Apple Orchard Falls Trail

Apple Orchard Falls Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Glasgow, VA: Head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 15 miles to Sunset Fields Overlook, milepost 78. Trailhead is in the parking area.

Beautiful trail! I hiked it both in the spring and for my birthday in the fall. Very different looks of the trail. Recommend it in the fall with all the leaves but if your looking for the water falls, probably go more in the spring.

The falls are remarkable and the hike is challenging for beginners, but just take your time. There are plenty of places to catch your breath and take in the whole waterfall system. Don't miss the main lower falls. The upper falls are beautiful, but be sure to continue until you go down tons of wooden steps.

This trail has a beautiful waterfall at the end. With that being said... it's not for the novice or barely fit. The amount of steps that are involved in the hike was insane for me. I will definitely go back when I'm in better shape. ;-)

Absolutely beautiful. Get there early to beat a crowd. I was able to sit at the base of the falls and enjoy lunch before I saw another person.

This hike is moderate at best, not hard. The trail is all down hill to the falls. There is a small set of falls before the actual falls, don’t mistake those as your destination. The falls were full as we have had a decent amount of rain the last couple of days. There is a nice deck at the base for viewing the falls but if you climb the rocks to the right of the deck you can easily climb to the top of the falls, just be careful as it is very slick. The hike back up is slightly steep and constant, but the short distance makes it easily accomplished with not much effort

Went the day after a rainstorm (2+ inches) and it was phenomenal. We hit a bridge next to what we thought was the actual waterfall, and were later stunned when we hit the real one almost by accident. Don't stop until you reach the wooden platform! Seriously, this hike was mind-blowing with that much water. The stream all the way down was rushing with white water. Highly recommended. FYI it ended up being about 2.5 miles round trip for me.

This is a great half day Trail if you go to the falls down and back. The falls are wonderful and the deck at the base is a nice feature. We went on another mile past the falls before returning back out. Trek back out is moderate and uphill the whole way so dig deep. But it is worth the effort.

Tough climb back up but worth it

A bit much for young kids

Love this trail. Have hiked about 5 times so far. A favorite. Easier each time. Totally worth it.

Great hike to waterfall and pretty quick. Gets busy during midday. We brought our dog and wish we would have gone earlier in the day to avoid the people.

This was the most beautiful hike I've ever done! The waterfall at the end of the trail is breathtaking. I would strongly recommend this hike.

This hike was quick and pleasant. The downhill to the falls was relaxing. The falls themselves, though small, were very unique. I went in the summertime and the entire trail was lush and green. Though the uphill on the way back was a bit difficult, it is not far. The trail was well-maintained, and I never felt like I was going to slip on the way up or down.

Short hike from Blue Ridge Parkway of approximately one mile. Pretty steep coming back up if you are not in great shape but otherwise very clean and beautiful. It is a small waterfall cascading over small boulders.

My first difficult trail. Sort of by mistake. The steep trail was a definite workout. The views, falls and rock formations are beautiful

Beautiful views, I also combined the hike with the adjacent Apple orchard and Cornelius trails.

I combined the Apple Orchard trail and Cornelius creek trail. Great hike but very tiring!

Friday, June 09, 2017

Difficult, steep climb on the way back but the beautiful falls make it worth every step!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Beautiful trail. The trail is steady elevation change the whole way so make sure you are ready for it.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

It's a good quick hike. Defiantly harder than I thought it would be but not to bad. The hardest part is the way back because it's all up hill.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

I hiked on an overcast day. We did the loop. Nice hike. The trail gets a lot of activity especially between the parking lot and the falls. In the summer, there are swimming holes.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Strenuous on the way back. The water fall makes it worth it! Not a bad hike. Decent.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Worth it. Yes, strenuous on the way back out to the BRP, but worth it. Multiple beautiful falls. Depending on the time of year, mountain laurel blooming. Some areas are slippery. Some over-hanging rock formations.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Beautiful hike! The last 0.8 ish miles are definitely more strenuous than the whole rest of the hike, but the falls are gorgeous and make the effort worth it.

Friday, June 19, 2015