Carvin's Cove Hay Rock Trail

Carvin's Cove Hay Rock Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Daleville, Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January.

Out and back hike used for hiking.

Great trail - I admit I don't complete it, though - I hike from the parking lot near I-81 up to the top, then back. As others have said, beautiful views, and it's enjoyable to ascend through woodsy terrain then see views opening up as you go on. The noise from the power lines is a bit disconcerting, but you pass them quickly - I think they add to the trail's uniqueness!

Absolutely love this trail. Hiked it back in February with a few friends for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's a fairly long hike but not too steep and definitely manageable for all levels of hikers. The views along the top of the mountain all the way to the top were incredible. Hay Rock itself is an awesome sight and holds an even better view at the top of it if you're willing to scramble up to the top. We hit the trail at about 8 AM and didn't see a soul the whole way up. Only after we had sat at the top for about an hour did other hikers start coming up. I'd say there was probably around 50 people total on the trail at it's peak of business. Overall an amazing hike with spectacular views and much less traffic than other popular hikes in the area

My new favorite hike in the region. Great views, challenging and not nearly as crowded as similar hikes like McAfee's or Dragon's tooth. After breaking the tree line, the mile or so to Hay Rock is just full of great views and I was constantly stopping to snap a few photos.

Definitely my new favorite hike. We went early so we were almost alone out there! Saw a few people on the hike back in the afternoon. It was a way easier hike than I was expecting. The views were amazing and the rock was awesome and good to climb on. Definitely recommend sturdy boots and lots of water for this hike.

I was a little confused about where to go couple of times in the beginning but figured it out. Great views of Carvins Cove and pretty easy after the initial climb up. No signs identifying Bay Rock but I guess It's the big stone that could almost serve as a shelter that has brown paint to cover all the stuff others had posted on the underside.

Very nice trail with a nice view.

Beautiful with a bunch of ridge walking.

really good trail with some beautiful overlooks. only one part is hard. mile 2 going in is a little rough the rest isn't bad just a lot of great views!

This was a great but also rather bizarre hike - check out my video on it to get a preview of what you're getting into! haha https://youtu.be/cZ21Z3fGF5E

An excellent hike with my pup. Leaves, water views, rocks, and AT thru-hikers to chat with -- will do this one again!

This is a great day hike. Awesome views, just enough climbing to make it a workout, but not exhausting. Beautiful in every season (power lines excluded).

Great short hike. I wouldn't consider it hard but I could see how some could. Views are worth it. Take your dog!

Very nice trail with low traffic, wonderful view of Carvins Cove!