Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Carter Taylor Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Appomattox, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.4 miles Elevation Gain: 777 feet Route Type: Loop

Started off pretty nice and then turned out to be forest road after forest road. Toward the end it was so muddy from the logging trucks that you had no choice but to muck through the mud. Good for miles, but I will not be recommending it to any of my friends.

This trail was extremely well maintained and marked well. The trail for me came in at about 11.3-miles. There was one crossing that I had to take my shoes off for and walk across, but all the others were passable. This trail goes down as a walk in the woods hike. If you are looking for a nice trail to spend some time on, mostly alone, though I did encounter some horseback riders, one mountain biker, and a family of four, most of my time on this trail was all alone. I gave it five stars simply because it was a nice hike and the trail was so well maintained.

OK hike, especially great if just looking to get mileage on your feet: 1) AllTrails mileage is off — about a mile and a half under — logged 12.1 miles on Garmin. 2) AllTrails route does not match reality, some variance that adds and removes mileage — whole is fairly well marked with red blazes. Several creek crossings; one is about knee deep. 3) Mainly state forest access/fire trails with some areas through clear cut. Pretty drive to get there; not many people; shared with horses.

Mon Jul 31 2017

Enjoyed the trail with its variation in terrain: gravel, meadow, rooted narrow paths and a few creek crossings. Also had a few steep ups & downs. Signs / blazes were sorely lacking, though, and contributed to a missed turn or two along the way.

Wed Apr 19 2017

Not much to see but there are some nice streams. Trails are clear and maintained.

Thu Oct 20 2016

There were several people on the trail.. I was told that you can usually have it to yourself.

Thu Oct 20 2016

Nice trail. I do want to come back and do more trails in Holiday Lake State Park.

Sat Mar 19 2011

There were a number of people on the trail when I hiked it mid-afternoon. The trail was easy to follow and well maintained. My only complaint is the road noise from I64. You may want to consider bringing your iPod on this one.