Buzzard Hill via Appalachian Trail

Buzzard Hill via Appalachian Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from July until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike along part of the Apalachian Trail to the summit of Buzzard Hill. Along the way you'll experience a stream crossing, 2 ridge climbs, a very unique water fall with lots of interesting features, and the ruins of a cabin. The hike is loaded with 3 possible campsites, 1 equipped with a fire circle. The chance to view wild flowers, and water fauna are ever present in this hike.

My family and I really enjoyed this trail. The waterfall at the top was definitely worth the extra climbing.

I went with my boyfriend and dog and we had a wonderful time. It was a good difficulty with inclines and declines. We did some extra walking up and around the waterfall area and my dog walked around and waded in some of the deeper water areas. At the end, we climbed up some rocks to get a better view of the over look, well worth it. We plan on camping there sometime soon!

Great up and down trail with great scenery. Lots of wildlife moving about and very active streams with the rain picking up.

a bit difficult access, but a nice little hike, not too tough, nor too easy, loved the nice creek area you pass

Great hike. Was hoping for a rain to make the falls more exciting.

My husband and I enjoyed this hike. Trail is shaded, well maintained (part of the AT), some rocky areas, small stream crossings with plenty of rocks, lovely waterfall, and pretty views of the valley at the top. This out and back is a good combination of uphill and down both ways with neither one being overly tiring. Great short hike. Not the best we have done but certainly enjoyable.
Make sure you take the unmarked trail to the right when you get the the stream so you don't miss the waterfall!
There are pull off areas to park along the the gravel road across from the trailhead. We were there on a Wednesday and had no problem parking.

Did this hike today! It was exactly the length it said! When you get to the top there is a small overlook, but keep going a shot ways and then down a small path to the right to a beautiful overlook! Right before you get to the end it is kind of steep and rocky so be careful with your steps. The waterfall was pretty :)

Alltrails lists this hike as 6.3 miles. However, the app recording showed my out/back hike yesterday as 3.6 miles (including the short spur to the waterfall). Also, if you have a regular passenger car with little clearance (like mine) and are traveling west on Route 7 to get to the trailhead, I would recommend getting off at River Road rather than taking Blue Ridge Mountain Road. That saves a good distance on the bumpy gravel road.