Bearfence Mountain Trail

Bearfence Mountain Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shenandoah, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

fly fishing

After parking in the Bearfence Mountain parking lot, cross Skyline Drive and follow the blue blazes of the Bearfence Trail. The Bearfence Trail leads up a steep slope that eventually turns into a scramble climb that to the summit of Bearfence Mountain. Blazes mark the best scramble climbing route. The view from the summit is well worth the climb and is one of only three summits in the park that has a 360-degree view. Getting down from the summit requires a short scramble climb, after which the Bearfence Trail returns to a normal hiking surface. The Appalachian trail can be accessed from either one of two right turns from the Bearfence Trail. The second right turn should be followed to complete the one-mile loop. The Appalachian Trail leads back down the mountain to Skyline Drive. The scramble climb makes this trail a unique hike to a great view. Anyone who is reasonably fit and flexible should be able to handle the scramble climb (my eight year-old daughter handled it with ease), but hikers who have issues with heights may want to skip this trail. Near the summit, the climbing path occasionally passes within eighteen inches or so of sheer drops. This is also definitely not the trail for families with kids small enough that they have to be carried.

Really good trail.

Great trail, lots of rock scrambling. Great views too. Not terribly long, so very good for teenagers.

We absolutely love the views at the summit point of this trail. It’s a quick trail with a few trickier spots to climb if you go the way of the rock scramble. This is always our first go to trail in SNP because of the views.

The wife and I spent a whole weekend hiking Natural Bridge Cedar Creek trail & The Caverns plus Monacan trail then we went to Crabtree Falls. We also hopscotched different trails on Skyline drive. Although this was our shortest trail it was the hardest for me because I have a lot of metal in my foot. The rock scramble was rough on my ankle. Second mistake I made was I had on hiking shoe and not my boots. I did find out there is a easier way. Cross Skyline Drive and climb the stairs up the bank. At the trail post, turn right onto the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) south. Go left on the connector trail, then turn right on Bearfence Loop Trail. You'll see the viewpoint on your right. Retrace your steps to the starting point.

Very short hike but the scrambles are awesome!

Fun little scramble and hike.

Had a great time climbing the rocks and a beautiful view!

Spectacular views and fun to climb the rocks