Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Belle Isle Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Loop

stroller friendly

Loved this hike! It isn’t a strenuous hike by any means, but it is full of opportunities for exploration and education. The island’s structures and history will engage your mind, the scenery will engage your eyes, and the adventure (if you seize the opportunity to explore) will engage your heart.

This is a good and easy trail for everyone including children. Easy to follow.

Great trail with lots to see. Dog and kid friendly. Great views.

I love this part, but getting over the bridge to get there can be stressful. it's very windy and some dogs don't like it. The park itself is really pretty and a lovely trail to walk on.

Great trail to walk or ride on. Trail is in pretty great shape and wide enough to pass.

very simple trail. couple porta potties along the way. Very beautiful place especially during the weekdays to just BE. lots of history and gorgeous hiking along the James! get off the couch and come have fun chiefUNcut YouTube

Great trail with large loop that covers riverfront, wooded and large rocks over a stream. Good place to bring your dog also.

Great walk - just be prepared on a windy day, the bridge will noticeably sway. This was a little challenge with children, but still very enjoyable.

Belle Isle is a Richmond classic. Going over the suspension bridge you get beautiful views of the city and river. Once on the island, unless you take side trails up the hills or down to the rocks, the trail is very wide and flat. There are many opportunities to take side trails to explore different parts of the island, and if you are able, you can climb down a short ladder on the far side access the rock maze on the south side of the river (I highly recommend this as they are beautiful). There are ruins of a hydroelectric factory from the 1800’s on the south side of the island that you can see from the trail. The only reason I would give this 4 stars is because of the sheer amount of other people here. This could be either good or bad, depending on how much solitude you require. Lots of fun swimming opportunities during the warm season!

Always a favorite

This is an easy trail for the inexperienced, out of shape, middle aged, knee replacement needed woman like me. I love traversing the rocks out to the river and the pools and rapids that are seen along the way. I love that there are restrooms available half way through the trail as I have downed a liter of water by that point and what I haven't already sweated out, I need to get rid of as the kegels aren't what they once were. The pedestrian bridge offers beautiful views of the city. Watch out for the homeless spiders that have set up their own city between the rails. Truly, this is my favorite trail and if I die falling on those rocks by the river, I'll die happy.

Easy trail with lots of places to explore off the beaten path. We enjoyed climbing on river rocks and exploring historic ruins. There was some trash and graffiti but the trail was still enjoyable.

bridge out

My kids and I enjoy hiking here for the history of Richmond, but please leave the graffiti and trash somewhere else. Political and social messages spray painted on the rocks. Trash not in trashcans and camp fires being started on the rocks as well.

Two styles of hiking here - a narrow trail through the interior with lots of branches to explore and a wide-open flat canopied promenade around the perimeter. Both - really nice. Hot days feel cooler walking along James River rapids in the shade. Bring swimwear. Park and river offer enough room to accommodate all the people drawn here. I hiked the interior for about 30 mins on a very busy Saturday. Didn’t see anybody.

Was here on Memorial Monday morning. Saw a lot of beer bottles and soda cans on the rocks. Guys and gals, clean up after yourselves!

Fri Apr 26 2019

there's some really nice Scenic views on this Trail. It is a little hard to find the entrance to the bridge, just keep alongside the river and you will eventually find it. Don't let the private road signs fool you

Tue Apr 23 2019

I’m in Richmond on business and this was a very pretty trail. Lots of people, so I felt safe. Easy trail, but lots to look at.

Nice combination of woods and paved trail. Able to extend or take alternates. Didn’t do the whole loop as we saw the other bridge across the James so called an audible and took a detour. Definitely do this one again

Sun Jan 27 2019

Super easy! Beautiful to look at. Not advanced, but fun to do every once in a while.

Mon Jan 07 2019

It was a great little hike. It had rained two days before and it was not too flooded when we went. We were going to scope out the rock climbing and they have some good problems up with hooks all ready to go. We will for sure come back this summer to work on the problems. Four stars because it was a little dirty but that’s kind of expected seeing as there was a ton of people there. There were kids smoking pot in the woods too. But in all it was great!

Sat Jan 05 2019

If you like rock climbing this is a great spot!

Thu Jan 03 2019

One of my favorite go-to walks. It's beautiful in all seasons, always something different to see no matter how many times I go.

Mon Dec 31 2018

I mean, it's Richmond, so yeah there's TONS of trash everywhere. However, deep in the parts where people are usually to lazy to walk, everything gets BEAUTIFUL! Also, there are walls to rock climb. I do this with my parents a couple of times throughout the year.

Sun Dec 23 2018

Grew up on going here, I grew up not far away and my dad literally grew up across the river. It’s a beautiful place and a must see for anyone visiting Richmond! Pet friendly, handicap accessible,hiking,biking,swimming,rapids, views, historic....you have everything in one spot.