.

Gorgeous views on a beautiful day! Completed it with my boyfriend and our 2 dogs. Very few people on the trail, which is great considering how central it is to the interstate and a town.

Excellent hike! My dog loved this trail, especially the creek at the beginning that was deep enough for him to swim in. It was well marked and provided many different view spots. We found our own Little Rock to have lunch on by ourselves. Would do it again. Plenty of parking unlike other spots.

my dog and i hiked this yesterday. it was a gorgeous trail and gorgeous views. the first little part is downhill and make sure you keep going straight past the sign instead of turning right. it is a relatively steep trail but it was highly enjoyable. you pass touchably close to a power line (my dog got covered in static when i tried to pet him walking past) but once you reach that point, it’s not too much further to the views. absolutely amazing at the peak. would highly recommend.

Ridge is rocky and technical. Views are pretty rad up top

Hazel the Blue Tick Hound was lost here on 3/29/19 around 3:00 PM. If you see her, please leash her and call her owners at 406-570-8745 or 828-773-3199. She is quite timid, but will come to food. Thank you in advance!

Some friends and I hiked this a couple of week ago to watch the sunset. Beautiful view. A little muddy, since it’s been raining forever!

Did this trail after a lottttt of rain and an extremely windy day and night. Lots of flooding and downed trees so took extra long but it was absolutely gorgeous. There was like no one else in the trail and it has some of the best views of any hike around. Unique views as well. Highly highly recommend. Wear waterproof boots if rainy. OH!! Make sure to turn left not right when you reach the Appalachian trail intersection.

Best hike in the area. Much better views and far fewer people than McAfee's knob

Love this trail great views

This trail seems unpromising at the start, but I was really impressed with the views of the Cove once up on the ridge. The park-n-ride seems like a mildly-sketchy area. The trail entrance isn't well marked, but you can see it behind the guard rail. This first portion (half mile or so) goes by a construction site (lots of loud machinery), past some apartments, and seems generally kind of "industrial" and uninviting. The traffic noise from I-81 doesn't help. However, the trusty AT appears shortly after. Take a left onto the AT. The trail is fairly muddy and icy right now (Jan 23), but passable just fine. It's actually drier once you start climbing up to the ridge. As the others suggested, I continued only to the second power line clearing. There are a handful of really nice views up on this ridge, even if you don't want to continue to Hay Rock. As others have noted, the electricity poles do emit some freaky sounds, but if you know to expect them, it's less creepy. I could actually hear them long before reaching the power line clearings (first noticed the sounds about a mile in), however. Stats (RT to second power line clearing): 5.47 miles 1334 ft elevation gain 1:55 hours

awesome view, but was a bit dangerously muddy a couple days after a short rain. glad I found this convenient trail!

Nice trail with good views. Not worth it to go all the way if you just want a great view of the Cove. Only need to go to the second power line clearing.

Decent hike with an okay view. Upon entering the trail, it was difficult to know whether to go to right or left. Thankfully, we went left.

Worth the trip and time. A few really good views before you get to the top. Good way to spend an afternoon.

A bit of a "meh" from me and my 12 year old daughter. The views of Carvins Cove are amazing, but Hay Rock itself is utterly forgettable. The multiple power line crossings also detract from the experience. We clocked it at 7.9 miles round trip from the park and ride, and would rate it as a pretty solid "Moderate" in difficulty.

In my opinion, the best views in the area. A steady climb with plenty of switchbacks brings you to a breathtaking view of the valley and reservoir below.

views are incredible. trail not well maintained when i went but worth the trip!

Saw a bear about 15-20 feet from the trail. This is an awesome trail, and the best views are before the actual rock overlooking the cove. Beautiful and a great workout!

A great varied terrain. Saw doe with her fawn , a turkey,found blueberries & blackberries along the way. Yep you can hear the power lines when hiking under them but thats just a piece of the trail. Stopped at the look out over the reservoir for the cool breeze and a rest before turning back. Talked to a 70 year old man who has been on the AT for three months! Now I want to do such an adventure!

Thursday, May 03, 2018

My new favorite trail in the area. Varied terrain so it doesn't get boring. The view of Carvin's Cove is great. Some people complain about the power lines but I had my headphones in and I didn't notice them. If not for seeing the tower I wouldn't have known they were there. I went on a week day and only saw two other people the whole time. I'm sure on weekends when the through hikers start coming through it will be more crowded, but still nowhere near other hikes like McAfee or Dragons Tooth.

Friday, April 27, 2018

Great trail with great views!! Hayrock itself was nothing to write home about, the real beauty and reward comes before. The views of Carvins Cove are gorgeous!

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

This is simply my go to trail whenever I need sometime to myself or alone time with my pretty lady. The trail is just hard enough to make one feel accomplished yet not exhaust one to the point that one can't enjoy one of the nearby breweries. Then there is the view which in my opinion is one of the best especially in the fall. Also, its hard to believe but this trail isn't as heavily traficced as one might assumed by the parking lot at the trailhead. Finally, if you are fortunate enough to run into a thru-hiker then you'll be provide the oppirtunity to listen to some great stories or give some trail magic to that hiker.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

This is a nice hike because it is so easy to get to, also maybe not so good because it is so easy to get to. Depends on your perspective. A few good viewpoints, and has been said, Hay Rock itself is underwhelming. If you want to shorten it up, you can go a little past the power lines for about 4 miles round-trip for a worthwhile hike and nice views. It's roughly a 900' climb from parking to the top of the ridge.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

This is not a hard trail, that is false. This is a well maintained trail with numerous great views. The great views come before Hay Rock which is very underwhelming and could be skipped. My only real issue with this trail is that you never really leave civilization. You can constantly see and hear the highway