Appalachian Trail: Reeds Gap to Tye River

Appalachian Trail: Reeds Gap to Tye River is a 9.8 mile point-to-point trail located near Roseland, Virginia that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,132 feet Route Type: Point to Point

We saved this hike for the last on our trip through VA. We set out early in the am with the trail beagle. The beginning four miles are a scenic and relaxing hike through the Three Ridges Wilderness. Looking out from the top I swear I could see for hundreds of miles. Spectacular view of the valley below and the terrain for the rest of the hike. The second five miles seem as though they just fly . Coming back up is another kind of hell altogether. I hated myself, the trail beagle hated me and my girl hated me. We left from Reeds gap at 0630, we arrived back there at 2045, headlamps blazing. I'm 58 years old, been hiking for years and this is the toughest thing I've ever done. Every bone was brutalized, every muscle cramped and knotted, and my mind was jello; but is was the best tired I have ever been!!!

Nice hike and overnight camping trail. Someone had just finished some weed eating on the trail, a BIG thank you to them. A few people on the trail this weekend but not crowded at all. Plenty of camp sites with only one other site being used. I was a little surprised by the water level in the stream that runs by the sites, but enough to supply our water needs. Look forward to doing it again in the fall.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Lots of rocks after flat top rock. Other than that it was a beautiful hike and pretty eazy. Did it with my Boy Scout Troop who had limited hicking experience and we were able to goto harpers creek shelter in 7 hours to camp.

Sat Feb 18 2017

Beautiful Trail!!!

Mon Jul 18 2016

This was my second trail while in VA. A pleasant heavily wooded trail with some challenging sections. Close to where I am staying, so I will do it again. JL

recorded 3 ridges