Calvary and Chimney Rocks Trail [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(134)
Shenandoah National Park

Calvary and Chimney Rocks Trail is a 5.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 km Elevation Gain: 258 m Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Many trailheads in this park are closed due to COVID-19. Please check the park website for up to date info on which trails are accessible.

For an afternoon hike, venture to Chimney Rock, then head back.

If you go early I recommend going clockwise to catch the best views last but if you go later then counterclockwise. I went counterclockwise and completed the trail with Bella(German Shepherd) in around 3 hours. The sign at the trail head said this was an 8 & half hour hike lol. I even stopped a few times so Bella could drink some water and only ran a part of the moving pace.

Beautiful! The rock formations are stunning. A great short hike.

Beautiful vista despite going off trail

hilly with incline in both directions. first incline from parking lot seemed to be longest. views were great! we think we missed calvary rocks though. enjoyable and easy to access

Rocky and a few decent uphill jaunts. Recorded trail from Chimney Rock back to the parking lot via app. Narrow trail.

Loved it. Yes, I’d suggest clockwise. My feet are tired! But great hike!

hiked this on 1/12/2020 on a oddly warm mid january day, very nice overlooks at the calvary and chimney rocks, turned back after chimney, could see how it would be hard in summer with the growth as the trail was a tad narrow in portions, was not a strenuous hike and would definitely do again

Nice little day hike with the pup. Some moderate inclines, but nothing too crazy. The view from Chimney Rock is beautiful. Didn’t go the whole trail; turned around at Chimney. 10/10 would come back.

This was an awesome trail! You have a few streams to cross. I picked up Riprap Trail from Crimora. Going clockwise you take Riprap Trail to the AT then return on Wildcat trail.

We did this hike to catch the sunset and wow. The light was astoundingly beautiful. Still has some fall colors to admire at the outcrops. Thankful for my new hiking boots, as you need the ankle support for the rockier parts of the trail.

Fantastic! The leaves combined with the rockiness made it a little more slippery than I would have preferred but the view made it worth it! Not too hard for a good intro hike for a city kid.

It’s a fine trail but not a lot of room at the top. We got up there and there was a 30 person tour hike taking up the area and we had to ask to be able to see the view so I could at least rate the trail. So I would recommend going at sunrise. We went on a random Tuesday at 2 pm and thought we were smart! Also the way going back is fairly steep.

An awesome rolling trail that hits multiple peaks along a ridge. Great views from the end at Chimney rock, but watch your step!

Decent view at end, smooth ascend, bushes make this trail very narrow in parts, cool rocks when you get on ridge that’s why the call it chimney rock I guess

bridge out

a very nice view and an easy hike

This trail was just O.K. Great if you are looking for a short, easy hike. Views were good, but there are much better trails in the part. I don't regret doing it - but I prefer other trails.

Overlooks at Calvary and Chimney Rocks are spectacular; otherwise the trail gets monotonous. Rocks and roots were a bit rough on my recently injured ankle. Overall a nice workout with a beautiful view.

I would recommend this trail to people with children, beginner hikers, or just someone with a little bit of time on their hands. The hike to Chimney seemed more downhill than uphill most of they way, so more incline on the way back. It took me less than 40min to get there. Some areas of the trail were narrow, and I was brushing against bushes while walking. The view was nice, but I feel like other trail offer better. I was the only person, so I had a private vista. I would imagine it would feel a little crowded with a large group. I ended up hiking a bit father down the trail to get some more distance in. I got to the trailhead sometime between 830-9am and there were a few cars in the parking lot. I did not see anyone until just before the summit, another solo hiker and a couple. However, on my way down I passed a lot of people: a group of 15, three groups with children, two adorable dogs, and a couple solo/small groups. The parking lot was overflowing when I got to my car. Someone was patiently waiting for a spot, so I left quickly. I think I would be more likely to do Turk Mountain trail instead, if wanted a short hike. However, I plan on coming back and doing the Riprap/wildcat loop. Wildlife: I saw one deer on the trail. The area was restricted for overnight use. I spoke to a ranger and she said they have spotted a mama bear and her cub in the area, so hike with caution and be smart.

Nice Trail. As other commentors noted, it got VERY tight in spots where the scrub bushes began to encroach on the trail. the views from the overlooks were beautiful and the trail was well maintained and not too rocky. saw a big black snake and hears birds all around. there were bear warnings for further out on the Riprap Trail but we didn't see any. parking lot was full when we got there - there was an overlook 50 north of the trailhead so I suppose overflow parking could go there.

Awesome quick hike! Both views at Calvary and chimney are amazing! keep on mind the rocks can be slip, so please be careful!

closed

Fri Nov 16 2018

Nice moderate hike. The trail was pretty narrow most of the way. We felt very secluded. I don't think we passed but maybe two other hikers while we were on the trail. Really beautiful views at the top.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Nice hike through the woods - single file almost the whole way, a couple of nice views.

Fri Oct 27 2017

This trail is underrated. It was an awesome hike! Nor would I say that it was easy, but it was really worth it. Mile marker 90 on the south end of Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Rip-rap parking lot. You find the board that describes the trail and go north/right on the Appalachian Trail, just about a half a mile. Then take a left at the cement post for Riprap trail. A little rugged, always bring water and good hiking boots makes it better. But the trail just gets better and better as you go. After about two miles, having passed Calvary and Chimney Rocks, you come to it what looks like a Canyon, huge rock formations! If you like trees, the smell of the forest, rock formation, awesome views - this is a well worth hike. I took my time with brakes and a snack; it took me 3 hours round trip back to the parking lot. And I ain't no youngster.

Sun Sep 24 2017

View is decent but there are better trails. Not sure if I would do again.

Mon Jul 03 2017

Easy hike, nice pretty view points at both stops.