Appalachian Trail to Raven Rocks

Appalachian Trail to Raven Rocks is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 4-View trail with the final view point being the most magnificent. This out-and-back hike, which some locals call "the roller-coaster" winds up and down several ridges, some of which are fairly steep.

This was a great hike. I am very new to hiking and this was definitely challenging for me and I had to take several breaks, but the overlook was great. The trail is very rocky so if you have hiking boots with ankle support I would definitely wear them.

Great hike! We did it with our 2 girls - 7 and 9 years old. Definitely a challenge for them but doable. It took us about 4.5 hours with a 30 min lunch and 30 min stop at the overlook (with brief breaks during the big climbs). Can't wait to do this again in the Fall!

Very good trail! It's not too challenging but a good workout. No Jonny Blues. There isn't much parking either but a good trail.

This is a staple for us. Wear hiking shoes and get there earlier in the day to beat the rush. Lots of breweries and wineries nearby for post hike libations. You'll have earned it!

Completed 6.25 miles from parking lot in 5hrs 27mins.
I did this hike with my wife and my 9 years old daughter. Few stops for pics, and 1hr rest at the top for snacks and pics.

A lot snow today so the trail was little bit difficult and in some parts technical.

For kids will be challenging.

Parking = limited at the start area; However, 800mts away is a big parking lot that I recommend use; but be careful if you have kids. You have to cross an avenue and the cars pass flying.

It's a up and down all the time because you will hike 3 mountains.

Enjoy the view!!!

you hike over two or three mountains and then to the top of the last, so it is an up-down hike, moderate intensity, rocky trail. i would approximate the time to get to raven rocks to be 3 hours (max) and maybe 2 hours (max) to get back. at the end you are rewarded with a great view from large rocks overlooking the valley between the mountain you will have just hiked from and the one you will be standing on.

in the event there is no parking, there is a parking lot across route 7 with just a small walk down the trail start.

this is my favorite hike in the area. it is short and simple. it makes a great sunset hike so long as you remember to bring a light source to get back to your vehicle in the dark.

Appropriately rated as moderate. One of the rockier trails I've been on lately--you have to focus on the terrain most of the time. Which is a shame because there are some nice views. Lots of people and dogs on the trail today. Some were off leash. The trail works well as an out and back because there are multiple ascents and descents. I don't care for out and backs that are all uphill on the way out and all downhill on the way back. Overall it was a nice hike and a great way to spend a rare, 60 degree February day. Had to park across rt. 7--the lot was full.