Bluebell Trail

Bluebell Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Centreville, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 36 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Travel 8 miles south of Front Royal on US 340 to the park entrance. Continue straight on the main park road for approximately 2.5 miles. When the road Ts, turn right and follow the road until it dead-ends at the campground parking lot. Bluebell Loop begins in the eastern corner of the campground.

There was no sign to mark this trail. I recommend parking at the water park and crossing the road and starting at the White Trail. At the gun range we lost the trail and picked it up half a mile later after walking through the campground. I wouldn’t recommend this trail off season.

This trail is definitely not stroller friendly. We went shortly after the blue bells, so mostly heavily wooded with zero markers. We definitely got lost even with the map and ha FYI turn around when we had a snake slither quickly past my friends feet. Rather scary, and a sign that perhaps we had gone too far in or were off the path. We had toddlers, preschoolers, & a carry on infant. The cool thing was that there were frogs& tadpoles, and other critters that the kids loved & thanks to my hubby being there, kids had a blast. There is a nice park out of the path area by the visitor center. Though the older lady was not so nice with the kids, the park it self is nice and you can bring a lunch for a picnic. Oh and all the mud. Boy was it muddy, just come prepared.

Markers are a little hard to find. And you aren’t paying attention you are going to hit a lot of spider webs.

When the Bluebells are out, this trail is beautiful. However, there are frequently a number of illegal quads on the trail and throughout the park (thus some of the trail damage) that the NOVA Regional Park Authority seems to have no interest in doing anything about. Unfortunate for a place that you have to pay to use at times.

This is an ok beginner trail. Very noisy with the gun range and water park.

It was beautiful to walk beside the river and see bluebells as far as the eye can see. I just recommend not going when they’re at peak bloom because it was very crowded. Look out for frogs when walking on the boardwalk cause we saw a ton.

wonderful sights. Did this trail with my 3 year old son, and he had a great time. We will definitely come back again!

Simple loop trail that’s perfect for families. Beautiful bluebells everywhere. It was muddy today, but there are some boardwalk portions. Park at Atlantis Waterpark and cross the road. Well marked with signs and blue blaze.

Sun Oct 28 2018

started on the blue Bell trail until the blazes seemed to stop. overall nice trail for fall leaves. shooting range is loud, but friendly folk as you walk by.

Thu May 17 2018

An easy loop, a bit more people even during the weekdays. Be sure to go when the bluebelles are out, otherwise I think it might be boring.

Fri May 04 2018

An easy trail loop following the white trail. We went mid April and missed the bluebells. We only saw one sad plant on the entire trail. The trail is noisy from the gun club nearby. Watch your step! The trail was muddy in places as others mentioned, and also had horse droppings.

Sat Oct 28 2017

This was a great trail with my two young children (3 and 6 at the time) and our leashed German Shepherd. We went while the bluebells were in bloom and they were gorgeous. There was some flooding, as some of the trail is below the flood plain, but we got through it ok. It took some maneuvering and climbing over fallen trees to avoid the worst of the flooding, but nothing too crazy. Worth it for the scenery and flat terrain.

Tue Jul 18 2017

Very disappointing. The trailhead was not clearly marked. Apparently I was supposed to take the White Trail but it was not marked as the Bluebell trail. Then I saw a sign that said to follow the blue blazes. After about 10 minutes I realize that is not correct either. I had the Alltrails map up on my phone and could clearly see I was moving away from my intended trail. After backtracking and trying to follow the Alltrails map in reverse (this was a loop trail so it didn't matter which direction around I went) I am told to follow the paved road for a bit then cut onto the trail, which I discover is indeed the White Trail. This 'trail' goes beside a discus golf area and a very noisy waterpark. Not what I'd hoped for a Sunday walk in the woods, and a far cry from the Conway Robinson trail I took lkast week, which was a real gem.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Sat Apr 15 2017

Easy trail. Good for a one time walk

Sun Apr 09 2017

Love this trail for the bluebells. You have to come in early April to see them! It gets a little crowded during bluebell season but it's a fun short loop that isn't difficult at all. It gets muddy though. Outside of bluebell season it's a little less crowded and I still love to do it if I just need a quick walk outside with the dog.

Tue Aug 12 2014

Perfect trail to ride bikes or walk your dog. It follows the river bank so the views are good.