Bottom Creek Gorge Trail

Bottom Creek Gorge Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shawsville, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Bottom Creek is a powerful mountain stream that forms a stair-step series of broad-basin waterfalls known as the "kettles." One of the headwater streams of the South Fork of the Roanoke River, Bottom Creek boasts a 200-foot high waterfall. Flanking Bottom Creek are forests of mixed hardwoods (tulip poplar, maple, oak, hickory) and upland meadows. Five rare species thrive in this habitat. Please note the stream and waterfall may be dry dependent on seasonal weather conditions. Most often, however, there are spectacular views in the distance of one of the highest waterfalls in the state of Virginia."

Nice secluded hike. Good crop of poison ivy. Probably best when the leaves are off the trees. Easy grades. Keep in mind that no dogs are allowed

Loved the tranquility and dappled sunlight. Surrounded by beautiful green foliage. Wish we could get closer to the water, but still lovely. The blue trail offers insight into history which adds to this hike's value.

Nice hike. Lots of poison ivy. Plenty of tulip poplar trees. If solitude is what you are looking for, this is your trail. It is very lightly trafficked. The waterfall was a little disappointing. Some challenging upgrades.

Great hike!! Not too heavily-trafficked a lá McAfee’s or Dragon’s Tooth. Gorgeous view of the falls. The little gem of a side trail off of Knight to the creek is lovely. The only thing that bugged me is that the trailhead is CLEARLY marked ‘No Dogs’. But coming back there were a few ‘dog people’ on the trail who clearly didn’t care about the rules or the social compact (not leaving dog poop everywhere!). The Nature Conservancy has that rule for a reason you thoughtless, selfish twits.

I did this hike with my 5 children (ages 13-4). it is definitely family friendly which was really nice. I took other's advice and we went up the blue trail and back home on the red trail. the trails were extremely well marked and very well maintained. because of the heavy snows this spring very little was in bloom yet. I was a little disappointed because I thought we were hiking to a waterfall similar to what we experienced hiking the Cascades but instead we hiked to an overlook that looks across to the other mountain where the waterfall is. you can only see the waterfall from a distance and I'm not sure how well you can see it once the trees bloom. we did have a lovely day and enjoyed the woods very much.

Bottom Creek is a good solitary hike. I've hiked this trail several times and each time find myself in a soul-searching sort of mood. this hike is good to help you work through any issues in your life. Very tranquil.

loved it hiked the blue to the red and back tracked down the yellow ,we did it with my 9 month old ,very shaded peaceful hike

Very peaceful. Trails clearly marked. Saw a couple of deer.

Great place. They respectfully ask for no dogs on this trail. Trails are well marked. Lots of wildlife. Great view of the falls. Would like to find the house and the cemetery.

Definitely haunted

Our hike came after several weeks of drought so the waterfall was not active, but the hike was beautiful nonetheless. I recommend doing the loop clockwise making the trail quite easy.

Was a great hike for the family! Definitely will go back soon!

The trail says no dogs but I've taken mine and they were able to keep up, and no one said anything about us having the pup with us.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Falls were a bit dry this year but the overlook to them was great! Knight's trail was really overgrown though but still easy to follow the markers.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Getting closer to the waterfall would have been nice!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Great trail. I hiked 5.06 miles from parking area at front gate. You have three choices, the red blaze trail (shortest), yellow blaze and the blue blaze. I started up red blaze, turned left onto yellow blaze, a nice stairway down to the rapids on this trail, rejoined the red blaze to the overlook of a 200 ft. Waterfall, 2.6 miles to here. Ate lunch at the falls overlook, back on red blaze, soon turned on blue blaze. Huge grove, thousands, of old growth hemlocks on the blue blaze. Rejoined red blaze back to parking area. Took 2 hours, elevation change from 2,559 ft. To 2,137, to 2,657, then back to 2,559.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Love that it was family friendly for my 7 year old, and just strenuous enough to keep things interesting for the rest of the family. The view was great, but it would be nice to get closer to the water.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

beautiful day hike, it snowed which was a bonus, the gorge was impressive

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Nice trail but a little below my expectations. Being able to get closer to the falls would be better.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This hike was short, but beautiful. The gorge was more than I expected, and quite breathtaking. It is suitable for families. I would highly recommend and plan to return.

Monday, May 08, 2017

One of my favorite hikes, beautiful no matter what time of the year you go. A couple different trail choices, 2nd highest waterfall in VA, some remains of homes/farms of Civil War deserters. Highly recommend going mid spring or fall.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Great hike! Took our two kids (4 & 8) and we did the Blue Trail loop to the falls overlook, then hiked the red trail back to trail head. Awesome views of the falls!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Fun, easy hike, with a nice drive to reach the trail head. Love that there are no dogs!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Great family hike and the waterfall is incredible ❤.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Beautiful trail, not overly difficult, older kid friendly, beautiful view of bent creek falls.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

good hike.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

good hike

Friday, January 20, 2017

Great hike with options, not strenuous, make sure to consult the map at the intersection about a mile in to choose your route for the day, recommend taking the yellow trail back from the overlook and going down by the creek on your way back, and the old settlement is a neat place to see.

Saturday, November 05, 2016