Appalachian Trail: Tar Jacket Ridge to Cole Mountain

Appalachian Trail: Tar Jacket Ridge to Cole Mountain is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vesuvius, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

This was a great hike for my 4 yr. old grandson and I. Beautiful views and loved the saddle up on Cole Mountain. This was our first time here and we will definitely be back. It was an absolutely perfect day with gorgeous weather.

Good trail with nice elevation. View at the top is worth the hike. The forest burning had a portion of the trail closed so we will have to go back. Get hike for a day trip.

This is a pretty easy trail with beautiful scenery, I have heard of seeing wild life though I haven't seen anything other than birds and squirrels myself.

Cold Mountain is as pretty a vista as you'll find anywhere. Taking the Hotel trail to the AT makes a great circuit - and lunch on top can't be beat!

Sunday, June 05, 2011

This hike will make you a believer in the AT! Please click the link and check out my twisted tale of Cold Mountain