Buzzard Rock

Buzzard Rock is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Strasburg, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Very good hike, just decent views. The views are on the way up. The end is just where a few trails come together.

Only did the 4 mile( 2 in, 2 out) fairly simple. lots of trees to provide shade

Moderate ascent to first view of valley to north. As progress to Buzzard Rock, trail rocky and narrows. Great mountain views to both east and west when no foliage; otherwise west side has the views. Easy access to trail.

First 2.5 miles are great. Last 1.5 miles of the out and back were nothing special in terms of views, but a great workout. Really beautiful forest and rock formations throughout. Not my favorite hike in the area, but not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon. About 3 hours (with stops) round trip. As others have mentioned the trail is very rocky. Wear some sturdy shoes!

This is a great hike, and you are on the ridge line for most of it, so many opportunities for good views throughout. If you want to add about 2 miles and 1000 feet of elevation, start instead at Sherman Gap Trail, follow the trail up to the ridge line (you can see that path on the map All Trails provides) and then spend more time on the ridge line with great views. The best views are to the west, so to keep the sun at your back for photos, start by 8 or 9.

Got the the trailhead in the early afternoon on a Monday to find I was the only one in the parking lot. Didn't meet another hiker going out or back. First mile or so is pretty tame going through open forest. After that it begins to get a bit steeper. Once you reach the ridge the views are amazing the rest of the way. Particularly the views at Buzzard Rock. Truly spectacular for this area. At this point you can turn around if you'd like. You will find views of the surrounding mountains but none better than you've already seen, only ups, downs, and about 4 more miles round trip. I pushed on just to get the distance in. All in all it's a great hike with some solid views. Trail is a bit rocky so I couldn't push the pace as much as I liked. Took about two and a half hours total. I'd recommend shoes with ankle support. I recorded the hike and it was a cool way to keep track of your time, pace, and elevation but it drained my battery terribly so I doubt I'll use the feature again.

Great hike

One of my absolute favorite hikes!

great views.

Great hike! Great views! BUT, DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET OR IN NEIGHBORING DRIVEWAYS The parking lot was full so we parked along the road along with a bunch of other people and we all got towed. $250 to get your car back!!!!!

Love this trail! Part 1 is easy then after the overlook it gets more challenging but very doable and great views!

Nice trail with very scenic views along the top ridge. The trail is very sandy and loose at times, and cobbly and rocky at others. Once you reach the first overlook with views of the hatchery, it becomes a ridge hike with some interesting geologic features made of quartzose conglomerate. Not difficult due to steepness, but rather due to all the rocks. Most of the ten groups we saw hiked in sneakers, but I like my ankles, so I am glad we wore sturdy shoes. There were three discernable campsites along the trail. We started at 8 am on Sunday 9/17 and saw about ten other groups during our two hour hike.

You can have a good workout. The views were ok, nothing amazing but still a good hike with different terrains to work with.
Mosquitoes repellent can be a good idea.

Place was beautiful. Passed a few other hikers and pups. Lots of rocks cover the path. Wear good shoes. About 2 miles in made it to a beautiful view. Continued up at this point you're mostly on boulders careful of footing. Spot to climb and great views of valley.

Amazing view

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Nice hike with some good views. I'd rate it more on the moderate side of hard but you can still get a good workout.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Went on a solo hike today. did the whole out and back. Some great views. the overlook above the hatchery is beautiful. and buzzard rock is very pretty. Birds, lizards, turkeys and other wildlife out on the trail. a few small stream crossings in the first mile or so. Several camp areas and pre made fire pits. Not a difficult hike. moderate at best. Parking holds about 10 cars but its a bit rough if you only have a small car. Definitely recommend.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Sunday, March 19, 2017

I think this trail is on the moderate side of hard if it can be rated as hard at all. The Buzzard Rocks is the half way point of the trail. The trail continues on after Buzzard Rocks for another 2 miles, but one can turn around at any point. The ridge line after the Buzzard Rocks has 3 uphill sections.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Great trail, nice maintained trail with great views and different terrain changes.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great hike. Left mid afternoon and completed entire up in back route before dark. Lots of good views especially at the start of the ridge line. Two large boulders mark the end of the hike but we continued down to trail end before returning back to trail head.

Friday, December 16, 2016

My daughter and I went on a Wednesday morning in December. We were the only car in parking lot. And of course.....the views.

Friday, October 21, 2016

love this hike, have done it time and time again, depending on time of year there can be several others on trail.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Great day hike! The trail was easy-moderate in difficulty and it is well marked with white blazes. Great hike to see the fall foliage.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Great view!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Great hike!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The trail up to Buzzard Rocks wasn't a bad climb and the view down into the Shenandoah Valley was great on a clear day. Saw a few rock climbers on the cliffs but I was actually surprised at how empty the trail was for a weekend. I continued up the trail past the rocks until I got another 700 ft or so of elevation but the view was obstructed this time of year. Definitely on my short list to come back.

Monday, May 30, 2016

I loved this hike. Trail itself is mellow, well maintained and lovely. First lookout is beautiful, but it's not until you're about 2 miles in, cruising along the rocks that the true massif of the trail becomes visible. stunning views behind magestic slabs of rock. I'm a sucker for beautiful rocks, so maybe I'm biased, but I think this trail is one of my favorites.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Nice little stroll, with a fun surprise.