Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail

Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 4-View trail with the final view point being the most magnificent. This out-and-back hike, which some locals call "the roller-coaster" winds up and down several ridges, some of which are fairly steep.

1 hour ago

Great trail, the amount of rocks make it hard to see all the views but the one at the end is more than worth it.

As always this trail rocks , bring your poles and get some ! Lots of dry leaves to make the rocks that much more fun . Love the view it’s kind of my happy place . Appears to have expanded the parking area by 1-2 cars ha .

Absolutely magnificent view from the top. One if the best overlooks in the area.

This is a well maintained trail with rolling ridges and a beautiful reward at the overlook. It should be noted that we clocked this hike in as 6.9 mikes, not 5.

magnificent

The view was unbelievable! Simply breath taking, the hike however is very rocky, almost 90% of the trail was navigating rocks, and it was a 6 mike hike (3 there, 3 back), not five. My medium poodle had no trouble with the rocks or steep inclines. View made the trek worth it, not sure I would do again.

Totally agree with many of the recent reviews— the hike is moderate with a few steep areas that present a few challenges. It’s enjoyable and the view at the top is certainly worth it and the trail itself is just gorgeous. We saw lots of dogs on the hike and they seemed to do just fine even in the rock scramble areas. I love that it’s closer to DC than Shenandoah Nat’l Park or Harper’s Ferry. Fun hike, definitely recommended.

I actually do not hardcore agree with what a lot of people on here are saying regarding this being a "hard" hike. I would say it leans more toward moderate, but certainly a little more difficult given the elevation climb. It's significantly easier than Old Rag and not as rocky as White oak (both rated hard). The most difficult thing about the trail is the elevation climb 1.5 miles in. If you are not somewhat experienced, it will kick your butt. It's also only 2.5 miles in and then 2.5 back out. on the way back out, it is mostly a decline with a couple small hills. Again, I don't think this hike is hard, but it is a little more challenging than a moderate hike. I did this within 2 hours. The view is worth it, even on a rainy morning!

This should be rated hard given the elevation and steepness. Nonetheless, great views if you can take the challenge.

Loved the challenge. It was hard but rewarding. I recommend experienced hikers. It’ll be hard for those who are newbies. My small dogs have hiker harnesses on and had to be lifted on a few occasions. My friend, my Jack Russell terrier & Rat terrier and I had a blast but the ending was harder because your just so exhausted. I’m so glad I did this hike. I’m ready to do the other side. I also recommend high top hiking boots due to so many rocks and obstacles. If you go - good luck and have a blast. It’s worth going.

Should be rated as hard. The entire trail is incline/decline and 98% rocks. You cannot lose focus or you will trip. Especially hard on way back as very Long steep incline near the end when you are already somewhat beat. Bring more water than you think you need. The view is just fabulous but I don’t want to do the hike again. Very rough on the feet and ankles despite good boots and the need to keep looking at the ground all the time took away some of the enjoyment.

Challenging trail probably should be rated hard instead of moderate as the terrain is pretty rocky and steep in places. Pretty view at the top, well worth the hike. Trail was not too busy and parked at a commuter lot on other side of highway as it was a Sunday.

First off, this is not a moderate trail. This trail says moderate but is definitely in the hard range. Simply for the fact that you walk on large jagged boulders and rocks up steep elevations. I love to hike at crazy elevations but would probably not go back unless I was completing the Appalachian trail. For those that don't mind hiking up a rock bed or have feet of steel I would definitely recommend the breathtaking view at the top. Also, check out the West Virginia/ Virginia border sign just before you get to the top. Good luck!

Great trail. Rocks are rough on the feet and there are a few steep inclines. Nice walk for bringing a hiking dog along.

Nice short hike far enough out of the city to get away but so far to be prohibitive. A lot of elevation change and rocky terrain.

Plenty of rocks on the trail but nice views at the end!

Hard but worth it.