Appalachian Trail: Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center

Appalachian Trail: Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Super rocky in places but great on a dry sunny day! Difficulty level is moderate to high for seasoned trail hiker / runner.

Saturday was windy and low 20's, love running in the cold. It didn't take very long to heat up with all the elevation. Started off very rocky and hilly but after about 4 miles in, we could pick up the pace. Great views along the way, passed about 20 other people from hikers, dog walkers to runners. We turned around just before Blackburn and did 14 miles out and back with 3700ish' of elevation. Excellent trail, easy to follow, scenic and I'd rate it moderate/difficult IMO, we had an awesome time and would do again if I'm in the area.

They don't call this trail roller coaster (or portion of it) for nothing. We started at Blackburn Trail Center, finished at Route 7 commuter parking lot, total 7.5 miles (one way, not out and back). A good workout. We also reached Bears Den Rock Overlook to the south of the commuter parking lot by adding another mile (out and back) to the total distance. This is part of the Appalachian Trail Virginia section hike.

This is a pretty basic trail but it is has plenty of elevation changes.

I loved this rigorous hike. Good hiking shoes are a must, on this hilly rock laden part of the AT. I almost ran out of water today and it was a sunless breezy day (brought 36oz, should have doubled, as this would have not had enough on a hotter day). I look forward sharing this special hike with friends and can't wait to do it again.

Excellent trail. Very well marked. Some difficult, rocky terrain. A lot of up and down hills. Loved it.