Learn more

Basin Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fort Belvoir, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 144 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail for wetlands wildlife and bird watching.

very good trail for all ages.

No one warned me I’d have to go through the gate at Fort Belvoir! It would have been nice to know so I could have been prepared! Not wanting the interaction with the people at the gate, I turned around and went to the only trail that we passed near the entrance thinking that maybe I passed it or I could at least get a walk there... Nope! There’s a big sign that says warning unexploded devices are in the ground and don’t stray off the path... ummm, that’s not going to work with my two dogs, so I left. I drove over an hour to get to a path that I couldn’t even use. Guess I learned my lesson about trusting this app!

bridge out

Beautiful very secluded peaceful trail. The highlight was Basin Overlook.

We are introducing our kids to hiking with light packs and this a great easy trail. The differing terrain is great and the weather today was perfect. I don’t think I’d like to come in the summer with all the stream crossings as there would be lots of mosquitoes though.

Basin Trail + Loop Trail.

Very nice trail. Well marked easy for older pups with benches along the way for rest and water breaks.

great trail to spend a little time in the woods and get away from the city.

Fri Jun 14 2019

Did a short out & back along the bay and up the trail to the overlook from the Fort Belvoir Travel Camp Trail was wet after several days of rain, but boardwalks bypassed the worst muddy spots. Trail is shady. Lots of birds along open areas and the bay.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Nice views, could be better marked and needs more bridges. Too muddy.

Fri Feb 15 2019

From the trailhead at the Visitors Center, turn L towards the mint marked Beaver Pond trail. (Sign indicates straight and L.) Follow this until it becomes the yellow and mint marked trail (part of the loop trail). This will put you on your way to Basin.

Sun Feb 10 2019

nice and easy

Sun Jul 01 2018

Some of the signs on the trail are a little iffy, but overall pretty easy hike. Saw plenty of wildlife. Be prepared to have to either jump over water or wade through it bc the walk ways installed over them don't always cover every bit of water.

Mon Sep 29 2014

Directions leads to an army facility. Follow signs to Basin Trail - (before the security gate). Signs warn to stay on the trail because of possible explosives! The trail was serene, but very under utilized and unkept. Wonderful wildlife - turtles, lizards, frogs! Large bodies of standing water means intense amount of mosquitos. Started on Basin Trail -> Beaver Pond Trail, but ultimately could not connect to Great Blue Heron Trail without wading through the creek - IMPASSIBLE. Definitely not worth traveling for.

recorded Recording - Apr 19, 04:57 PM