Apple Orchard Falls Trail

Apple Orchard Falls Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 889 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Glasgow, VA: Head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 15 miles to Sunset Fields Overlook, milepost 78. Trailhead is in the parking area.

Decent hike, I wasn’t very impressed with the waterfall

I would highly recommend this hike for all ages. Still one of my favorite hikes in this area. If you’re able to hike it after a good rain, the falls are spectacular!

Lots of stairs and pretty wooded areas. Waterfall not as impressive as one might have hoped for but the journey was worth the effort.

Great little hike. Beautiful wooded area. Trail is pretty open, is a bit rocky here and there. Took about 1hr 25 minutes, spent 30 minutes snacking at the falls for just under 2 hours total. The climb up is not too bad, after many of the inclines, there are flat areas to catch your breath if needed.

took this trail with 2 adults, 2 dogs, and a 7 year old. started off fairly easy, though a rocky walkway, and quickly turned into a very difficult path. mainly uphill for the entire hike up to the falls. lots of climbing required. dogs and kid made it but it wasnt without some difficulty. recommend to take lots of water and snacks and wear good shoes for this one! all in all it was a fun hike. took us around 4 hours for the entire hike to the top and back, which included a 30 minute rest at the top.

Nice short trail. Not awfully difficult. Allow 3 hours out and back. Better if the falls is running full.

I am beyond out of shape and this trail just confirmed it. The hike down was beautiful and I stopped often to just look and explore. The falls were limited which was a bit surprising after all the rain we’ve had lately. But it was still beautiful and just the perfect day!! The hike up about killed my lungs, having my inhaler helped. We celebrated with a beer at the end. It was about 70 at the top and dropped a good 10 degrees in the shaded forest. We can’t wait to return in the fall as well. There are also spots where you can tell folks stopped to camp! So we are excited to do that as well!

Thank you, Jesus ... we made it out alive! Today, the water wasn’t flowing very strong so the fall was more of a trickle. The hike down was a bit hard on the knees and super steep. Hiking up was super tough for me! Would love to hike this trail again in the fall and perhaps when I’m in better shape

Nice trail, falls are nice but depends on water levels. Trail can be narrow so passing people can be hard. Dog friendly.

Fun but challenging trail down to falls!!!

Great hike to the 2 waterfalls. Be sure and apply bug spray. Trail downhill to the falls and uphill coming back up to the Parkway. Trail is 3.8 miles round trip.

Beautiful trail, easy access. Downhill all the way to the falls, which means uphill all the way back. The trail is mostly under tree cover. Bug spray recommended. You'll come to a small falls first, then the big falls are just a bit further. There's a viewing platform, but unless the trees are bare (winter), you'll want to continue down the staircases for the best view at the base of the falls. This trail is close to the Peaks of Otter area if you need the restrooms, store, etc. Our stats: 3.22 miles 1:20 hours 998 elevation gain

Awesome hike, beautiful waterfall.

Challenging for a newbie, but do-able if you allow yourself recovery breaks. From sunset overlook, straight down, then all uphill. There us some very magical awesomeness along the way...take time to take it in. There is one downed tree after the crossroad, about 2/3 into the hike, but it's easily navigable if you go around it.

The hike in is all downhill. Shady the whole way. The first falls you come to is not the big one. Keep going past the rhododendron flowers and down the stairs to see the main falls. The hike back out is more strenuous since it is all up hill. Water at the falls was nice and cool.

My boyfriend and I went on a Friday around noon and we only ran in to a couple people on the trail. It was fairly muddy at different points. When you pull up to the parking lot the app tells you to cut to the right and go down a gravel road, and the left turn on to the trail is subtle. You can go straight past the sign and there’s a trail but we weren’t sure if it connected. It’s all downhill the way there and the way back is all uphill with areas of stairs. The waterfall is amazing!! Absolutely beautiful. Pictures do not do it justice. Highly recommended hike.

More Moderate imo. Trail follows the creek most of the way so beautiful hike, some spots are muddy and you cross the creek a few times. Well made stairs and patio right at the last falls.

Hiked this Monday, May 13th. Only a few other hikers on the trail. Downhill entire way. Return uphill is gradual, didn’t ever feel steep. If you are going, be sure to keep going after the first small waterfall near bridge. Go another 1/4 mile, you will walk down a bunch of steps to a nice platform and viewing area to main falls. Really beautiful! We almost missed it because we thought the first waterfall was all. Mileage in app is incorrect, we finished at a little over 3 miles and about 2 hours.

not a bad hike short distance but not much of a waterfall

Great hike, but the climb back to the Sunset Field Overlook is challenging. The bridges and steps are a real help.

Beautiful and impressive falls with great bridges and stairs!

Absolutely loved this trail! It’s officially one of my favorites! Went on an overnight trip w/ people from the ODU recreational outdoor & conservation club. It was super cold during the fall so I would recommend bringing warm stuff! The views of the changing autumn leaves were just amazing. The hike to the falls was awesome!

Thu Nov 29 2018

2-18, Such beautiful waterfalls and bridges! This is one of my favorite hikes in VA. You really feel like you are in an enchanted forest. We went on a foggy day which made it look even prettier! Highly recommend

Sun Sep 02 2018

as a beginner hiker I found this trail pretty challenging. I was able to do it, but the trail is pretty steep so be prepared, particularly for the way back as that is the up hill portion of the trek.

Fri Aug 31 2018

Probably one of my favorite hikes I’ve gone on recently, the beginning is a little boring but trust me it’s worth it later on

Sat Aug 25 2018

A pleasent trek down to some beautiful falls. The hike back up can be challenging.