Appalachian Trail to Raven Rocks

Appalachian Trail to Raven Rocks is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 4-View trail with the final view point being the most magnificent. This out-and-back hike, which some locals call "the roller-coaster" winds up and down several ridges, some of which are fairly steep.

For a quick hike a stones throw away from D.C., this hike does the trick. This hike has 1600 feet of vertical gain, and you feel it on the way back (the hike is rated as moderate, but I'd rate it more strenuous than that). The view at the top is very pretty, but not as sweeping as many of the other hikes I've done in the VA/WV area (just my taste personally). You do cross the state line from Virginia to West Virginia; we heard some thru hikers hiking the entire Appalachian Trail saying how relieved they were to be out of Virginia; kind of a nice treat to run into them on their journey. All in all, I recommend it, but be ready for some tough hills there and back!

Hiking

I really enjoyed the trail despite there being way too many people. Lots of ups and downs with a little bit of light rock climbing and crossing. The view was definitely worth it and there was plenty of space to enjoy it without being around others as well. Parking was very limited; I had to park on the shoulder of the highway that you turn off of to get to the road with the lot.

A great workout like a roller-coaster all the way up and back.

Great hike...very rocky with lots of ups and downs, but worth it when you get to the end! Spectacular views.

Very up and down..we started at the lot and wnt from bears den to ravenrocks..It was very rocky..we seen a small spring..met alot of nice people..Met a women going 100 miles she did from harrisburg to bluefied..Stuck my head under the spring to cool down..Had a bodyarmor drink and some pics on ravenrocks..Found a nice large pit where they have fires at nite..It was hard but fun..We did 6.43 one day and then 5 miles a day after..cindy and beth and i..

Very fun trail, but we were NOT prepared for the difficulty.

The girlfriend and I have been using hiking as a way to get in shape, and we've done Moderate level trails before, but this is on the very high end of Moderate.

The trail degrades to uneven rock paths for long stretches, and combined with the three roller-coaster peaks, it's a lot more challenging than it appears.

Still an awesome trip, but now I'm in negotiations with my legs to keep them from quitting.