Big Levels to the Blue Ridge OHV Route is a 17 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Stuarts Draft, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and ohv/off road driving and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,814 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Note: This trail is CLOSED (gate is locked) during winter months. Additionally, use caution after large rain events to avoid getting stuck -- this is not a high traffic trail.

ohv/off road driving

This trail was alot of fun. Has rocks, mud and tent campsites along the trail.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail - quite challenging for a stock Land Rover LR4. Very rocky on the posted alternate trail (damaged the side wall of all terrain tires). Mud holes in the upper portion appeared approximately 18-24” deep at worst as of mid-October. Great dispersed camping at Big Levels at the bottom of the trail. No facilities but lots of privacy in sites spread out along the access road.

ohv/off road driving

Went last Saturday, Great trail, took longer than expected to get through but well worth it. It was a little bit overgrown but that’s the life of off roading and the chances you take. Some of the water holes are great to go through but be aware of what you can’t see, those holes are deeper than you expect. FYI, if anyone finds a license plate UYZ-9*** that would be mind as I’m pretty sure I lost that at the bottom of the 4ft deep water hole. But again the chances you take. Over all I recommend this trail for slightly experienced crawlers. Had a lot of fun.

This was my second time on this trail, went this past Sat-Sun, the weather this time was certainly more appropriate as it was warm and everything had grown back. It had rained the day or so before so any holes were full of water up to our doors. If you like your paint job, this definitely isn't the trail for you, however it's got it's fair share of minor to moderate rocky terrain. Vehicle on the trip this go around were my 07' FJ Cruiser 3"lift 33.5" off road tires, 10' Jeep Wrangler minor lift 35" off road tires, 99' Tacoma SR5 3RD with off road tires. All three vehicles traversed the terrain with no issue. However the Tacoma's alternator fried after the mud holes, so be careful. There are some places to camp out, with enough space to set up tents. This is a fun day trip or weekend trip. Enjoy!

ohv/off road driving

Just went for the second time this past Saturday, and went down instead of up. Both ways have their challenges, but it was still awesome. Do pay attention especially if taking the “alternate” routes. Can be very tight at the end as it’s over grown, so full sizes beware you will scratch.

ohv/off road driving

went down while visiting the area. first off, if you're driving a stock vehicle (exclusion of pretty much just rubicons) or large/full size vehicles, this trail is not for you. the end of it is VERY tight and overgrown, in my mind size I got substantial scratching all up the sides, good ammount won't buff out. but, this trail is pretty awesome. rocky sections are pretty challenging, not for beginner off-roaders. skid plates are highly recommended to keep your oil in your truck, lots of small/pointy rocks. towards the top it gets relatively easy and there's a few sections with awesome views! the side by the highway has tons of pretty large/deep mud that's intimidating. it was about 2.5-3' feet deep when I went, I know cuz I fell in while testing it with a stick. one sections doesn't have tons of rocks and you could easily get stuck, but most of it's pretty rocky so with moderate speed and good tires you can make it through. great drive. took me about 3hrs to get through. tons of fun!

First time being up this way. Drive a Tacoma with 3in lift and 33s. Due to the recent rain the mud/sand/water holes were pretty deep. I did happen to get stuck once in a rather large hole, water was up above my wheel wells (about 4ft). I ended up using crawl control to pull me out. Little bit nerve racking to be honest. Other than that, the trail was a blast. As mentioned in other reviews, it’s SUPER overgrown. I tried to break/axe off some larger overhung limbs. But my paint definitely looks awful now. If you like your paint, I wouldn’t go up there. Definitely watch the mud holes as they can be deceiving.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail! Good mixture of everything! Rocks, hills, mud, puddles. Took a Raptor (wide on trail, alot of scratches), Titan (wide on trail, alot of scratches), Tacoma Off-Road (great turning radius for some turns). I think with good tires and small lift you will make it thru. Weather was 70s, rained a few days before.

ohv/off road driving

Me and my buddy spent the weekend out there. The camp spots are really nice and have a beautiful view. BEWEAR THE REASON I GAVE THIS TRAIL 4 STARS IS BC AT THE END OF THE TRAIL BOTH OUR CARS HAD TONES OF SCRATCHES!! I drive a 06 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 with a 2.5” leveling kit in the front and all terrain tires and he drives a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 stock. The trail was a awesome experience. I have from the south and have never driven on rocks before so it was a first for me. There are a total of about 6 rock climbing parts that I was a little nervous about but I had no problems tackling threw them. Towards the end of the trail there is a big water hole witch is about 30yards long and the water was up to my headlights. There is away around it but why take the easy way? We didn’t get stuck once but I do advice you to go with a extra truck bc I only saw 1 other vehicle go down that trail during my 2 days of trail riding.

ohv/off road driving

Trail is way too overgrown with brush and will trail rash the hell out of the paint job. The brush is so bad on the majority of the trail that you can't even open your door. Also, it was kind of boring since there wasn't nice scenery to look at due to really thick brush blocking all your view. The bald mountain side of the trail was the only part that was fun because of the deep water holes. I probably won't be hitting this trail again. Here is a video of the highlights of the trail: https://youtu.be/s0VQM_BM5TE

ohv/off road driving

Amazing trail with overall excellent road conditions as of June 4, but the upper portion of the trail closer to the southern trailhead off the Blue Ridge Parkway is severely overgrown with shrubs on both sides of the trail. Be prepared for some major paint scratching (i.e. don’t take your brand new Range Rover Velar down this trail) I did both ends of the trail (on separate day trips) on a Fifth Gen. Ford Explorer with a 2.5” lift and stock sized tires. With the lift the trail is doable even with heavier duty all season tires when the conditions aren’t muddy. The lift is a must if your stock ground clearance is anything less than 9”. Recommended 10” ground clearance if you don’t want to go around every corner worrying about undercarriage damage. Definitely worth exploring, just be prepared to do some exterior detailing when you go home!

Drove this trail in my Ram 2500 Power Wagon. There is plenty of trail for the large footprint, BUT the Laurels are overgrown on most of the trail. Scratches were unavoidable. Height was not an issue even though we had kayaks at almost 9 foot. Not many lookouts or clearings in the trees to enjoy the views. Lots of campsites scattered throughout the trail. Hard by no means, maybe if it were wet...

Sat May 04 2019

Great scenic view lots of wildlife. great fun day going to take some time to get the Jeep cleaned