Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail

Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 4-View trail with the final view point being the most magnificent. This out-and-back hike, which some locals call "the roller-coaster" winds up and down several ridges, some of which are fairly steep.

Great hike and amazing views

Great workout a hike with the elevation changes. We did this family hike with our experienced little hikers at ages 5 and 7. If you go with the kids, take plenty of water and snacks. You can get a kid to do just about anything as long as they are well hydrated and fed.

Pretty great workout with climbing up and down three summits. Broke out my new hiking books with this trail, they were very necessary because a lot of the trail was extremely rocky. The views at the end were exquisite. My husband and I set up a hammock around one of the overlooks at the end and just took in the view for at least an hour. It was great, loved it.

For a quick hike a stones throw away from D.C., this hike does the trick. This hike has 1600 feet of vertical gain, and you feel it on the way back (the hike is rated as moderate, but I'd rate it more strenuous than that). The view at the top is very pretty, but not as sweeping as many of the other hikes I've done in the VA/WV area (just my taste personally). You do cross the state line from Virginia to West Virginia; we heard some thru hikers hiking the entire Appalachian Trail saying how relieved they were to be out of Virginia; kind of a nice treat to run into them on their journey. All in all, I recommend it, but be ready for some tough hills there and back!

Hiking

I really enjoyed the trail despite there being way too many people. Lots of ups and downs with a little bit of light rock climbing and crossing. The view was definitely worth it and there was plenty of space to enjoy it without being around others as well. Parking was very limited; I had to park on the shoulder of the highway that you turn off of to get to the road with the lot.