Calvary and Chimney Rocks Trail

Calvary and Chimney Rocks Trail is a 3.2 mile out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is underrated. It was an awesome hike! Nor would I say that it was easy, but it was really worth it.
Mile marker 90 on the south end of Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Rip-rap parking lot. You find the board that describes the trail and go north/right on the Appalachian Trail, just about a half a mile. Then take a left at the cement post for Riprap trail. A little rugged, always bring water and good hiking boots makes it better. But the trail just gets better and better as you go. After about two miles, having passed Calvary and Chimney Rocks, you come to it what looks like a Canyon, huge rock formations!
If you like trees, the smell of the forest, rock formation, awesome views - this is a well worth hike. I took my time with brakes and a snack; it took me 3 hours round trip back to the parking lot. And I ain't no youngster.

View is decent but there are better trails. Not sure if I would do again.

Easy hike, nice pretty view points at both stops.

Nice gentle hike with spectacular views. We returned from Chimney Rock with the threat of a flash flood warning upon us. Able to return comfortably faster than the first stage of the hike to just beat the rain which may be useful info.

I know some folk have made negative comments but this is a bit harsh in our opinion. On another day, we'd probably do the longer loop, but we'd already done one hike that day, hence our choice. Hikes around and about here are all well marked so kudos to the authorities.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Friday, November 11, 2016

A moderately out and back easy hike to some interesting geological formations, starting from the Rip-Rap parking lot (on the west side) of Skyline Drive, at MP 90. Blue blazes mark the trail. There were no restrooms or port-o-pots at the parking lot.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Rewarding hike. The trails were narrow at times, but overall very well maintained. It is pretty rocky at times but never difficult.

We went over Labor Day and saw about 15 other groups hiking. I'm not sure if it's because we went over a holiday, or if the trail is usually very popular. We did see a bear on the drive in, but not during our hike. Keep an eye out for snakes, though. We did see a couple nonvenomous ones on the trail.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Monday, September 14, 2015

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Monday, September 30, 2013

Access from SNP at Riprap Trail Parking area. The trail is part of the Riprap Trail, which is a 9.8 mile loop trail. Lovely views.