Belle Isle Trail

Belle Isle Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Loop

stroller friendly

This is an easy trail for the inexperienced, out of shape, middle aged, knee replacement needed woman like me. I love traversing the rocks out to the river and the pools and rapids that are seen along the way. I love that there are restrooms available half way through the trail as I have downed a liter of water by that point and what I haven't already sweated out, I need to get rid of as the kegels aren't what they once were. The pedestrian bridge offers beautiful views of the city. Watch out for the homeless spiders that have set up their own city between the rails. Truly, this is my favorite trail and if I die falling on those rocks by the river, I'll die happy.

Easy trail with lots of places to explore off the beaten path. We enjoyed climbing on river rocks and exploring historic ruins. There was some trash and graffiti but the trail was still enjoyable.

bridge out

My kids and I enjoy hiking here for the history of Richmond, but please leave the graffiti and trash somewhere else. Political and social messages spray painted on the rocks. Trash not in trashcans and camp fires being started on the rocks as well.

Two styles of hiking here - a narrow trail through the interior with lots of branches to explore and a wide-open flat canopied promenade around the perimeter. Both - really nice. Hot days feel cooler walking along James River rapids in the shade. Bring swimwear. Park and river offer enough room to accommodate all the people drawn here. I hiked the interior for about 30 mins on a very busy Saturday. Didn’t see anybody.

Was here on Memorial Monday morning. Saw a lot of beer bottles and soda cans on the rocks. Guys and gals, clean up after yourselves!

there's some really nice Scenic views on this Trail. It is a little hard to find the entrance to the bridge, just keep alongside the river and you will eventually find it. Don't let the private road signs fool you

I’m in Richmond on business and this was a very pretty trail. Lots of people, so I felt safe. Easy trail, but lots to look at.

Nice combination of woods and paved trail. Able to extend or take alternates. Didn’t do the whole loop as we saw the other bridge across the James so called an audible and took a detour. Definitely do this one again

Super easy! Beautiful to look at. Not advanced, but fun to do every once in a while.

It was a great little hike. It had rained two days before and it was not too flooded when we went. We were going to scope out the rock climbing and they have some good problems up with hooks all ready to go. We will for sure come back this summer to work on the problems. Four stars because it was a little dirty but that’s kind of expected seeing as there was a ton of people there. There were kids smoking pot in the woods too. But in all it was great!

If you like rock climbing this is a great spot!

One of my favorite go-to walks. It's beautiful in all seasons, always something different to see no matter how many times I go.

I mean, it's Richmond, so yeah there's TONS of trash everywhere. However, deep in the parts where people are usually to lazy to walk, everything gets BEAUTIFUL! Also, there are walls to rock climb. I do this with my parents a couple of times throughout the year.

Grew up on going here, I grew up not far away and my dad literally grew up across the river. It’s a beautiful place and a must see for anyone visiting Richmond! Pet friendly, handicap accessible,hiking,biking,swimming,rapids, views, historic....you have everything in one spot.

Mon Dec 10 2018

Definitely my favorite trail in RVA. I usually go here a lot with friends, and it’s always an easy and historic trail that never ceases to be fun.

Thu Nov 08 2018

Nice level trail. Not to crowded during the week. Little dachshund didn't have a bit of trouble walking the loop.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Easy. Fun. Crowded. Easy and fun hike for about 2 miles round trip. Parking at the lot is a challenge. Lots of people show up on a nice day. Lots of dogs. I will go back.

Tue Oct 30 2018

Great dog walk

Sun Oct 21 2018

Tue Sep 18 2018

I've been coming here since high school! It is very populated so it is best to go on week days. The parking lot is usually overflowing. It is best to drive across the bridge and park on the other side of the river and you can walk from another bridge and go about that way. There are lots of rocks to stop and swim along the way. Unfortunately, I have stopped going here due to increase in trash/broken glass. Still a very cool place to explore in the middle of the city!

Sat Aug 11 2018

Really interesting trail, but very populated. It's an easy hike with a lot to see and several spots for the pups (and you) to swim. The bridge over the James River was a really cool way to start and end the trip. The structures and rock wall along the way were really cool places to explore and take photos. I'd say it's more of an urban walk than a hike, though. We had to park a bit up the road (parking is very limited, especially for how busy it is) and in total "hiked" just over 3 miles from start to finish.

Thu Jul 19 2018

Great trail just to get out and about. Very easy. Make it longer by walking the Buttermilk trail to Belle Isle.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Very neat trail. Shaded and a lot of historical pieces along the trail. Bring water and bug spray!

Mon Jul 02 2018

Great views of the James River. Fantastic place to go for an afternoon stroll. Pack a lunch and enjoy a superb river view from downtown Richmond. Some bouldering or mountain biking can be thrown in for an extra fun element.

Thu May 17 2018

Enjoyed this. Easy walk, beautiful day, not too crowded during the week. A few good photo opportunities

Mon Apr 23 2018

Other than the history of the Bell Isle, and exploring the old power plant, this hike is fairly lame. If your looking to pass some time or can’t really find anything else to do in Richmond, I guess I’d go here.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Great walk with nice views! Easy trails. Perfect distance for the dog who loved it!