Bull Run Trail

Bull Run Trail is a 17.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Centreville, Virginia that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

1929 feet
Point to Point

Follow blue blazes. There are mile post markers every mile. Trail proceeds east about 1/2 mile to Cub Run then south to Bull Run. Trail remains north and east of Bull run for 18 miles to the main parking lot in Fountainhead Regional Park. Watch for old Confederate artillary position near mile 4. Most of the trail follows the river bank but where the bank or feeder streams are impassable, the trail ascends into the hills. Trail can be seasonally muddy and there can be problems with stream crossings. There are side branches for horses in places where the trail is too rocky or steep for horses. Trail is very well maintained by PATC.

Man was this a great trail. It was my first one but I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 mile hike. I'll save the other part oh this trail for another time.

Regularly enjoy hikes along this trail, be they a short two-hour jaunt w my dog, or something longer. Have paddled half of Bull Run as well.

Great for runs, hiking, or simple walks. Easy trail and is well marked.

It was an awesome trail. We set out to walk from Bull Run Regional park to Fountain head. We actually only made it to Bull Run Marina. From Buil run park to Hemlock park the trail was extremely muddy which we expected but the trail was not marked well, lots of down trees we had to climb over, go under but due to there massive size most we had to go around by then we were bush whacking and had a hard time relocating the trail. Alternate routes were posted and we found out in order not to back track we had to ford a creeks that were waist deep. At least it cooled us off. Once we got about 1 away from Hemlock Park the trail was very well maintained until we bailed at Bull Run Marina. We had a great time our dogs had a good time. Word of caution be prepared for dogs off leash.

ran this today for about 4 miles. missed the blaze and it turned into a loop back to bull run road. It was ok because of the storm last night. Trail was like a swamp. met a huge turtle at the begining. I will return and finish this trail with 5 -6 mile out back runs. Not interested in this as a full hike.

I hiked 5 miles (total, out and back) with my dogs and it was shady and quiet. (Started at the Compton Rd entrance.) Not challenging at all, except at the trail entrance. Narrow trail at times where the dogs were walking one behind the other. Mostly grassy trails with several spots to let the dogs play in the water.