Ball's Bluff Regional Park Loop

easy 163 reviews

Ball's Bluff Regional Park Loop is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Leesburg, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 308 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

There are many trails in this park if you wish to extend or shorten your hike.

Great hike. Usually a little muddy and slippery. 6 stream crossing with rocks. I did orange to green to blue to red. Trail markings are difficult at times so have map handy. My hike was 3 miles at 2 hrs.

Nice trails

Found my way back to the stream bed that I saw last time out here while walking withy brother. Less water running but still so relaxing and calming. I had some problem keeping on the trail a couple of times as there are so many fallen leaves that covered it up in places. I still want to find a quicker way to that spot and back. The orange trail will take one there and back though.

2.2 shorty hike on Christmas 2.0 day, high crowds for location, warm for season, new Undercover boots

all trails locks you in, I didn't do this trail and it didn't record the full 4 miles we did. fun though, higher crowds today, perfect weather

Moving clockwise on the trail. Largely clear and well traveled dirt trail through the woods, some rocks and roots but not so much that they create difficulty in the beginning. Orange trail is very obvious and well marked for the first half, but the AllTrails map tracks it precisely. Good trail 4 dogs, path is mostly open. There is an occasional stream to cross on stones which could be a problematic after a heavy rain. Elevation changes are moderate. There were a few downed trees, none of which made passage difficult. The steeper declines toward the end of the trail have more rock and root due to washout. Toward the end, the Orange trail becomes marked with a green or aqua color, never to see orange again. Later it converges with many other trails so it becomes difficult to stay on this precise path. The trails also have signage with names in lieu of colors. I think the Orange trail is the Loop Trail but it does get a little confusing when they all converge and overlap. Keep the all trails map open, it is extremely helpful to get you back on your selected path if you stay off as I did. Balls Bluff lists this as 1.7 miles, AllTrails as 2.3.

A little hard to follow trails but beautiful

Nice trail for being so close to town. Easy trail was definitely easy. The moderately difficult trail had several hills. Mainly going down to creek crossings. Lots of shade. Although there are blazes on some trees it was difficult for me to matchup the markings with the map they provide. I had to cross reference it with my All Trails map.

Nice trail with easy to follow markings. Easy enough for the young ones as well.

has variety of intensity, although a bit confusing keeping on one trail with all the storm debris. excellent for all ages with lots of historical info

River is low, some blow-downs, but they’re small and not an issue.

Trails were ok (a bit muddy do to recent rain) and lots of bugs (I sprayed with off before starting). While the trails were well worn, they’re not well marked. The blazes are few and far between, and the markings on the trail don’t clearly correspond with the maps available in the parking lot. For my first time in the park, I really like to have clear markings/maps so I have a good sense of where I am.

I loved! Easy trail for when you don’t want to get too tired! Dog friendly m (my dog loved) but was muddy since has been raining a lot the past couple of days. It’s pretty, quiet, clean and easy!

great trail for beginner hikers who want a little challenge. Would recommend taking the extended trail west ward past the Potomac river trail. it will add about a mile to the hike. Expect some steep well worn and marked trails. Also lots of Creek crossings, my kids love that part of the hike.

I loved this trail I rode my mountain bike and my mom hiked. We both loved the scenery and the trails. The trails are good if you are good at riding over big roots,rocks,and steep climbs and steep decents

Trail would be great if it was better marked and had better signage. Beautiful blue bells!

Easy trail, nice trail for a quick hike. view of the Potomac River is nice... lot of history at this park

Sun Oct 21 2018

The battlefield area didn’t do much for me but nice hiking trails. Easier trails with nice hike along the Potomac.

Fri Oct 05 2018

The area is pretty. Trails are fairly easy with minimal elevation gain. It can be muddy in places after it rains. Several stream crossings on the orange trail. Trail map and trails themselves aren't well marked - some have the blazes and then when you get into the cemetery area where all of the trails converge, the trails have names which are not indicated on any map. There is a port-a-potty in the parking area.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Great trail and hike, but the mapped loop was not all the orange trail, some of it was blue and some red blazes. Lots of intersecting trails here so I’d suggest having your phone well charged to navigate!

Mon Jul 16 2018

Great short easy hike with my daughter out of a whim. Will be back and take longer path next time.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Hiked the orange trail with our 3.5 year old, he had no problems or issues at all. Fun trail, fairly secluded considering we went on a weekend mid-July. Mostly shaded. Unfortunately not much of a view at all, but the historical aspects that you come across are rather interesting.