Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Buffalo Mountain Trail

Buffalo Mountain Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Willis, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Note: The trailhead is off of Moles Road, not Wild Mountain Road. Wild Mountain Road is PRIVATE PROPERTY.

One of my favorite hikes ever. Moderate. Great views at the top. Not super crowded but parking can be an issue. Porta potty at the parking area.

This hike has unbelievable views and a well-marked trail. I'll definitely be coming back.

All trails labeled this trail as 4.3 miles. That’s if you start at the bottom of the road. There’s parking lot at the top of the road. Walking road is dusty with cars. Trail is really only 2 miles in and out from parking lot.

This hike is listed at over 4 miles, but it seemed much shorter. I’d like to go back when everything is green. I’m sure the view will be more spectacular when the Rhododendrum’s are in bloom.

Nice hike..unbelievable view at the top!!!!

One of my favorite hikes. Beautiful views anytime of the year. Well marked trail and great for all, young and old.

GORGEOUS 360° view!

it was very beautiful!

Switchback trail zigzags up to the peak. The view is amazing from the peak. Usually rather windy due to nothing being there to break the wind. Pretty much a 360deg view. Simply breathtaking. Will definitely hike again!

My husband and I completed this trail on New Year's Day! Parts of the trail were very muddy due to all of our recent rains, but still passable. The hike was perfect, not to easy, not too hard. The views at the top are well with the hike! We spent quite a while exploring all of the mountain top possible, taking little trails that allowed various views! I could spend all day up there!

A hidden gem! Views at the top are amazing for such a short hike (maybe 2 miles round trip). The gravel road up to the trailhead is narrow and can be difficult when you meet another car. We met several fellow hikers who brought their dogs and kids (as young as 4ish). The incline going up isn’t difficult and most of the rocks in the path are stable. The drive up from NC was nice too.

DO THIS HIKE! Completely agree with all of the other reviews on this hike. It may not sound like much or get the same hype as some of the other hikes in the area but don't be fooled, buffalo mountain is an extraordinary hike. The hike itself is not difficult and I would certainly agree with its moderate rating. The views at the top are insanely beautiful and rival any other hikes in the area. Personally this is my favorite hike with a view in all of the area.

My favorite hike i’ve ever done. A must do if you live in the area. There is a porta potty at the tail head and a pretty spacious parking lot. Hike up was really easy and trail blazes were clearly marked. Awesome hike with a great view

Wonderful view, great hike!

Beautiful views!!

Excellent hike. As others have stated, the mileage listing on All Trails is from the last turn in the road. In your car, continue to follow signs for the Nature Preserve. It's a (mostly) gravel, one-ish lane road, but there's plenty of room in most stretches to pull over and let someone pass. Just one rut in the road, otherwise it's very well grated. You don't need an SUV or 4WD. From the parking lot (which looks like it could hold about 10-15 cars), it's a 1.1 mile trail to the top. RT was 2.2 miles. There is a port-o-potty at the trailhead. There are a lot of spider webs (and their residents) on the trail, so be aware if you're the first ones up (like us). The views definitely rival McAfee, and it's much less crowded! Enjoy!

I read others' reviews before visiting Buffalo Mountain- I've always lived close by, but never visited. It was truly an amazing view at the top and I really liked that the trail was short. It was a workout mostly because swarms of bees were all over me the entire trip up so I was going pretty fast. LOL. My sister and I were the only people on the trail both ways... it was a weekday. On the hike down we encountered a very large snake and some pretty scary growls from a fairly close animal we didn't stay to see. It was a very interesting experience with the wildlife but the views are better than McAfee's hands down.

A nice short hike but a decent workout due to the elevation change. There was a fair amount of poison ivy creeping into the trail which can be narrow at areas so long pants suggested. Nice views at the summit.

Beautiful hike, watch out for snakes!

lovely, well maintained and shaded trail. At almost 66, over-weight and out of shape, I completed the hike. I haven't ever hiked let alone "climbed a mountain" and it definitely wasn't a "cake walk" by any means, but I did it so I imagine anyone could. The view is impressively breath-taking and well worth the hike. Parked at the trail head parking lot and the AllTrails app clocked it at 1 & 3/10ths mile. The last 10th mile was a bit steep, but worth it.

This is one of my favorite trails that I’ve ever hiked. Short, but stunning views.

loved the veiw at the summit

Loved this hike! a must do if you're in the area. if you're using Google maps to get here, don't use buffalo mountain, as that will take you through a farmers property. use buffalo mountain parking lot instead. this lot can only fit about 10-15 cars. I went on a Wednesday at 3pm and it was empty. the drive up to here is a rocky road with a lock of potholes so I would suggest an SUV and to go slow because some of it is very narrow and cannot fit 2 cars. the trail has about 4 switchbacks up the mountains. 2 miles each way. it's a gradual up. not too many rocks to climb over (and certainly not a rock scramble, contrary to another person's review). it was a moderate incline. it took us 30 min to get up. views are gorgeous. it really is 360 degree views. they have a cute bench at the top for pictures I think I'll bring a picnic for the top next time.

Only 1 mile each way when you park at the trailhead instead of the gravel road. There’s a parking lot there so don’t be shy about driving up. The trail is quick and rewards you with an almost-360 view.

Great trail. Not too crowded. Be sure to apply your deet bug repellent before your hike. The trail is narrow with a lot of tall grasses ....tick favorite..?brushing your legs. Amazing views reward your efforts!

Steep but a great hike! Pretty easy

The views at the top are where the 3 stars come from. It's great, but the remainder of the hike is uneventful. Do park at the area up the gravel road if you can. If you park at the bottom where the trailhead was listed when I did it, you get a mile each way that's literally a road with cars passing you as they drive up to the real trailhead. Take a picnic for the top. I recommend this for kids, dogs, etc.

Beautiful view once you reach the summit! Nicely shaded hike.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

A TRUE HIDDEN GEM! so, before i talk about how much i loved this trail, ill start with the one thing i don't. the road leading up to it. it is a single lane gravel road. i honestly thought we were lost but after a few miles of driving, the trail leads to the start of the trail. Then the fun begins... the trail is not too bad. some parts suck (like most trails) but the view is 100% worth it. we stayed up on top for almost 3 hours. its an absolutely breathtaking view and more than worth the sketchy drive up. if you are on the fence about it, DO IT.