Learn more

Buck Ridge Trail To Mary's Rock Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(147)
Shenandoah National Park

Buck Ridge Trail To Mary's Rock Loop is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.8 mi Elevation gain 2,585 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Getting There

Nice moderate/strenuous loop that can be done by itself or included with an additional hike up to Mary's Rock. From the parking area on 21, head up the trail crossing the stream and go left to the blue blazed Buck Ridge trail. The first 1/2 mile is very steep and has more than 660 steps. Continue up the mountain passing a rock overlook until you come to a tee in the trail. Go right on the yellow blazed Hazel Mountain Trail for to the Hazel Mountain parking area. At this point you can either continue up to Mary's Rock or shorten the hike and turn right on the blue blazed Buck Hollow trail. To continue up to Mary's Rock cross Skyline Drive, walk 50 yards left uphill and head uphill on the Meadow Spring Trail for 0.6 miles passing the ruins of an old homestead about halfway before meeting the intersection of the white blazed Appalachian Trail and ridge line. Turn right on the AT following it for 0.8 miles before arriving at the junction of the Mary's Rock Lookout Trail. Turn left uphill on the Mary's Rock Lookout Trail and come to the Mary's Rock Vista. There is a fun rock scramble from here to the summit. To return, retrace your steps back along the AT and down the Meadow Spring Trail to the Hazel Mountain parking area on Skyline Drive. To continue, turn  left just below the parking lot onto blue blazed Buck Hollow Trail. The Buck Hollow Trail descends the valley crossing the stream several times. At the intersection of Buck Ridge trail, turn left on the Buck Hollow Trail and arrive back at the parking area.

For the Skyline Drive access park at the Meadow Spring lot, between mile markers 33 and 34. The 211 lot is on the left about 3 miles from Sperryville, as you drive west towards SNP.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (147)
Photos (564)
Recordings (148)
Completed (233)
Moises Ruiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Great Trail for a workout. Just make sure you are properly prepared. The trail gets very rocky, so hiking boots are recommended over regular sneakers, otherwise your soles will get a beating lol a hiking stick is also recommended as there are parts that are very steep coming back down. Lots of nats, but nice views with a few little waterfalls & streams, not deep enough to go for a dip tho. Started the trail @ 9:30am, finished @ 1:30pm. *Decided to go right, instead of left at the split* Parking on Buck Ridge Trail head is limited, so get there early. Going up to Mary’s loop is a lot easier than going up buck ridge. Nice overlook at the top. Oh, & keep your eyes open for black bear saw a couple cubs, didn’t stick around to find the mother lol

Utkarsh Agrawal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Utkarsh's Recording
Leah Houg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

This trail was awesome. Definitely moderate level. I left at 10:30 and finished about 3:30 with minimal breaks. Starts with some river crossings via boulders. You gain about 1,300 ft in elevation right off the bat. Highly recommend taking a left at the split when you begin so you can go uphill using the stairs. The decline is also steep of course. I wish I would have brought my walking poles. It can be hard on the knees. This also crosses over a parking lot by Mary’s Rock. If you’d rather do the minimal, start at the base of Mary’s rock and just do that. But I honestly enjoyed the hiking of the loop more.

David Colbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 21 2020
Running

Great trail but rocky. Beautiful views!

View David's Recording
Maura Henry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 21 2020
Hiking

Not that pretty, but easy to follow trail, a little rocky in places, good water crossings, no bugs, good workout, convenient but limited parking (free)

View Maura's Recording
Patty K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 08 2020
HikingIcyRocky

We had a wonderful time hiking this trail. We started at Buck Ridge Trail head at route 211 parking lot. Hiked Buck Hollow to Mary’s rock then return via Buck ridge. The views at Mary’s rock were well worth the steep incline and hard work to get there. My stats and map are a little off since I forgot to start the app until we were already 1.8 miles into the hike plus I forgot to turn it off at the end, hence the distance at the end down route 211 was not hiked but a car ride.

View Patty's Recording
CK Berrymann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Feb 03 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail and very clearly marked. From 211 we went left at the split to go “up the stairs.” It was a very rapid climb of approximately 500-600 steps. We crossed Skyline Drive to connect to the Mary’s Rock trail where there were great views at the summit. On the way back, you’re surrounded by creeks and streams which makes a peaceful return. Great views, especially in the winter with no foliage.

Pete Gonyo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jan 06 2020
HikingMuddy

A nice trail, challenging and loaded with elevation changes. I went clockwise and tackled the quite steep climb, Buck Ridge Trail has hundreds and hundreds of stairs without exaggeration. Mary’s Rock has a great place to rest and take in the view. Buck Hollow Trail has some nice (albeit tiny) waterfalls which accompanied me on the way back down.

View Pete's Recording
Em Levy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jan 01 2020
Hiking

Did this trail after catching sunrise at buck hollow outlook. Very peaceful, challenging, well maintained.

View Em's Recording
Marguerite Stevenson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Dec 15 2019
Hiking

The trail was so beautiful! Lots of waterfalls and streams and a great view to start. We were on a ridge and saw mountains on either side of us for the first half. Loved it. Hard start but the rest is quite pleasant.

View Marguerite's Recording
Elisa Arthofer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Nov 28 2019
HikingBlowdownRocky
View Elisa's Recording
Josh Bochette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 08 2019
Hiking

I work out twice a week I run 2 to 3 times a week but this hike kicked my ass. At some point you may want to stop and turn around before you get to the best of you at Mary’s rock just keep going when you get there you know you’ve earned it. Took my one year-old Aussie he did great matter fact he pulled me up the mountain the majority of the way. I’m 36 years old and this is hands-down the best hike I’ve had my life. If you’d like to trail run I did run in any spot that I could and I finish this loop to Mary’s rock and back in about three hours may be a little more but if you’re looking to just hike figure five hours plus easy.

View Josh's Recording
Harold Siegel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 23 2019
Hiking

A beautiful hike on a gorgeous fall day! While "crowded" with a few AT through-hikers today, Mary's Rock arguable offers the best views in the park, and to earn the view with slightly more elevation gain than Old Rag is quite fun. The smell of the recent rain and soft leaves was accompanied by several lovely toads. Buck Hollow is very secluded and special. Hiking time for the six of us was around 3:50. We spent about a half hour on the summit.

Sergey Bubka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 20 2019

Tough trail but not as bad as some reviews suggest. My 12 yo daughter managed okay, some of the comments here had me concerned beforehand. The Buck Hollow / Buck Ridge trail loop is a fantastically built and there was little traffic, beautiful backcountry! The views at Mary’s Rock and the overlooks nearby really were incredible and worth fighting the traffic in that section of woods.

유 우현
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 24 2019
Hiking

내가 다녔던 등산중에서 올드랙보다 더힘들다고 생각한다. 너무 무더웠고 바람도 안불어서 힘들었던 기억이다. 하산하고 집에와서도 몇일후에는 다리가 아파서 고생했지만 마음은 즐거웠다.

Daniel D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 09 2019
HikingMuddyOver grownWashed out

My wife and I hiked this excellent trail a few weekends ago and it was a pretty great hike! We arrived early in the morning (7:30 am) and it took about 5 hours. Fantastic view at Mary’s Point; it was very much worth it. Trail was steep and it was slippery at times; I recommend not going when it rained the night before. Other than that, had an awesome time!

Kevin Reger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

Note the trail head is from a small parking area on Rt. 211 just after you pass into SNP on the left. Really enjoyable hike that we measured 9.3 miles on our Garmin including Mary’s rock and took just under 4.5hrs with short stop at the top. Went up clockwise wanting the steeper uphill side first. There are lots of spider webs as advertised but I got bonus points by walking first ahead of my girlfriend and clearing them away. It was cloudy so a bit of a bummer on the lack of view but I imagine it would be amazing from those rocks. Worth it but should check the weather to get those views.

Brooke Reamer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 27 2019
Hiking

I did this on a Saturday and was pleasantly surprised that the top of Mary's Rock wasn't too awfully crowded. My GPS said the hike was 9.65 miles (that includes me wandering around at the top). It took me 4 hr 25 min, not including the 50 min I spent at the top. I went clockwise, starting with the stairs. The stairs are tough, but good cardio. A lot of the trail is easy and flat. The only strenuous part was the stairs, and the climb up to Mary's Rock from Skyline Drive was fairly steep, but not bad. Great views! The Buck's Ridge part was not busy at all, so I enjoyed the solitude.

Shannon Giles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 16 2019

Love it!!

David Pirnia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 22 2019
HikingRocky

It was a great view but perhaps not worth the effort to go and return from the buck hollow lot. I liked that the trail was not too busy. Mary’s rock was busy but we got a chance to check out the top. I accidentally left the app recording while we drove off so the stats are very wrong now.

View David's Recording
Leslie Giberson Fehan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 21 2019
Hiking

Steep up the stairs! Steady climb up, nice views on the ascent to Mary’s Rock. Lots of water on the way down. It was pretty! I would rate hard as it’s a good climb up and rocky coming down. Beautiful day, very few people.

Matt W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Apr 18 2019
Hiking

This is a nice trail. It has good elevation gain. One thing is most of the beginning and ending part of the trail doesn’t appear on the All Trails Map. We had to rely on Hiking Upward for directions.

Derek Entrekin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 09 2019
HikingSnow

Amazing hike thru pristine snow. Fog made the view at Mary’s rock limited to 1/4 mile but that added its own mystic. The climb at the beginning going counter clockwise was intense for me, weekly hiker. After that, though, it was a nice pace the rest of the way.

View Derek's Recording
Amy Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Nov 19 2018
Hiking

We had no information on this trail prior to hiking. We happened upon it when Skyline drive was closed due to ice and snow. From Rt. 211 we started on the Buck Hollow trail. There are two streams which we had to hike over but there were large rocks to step into. When we got in the fork of Buck Hollow and Buck Ridge we decided to go left and take Buck Ridge. Wow, the beginning was tough and challenging. Lots of steps. I don’t know how far we hiked. The trail was snow covered. We unfortunately weren’t able to make it all the way to Skyline Drive. At about the 2 hour mark, we turned around on Buck Ridge and returned to RT. 211. It only took an hour to get back down. We definitely could have used poles on the way back down. We saw deer tracks and another animal, which I assumed was a dog. Thankfully I didn’t see any bears! Challenging, but enjoyable!