Austin Mountain and Furnace Mountain Loop

Austin Mountain and Furnace Mountain Loop is a 11.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,822 feet Route Type: Loop

Great views and interesting terrain.

We did this trail from the boundary line rather than from skyline drive, also counterclockwise. We first went and did furnace mountain submit, which was most of the uphill part of the hike. The rest was more downhill, relaxing. The views o can’t judge, it was cloudy/foggy so I didn’t get to see much. Blackrocks area was super cool, there were some neat rock formations. Austin mountain didn’t really have a summit or super great views but did have cool rock fields. I think overall this hike was only cool because of the rocks. Also we got 13.7 miles, not 11.2.

Beautiful and challenging hike! well worth the effort. I tracked this on my GPS watch and clocked 13.3 miles and 2800 ft elevation gain, which is very different from the info in the description, and I did not skip the Furnace Mountain summit. We ended up seeing a baby bear 20 ft from the trail, with no mama to be found, and ran into another hiker who encountered a large bear in the same area (around dundo campgrounds) We made a lot of noise and didn't run into issues, but definitely felt more relaxed armed with bear spray.

By far the best hike I have done in Shenandoah. It is quite the trek (closer to 13 miles if you go to the Furnace Mountain summit) but the views are spectacular. Make sure you do the detour to the top of Furnace and leave time to admire Blackrock Summit.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

If you hike this route, I strongly suggest traveling counter-clockwise. I didn't and I paid for it. Beautiful trail but a real challenge.

Saturday, September 23, 2017