Appomattox River Trail: Abutment Dam to Battersea

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(26)
Petersburg, Virginia

Appomattox River Trail: Abutment Dam to Battersea is a 5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Petersburg, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 180 feet Route Type: Point to Point

partially paved

The Appomattox trail is a GREAT PLACE for fishing, kayaking, hiking, etc. It just depends on what trail you start at. The Chesterfield side is the best side and walk straight to the abutment dam. The colonial heights/Petersburg side, is severely ghetto (depending on the crowd and area). Great river, just sketchy people around it sometimes. If you plan on hiking it or fishing it, go to Chesterfield/Motoaca side, been going ever since I was a small child !! Stay safe out there, God bless.

My gps takes me to a neighborhood. I can’t find the trail....

Sun Apr 28 2019

watch out for copper heads

Sat Mar 23 2019

This is a beautiful trial but in the summer it can get over grown with weeds so ticks are really bad. Pulled like 9 of them off just walking on the trial itself. Parking lot has huge potholes so be careful coming in. Also if your a female I would not advise this trail alone. I carry a firearm when I walk it as I have had creeper experiences while walking.

Sat Aug 11 2018

The actual trail is a wide open old road. The smaller trials near the river edge are nice to explore along the river. But to the west (of where I started at) gets a bit overgrown and hard to travel. The canal gate and abutment dam are worth seeing to the west. I will come back with my mountain bike to go to the east.

Thu May 17 2018

Great trail for everyone! Flat , paved , and water.

Mon Apr 16 2018

it's just gorgeous. Waterfalls, picnic area,

Fri Oct 20 2017

Perfect place to go to take a quick hike. I don’t recommend doing it alone or at least have protection, there are some shady people living out there.

Sun Mar 19 2017

Not the best area. Trail was nice until we got to an old homemade bridge. Tough getting a dog to cross over it.

Tue Mar 14 2017

Jesus Christ I received a tresspassing warrent!! the homeless guy with the black jeep who drives down from West st entrance.. back there Forrest heacock.. he treatings anyone he sees he has 3 big dogs beware....game warden want tell him to leave cause he's on Petersburg side...Dinwiddie would make homeless guy leave...he has 10 tents n trash just before the dedicated bridge...good luck

Sat Sep 24 2016

Section from Roslyn Landing behind Southpark mall was paved and a great fast ride. Next section in Petersburg began near VSU. Nice wide trail, gravel mostly. Some hills but nothing major. Cool little bridges across some river sections. Fun ride. Only negative was knowing the area is not the safest. Be aware of your situation on this trail and bring your CC permit if you got one.

Tue Jul 19 2016

Great ride, a mostly flat trail. Some hills. It was easy enough that my 7 year old had no problem staying ahead of me.

Sun Mar 06 2016

Upper trails is to follow. Flat, straight and very few people. A Subdivision backs up to a majority of the upper trail. The upper trail ends at a damn. You have to tune back to get back to the beginning of the trail. Total of 3.5 miles. Sometimes you will see people fishing the bank. There is also a lower trail that you can get to by following some steps down a hill at the beginning of the trail. It's a little steep and you do have to use some tree roots as a stepping area but the trail goes in and out of the woods as it follows the river downstream. The lower trail is much narrower and in the summer it's a little more weeds. I also walked it during the winter months when rainfall has been heavier. The trail was blocked by some water runoff so I wasn't able to log the entire lower path. I did get in .75 miles.

Sat Aug 18 2018