Ball's Bluff Regional Park Loop via Potomac Heritage Trail

easy 23 reviews

Ball's Bluff Regional Park Loop via Potomac Heritage Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Leesburg, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 232 feet Route Type: Loop

Lots of elevation changes following mostly the Potomac Heritage Trail by the River. Several blow downs to maneuver around and some mud. Nice hike overall after I created my own path around the outskirts of both Balls Bluff and Edwards Landing parks.

Balls Bluff Orienteering. Good navigation today

Our main concern is finding trails good for walking our dog — I really like this park. The trails are nice & wide. There’s enough space for you to pull over on the side & let ppl pass w/o being in bramble, high grass or weeds. The trails are NOT well marked. I suggest taking Ur phone! Ur position is clearly marked on the App & at any junction you can easily reference your location on the App & determine which direction. The Potomac Heritage Trail is a little sketchy near the water w/ a puppy. The distance from the trail edge to the cliff edge, at spots, can be inches & it’s a 50+ foot drop. This Potomac Heritage Trail (green, I believe?) is more heavily trafficked then some of the other trails. We switched over to the yellow to get away from the cliff edge and b/c it’s Oct, w/ the heavy leaf fall, at times, it was hard to determine where the trail was! Once again, this is where the App comes in handy! We ended on the blue trail & this one again, seemed more heavily trafficked and easier to find the foot path. All-in-all, BallsBluff is one of my favorite parks in the area.