Thursday, August 20, 2015

I accessed Big Wilson Creek Trail # 4607 by driving up Briar Run Lane. I parked the car here and followed the trail on private property until it crossed Wilson Creek and went west into Grayson Highlands Park. Right before the creek crossing you can see the Wilderness boundary sign to the right where the trail head of Little Wilson Creek Trail # 4594 starts. I followed Wilson Creek upstream until I crossed ti again, 1.1 miles from where I parked my car at the end of Briar Run Lane. There was a very pretty 15 foot waterfall in this section of the hike. I crossed the creek and the trail started right at the wilderness boundary marker on a tree. This trail was not blazed but it was easy to follow all the horse tracks. within the wilderness boundary there were signs marking the beginning and ends of the trail as well as the intersection with Kabel trail # 4606. This was a muddy, rocky climb from Wilson Creek all the way up to Bearpen trail # 4525. I passed no other person on the way up or back down but it looked as if dozens of folks have taken this trail y horseback recently. This on isn't for rookies and had I known how muddy and rocky this uphill climb would be I might have chosen a different path for my 10 mile wilderness hike. Perhaps this is actually a horse trail and not a hiking trail. If you want to follow my track its called Little Wilson Creek Wilderness Up.