Buzzard Rock

Buzzard Rock is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Strasburg, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

great views.

Great hike! Great views! BUT, DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET OR IN NEIGHBORING DRIVEWAYS The parking lot was full so we parked along the road along with a bunch of other people and we all got towed. $250 to get your car back!!!!!

Alltrails says 7.5 miles on the GPS, 9 miles on my map: my fitness tracker said 8.4 miles. I found the hike moderate because of ground conditions but the length and climb may challenge some folk. I noted most did not hike past the “Buzzard Ridge” itself, which makes this about a 4 mile out-and-back.

Great views at many points and the flora was nice. The most notable fauna were the buzzards riding the ridge-lift just over our heads and a shaman hiking the trail barefooted. (OUCH!)

Love this trail! Part 1 is easy then after the overlook it gets more challenging but very doable and great views!

Nice trail with very scenic views along the top ridge. The trail is very sandy and loose at times, and cobbly and rocky at others. Once you reach the first overlook with views of the hatchery, it becomes a ridge hike with some interesting geologic features made of quartzose conglomerate. Not difficult due to steepness, but rather due to all the rocks. Most of the ten groups we saw hiked in sneakers, but I like my ankles, so I am glad we wore sturdy shoes. There were three discernable campsites along the trail. We started at 8 am on Sunday 9/17 and saw about ten other groups during our two hour hike.

You can have a good workout. The views were ok, nothing amazing but still a good hike with different terrains to work with.
Mosquitoes repellent can be a good idea.