Beaver Lake Trail

Beaver Lake Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterfield, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Beaver Lake Trail @ Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield, VA

Nice, mostly shaded loop around Beaver Lake. Look for beaver lodge in lake. Good wildlife viewing, especially from the boardwalks. On the easy side of moderate because terrain is fairly level. Overall, best hiker-only trail at Pocahontas State Park.

Nice long walk

Nice open beautiful views! If you are a beginner it might feel longer then the miles posted, but it's a great workout, not too overwhelming. My family and I enjoyed it very much!

I've written a blog post about this hike @ www.break-trail.com
If you'd like to read it, follow this link: https://goo.gl/7mYmnt

It's got your ups, your downs, your turn arounds. Nice easy short walk in the woods. Bluff over lake is great.

Great easy trail. The path is easily identifiable with clear directional markers.

sometimes get to see deer, and bald eagle fly by

nice trail, well maintained and easy to follow. the trail skirted the lake in Pocahontas state park and has little elevation change. hiked in December, not much to see. there were a few boards with information but they are old and challenging to read. one overlook, a bridge over some marshy areas. didn't see much wildlife - perhaps bring binoculars for animal spotting.

Nice scenery. Inclines aren't too bad. Saw 4 other people over a period of 3 hours on a weekday. Bring your hammock/tree straps and have a quiet picnic by the creek.

Decent trail. some grade changes along the way. watch for roots and rocks and fallen trees. Seen plenty of wild life along the way. my 7 year old had no problems here. Nice cool and shaded.

so pretty and great for kids

Great for family, the dog, and a good, clear path. Well shaded, even during the heart of the day.

Pretty trail run that can challenge you if you push on the ascents. Love the views of the lake as you work around it. A few switchbacks but nothing overly technical.

Great views of the lake. The raised trails are neat.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

I enjoyed this trail in a moderate downpour of rain, but the tree canopy was so high and thick that it was just a mist by the time it reached me. This was an easy trail, almost no climbing. The small lake was pretty, despite the clouds and rain.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Beautiful views!!! Favorite trail here at Pocahontas so far

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Nice trail with plenty of level changes to work the back of the calves. Easy enough for younger one and wide enough for a whole family and some dogs. Great views and a few floating docks to stop and fish or grab a picnic lunch.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Great trail! I took my toddler for his first hike here and he was easily able to complete the whole thing. The nature center was also really fun for kids.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Well-maintained and peaceful

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Friday, August 05, 2016

This was my wife and I first trail we had ever walked and it started a new addiction!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

I really enjoyed the trail. I also took my little dog with me and he love it. The trail has a few docks where you can view the lake which is nice. The trail is well kept and clearly marked. During one part of the trail it crosses a sandy stream which my dog loved. He jumped in and cooled off. This trail is very dog friendly and I will be doing this one again!

Monday, January 04, 2016

Great short hike with scenic views of the lake. Went as a Cub Scout hike and found lots of evidence of deer, beavers and other wildlife just off the trail.

Wednesday, November 04, 2015

We hiked it on a fall weekday with my 12 & 7 year old daughters. (school was out for election day) I was also carrying my 5 month old. We ran into another family, a few joggers & a couple with a dog while on the trail. We spotted a chipmunk, a frog and lots of squirrels. This hike is especially enjoyable because it circles the lake. The kids loved the view from the 2 piers along the way. We also crossed a stream that the girls were able to explore a bit.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Great simple short hike. Good views. Not too hard.

Friday, December 26, 2014

Short, sweet and to the point. We had a lot of fun here. There are a lot of dogs o this trail and if your dog's are as unfriendly as mine, it can be a problem, but the scenery was splendid and as it's only part of a larger park system, there is so much more to do and see.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pretty trail, but bring bug spray in the summer! I take this trail a lot, and my kids 10 and 5, have no problem walking the whole trail! If you only have time for one trail at Pocahontas this is the one to take!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Definitely my favorite kind of trail. Beautiful woods, shade most of the way, hilly and some nice water views.