Browns Gap is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Port Republic, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,200 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Many trailheads in this park are closed due to COVID-19. Please check the park website for up to date info on which trails are accessible.

Browns Gap Trail ...... followed All Trails directions, no markers for Browns Gap but went till app said we were off trail ..... roughly 2.6 ...... very rocky and steep, dogs did okay just beware that it could hurt their paws especially if it’s hot out ..... bugs were a challenge for some of the hike Enjoyed to hike, views were good as you can see the ridge line across on Tray foot Trail

A great workout. We started at Browns Gap parking and hiked to the Locust Mountain Campground and the amphitheater. Great views at the theater. The total for us was about 7 miles out and back.. Lots of thick brushy areas the second half. Varying degrees of difficulty throughout. My 11 yr old son was with us and he did it just fine!

I caution dog owners, there’s a lot of rocks that could hurt your fur baby’s feet/legs if they were to step wrong but very good hike, pretty view and clear markers

As a 23 year old who considers myself to be somewhat in shape - this trail kicked my butt! The fire road is pancake flat for the first but until you reach the pillar that starts the actual trail. At first, the trail remains somewhat flat, but if you follow the recording to the sharp left-turn, it's all uphill from there. Footing was fine, but certainly rocky - DO NOT hike this without actual hiking footwear. Views are pretty nice throughout the hike (I hiked in January so there was little foliage) The steep incline ends around 2 mines in and levels off at a stand of Pines. the end of the trail is unremarkable, as the blue blaze you had been following merges with a dark green. The trip down took a toll on my feet and quads - great workout. I'll probably do it again.

This route is mostly just the more rugged/difficult part of Austin Mountain trail which includes a couple open spots of views where the rock slopes are. Once you get past the rocky portion, the rest is a much easier/steady ascent. Did this in late fall so I could already see out through the trees, but this trail seemed to have more opening than others and probably still good views in the summer. I notice some of the map layers in AllTrails (OSM / OCM) do show a short trail going up to the summit of Austin Mt, but I did notice any obvious trails when passing the spot it was supposed to be. Although the main trail itself is missing from the AllTrails map anyway same as Rockytop and Lewis trails.

This hike was beautiful!!! Beware, harsh on the ankles and hips. It wasn’t what I expected but it had incredible views for a significant portion of the trail. The reason it was harsh was because of the various sections of chucky rock paths, probably 4 or 5 total, they made it hard to find reliable footing and I caught myself slipping enough to know not everyone should do this hike. I didn’t see any marked parking and went before I saw any other cars but there was makeshift parking outside of the entrance so it was no problem. I actually almost missed the entrance to the actual Brown Gap trail just because it doesn’t say what it is on the markers but just know it’s the first real looking trail about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the entrance. Hope all this helps, I had an incredible hike!

We did the loop that included 3 trails and a little over 7 miles. The trail had some challenging parts and difficult changes in elevation. The trail was well marked. We came across 3 Black bears (mother and 2 cubs) about 20 yd away on the AT. Mother sent the 2 up a tree while she watched us leave very briskly! Very scary situation for us. All in all excellent challenging 7 mile loop. Walking next to the sound of the water in the stream and the various waterfalls was amazing. The only reason not 5 stars was the long uphill fire access road....no view and very boring. Good luck and watch out for bears and snakes!!

Mon Mar 11 2019

Encountered a black bear, about 100 meters away!!

Thu Jul 26 2018

Tough trail.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Challenging trail...

Mon Feb 13 2017

Nice workout hike with lots of varying terrain. Some woodland trail, some very rocky sections, some fairly steep, some easy going. Not much for views. Would be nice to figure out a bushwhack to the peak. I did not see any evidence of waterfalls, but maybe it's just been dry around here (I'm just visiting family).

Sat Apr 11 2015

Almost all uphill for the trail head we decided to take. There must be two because they come to a point market before turning into one trail to go to the top. Very rocky so proper footwear is a must, as well as water reserves as it's a demanding hike. The views were okay, nothing extraordinary. We hiked this in April, but did not get to see any of the waterfalls :( maybe next time we'll go up the other trail and get to see them!

Sun Aug 19 2012

This trail loop incorporates 3 different water falls and overlaps a section of The Appalachian Trail, all in one tough hike. Jones Falls, Doyles Falls and Brown Gap are the main attractions of this 6.6 mile demanding trek. You will absolutely want to bring water reserves during the hotter summer months and dress appropriately. While I was here in April, a rainier season, the waterfalls were perfect and swollen. Trail conditions can be challenging in some parts, make sure your checking reports up until the day of your venture.