Beard's Gap Hollow Trail

Beard's Gap Hollow Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Millboro, Virginia that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

Directions from Clifton Forge, VA: From Clifton Forge, Virginia head east on I-64 to Exit 27. Turn North onto Rt. 629 and travel three miles to the park entrance sign and four more miles to the park office. Beards Gap trailhead is in the second parking area after the entrance.

My family hiked this trail on our way back to White Oak campground in a circuit that included the Tobacco House Ridge trail and Blue Suck Falls Trail. In all we hiked 5 miles total. The trails in Douthat State Park are very well maintained. My only complaint is that some of the signs were a bit confusing. Be sure to take the park trails map with you. See the picture of the confusing sign we encountered on our hike.

There's a Beard's Gap that goes east from the office that is moderate too easy. It has amazing views of old rock formations and streams. Well worth it!!

Friday, April 13, 2012