Appalaichian Trail to Scales Trail Loop

Appalaichian Trail to Scales Trail Loop is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mill Creek, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Located in Grayson County in the far southwest corner of Virginia, just a short distance from the North Carolina border. It can be reached by traveling on I-81 South to Marion, VA. At Marion take VA 16 South (Buchanon Highway) to Trout Dale. From there head west on VA 603. In 2 miles make left onto USFS 613. After about 2.5 miles go through gate and park within fenced camping/parking area. Trailhead is marked as Appalachian Trail, just beside camp host trailer. Note, USFS 613 is a very rough road, not really intended for passenger cars. Though I did make the trip in a minivan, something with a more reasonable clearance is definately recommended.

Beautiful high county nothing to steep but still vary rock and awesome the ponies are cool some are friendly and some not so friendly but it's beautiful and I highly recommend it

I hiked from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to the Mount Rogers summit (November 2015) on a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. The open views on this section of the AT are spectacular. I really enjoyed crossing Wilburn Ridge. I took the more direct and rocky route on the way out and the somewhat less challenging 'bypass' on the way back. The trail also takes you through Rhododendron Gap and by the Thomas Knob Shelter (shortly before the Summit Spur). There was a mommy pony and her young pony hanging out in front of the shelter as I passed (not to mention many more that I saw along the way).

Monday, October 24, 2016

Did a section of this trail and combined it with a longer route. Gorgeous views, but it does get cold and windy in late October. We brought our dog and she loved it.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Monday, October 10, 2016

Great hike to get out doors and see nature. I did this hike in early April and was able to see and talk to Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers as they came thru.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

One of the better experiences I've ever had in the backcountry. Our group got to get up pretty close to the ponies and it was just an excellent adventure. We can't wait to go back and climb mt. rogers!

Friday, November 13, 2015

Saturday, August 15, 2015

gbgantvrumubbncbx.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

thdtkhdyo wgvokkczorcna u flut gal

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

crest was a big let down , but getting there was a nice hike , not very well marked . but still enjoyable hiked in from Grayson state park

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Awesome trail with great views. I actually did this loop starting and finishing from the Thomas Knob shelter at the tail end of a four day backpacking trip from Damascus. In August there were blackberries a plenty and I ended up not diving into my gorp sack the entire day. As always the free range ponies are fun to watch in this area. Highly recommend this area for hiking. I've included a link to my full write-up on this hike.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Great hike and beautiful area, highly recommend doing in snow if you get the chance. Did the loop from Grayson highlands backpacker lot to scales on the AT then from scales to mount Rogers. Camped along pine mountain trail near water source on the way to Rogers. Luckily I got to get this hike in a couple days after hurricane sandy and there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground. Moderate hike with little map skills required, just make sure if you bring a dog they listen well while not on a leash, wild ponies are in abundance at times.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Great trail. Some very challenging terrain but good places to catch her breath in Flats as well. Amazing views of the Appalachian range. I will be back for the leaf change in fall. And a good loop in an area that's hard to map out a loop hike. I would park at Grayson Highlands backpacker overnight parking lot as opposed to scales. Hike this southbound on the AT.