Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Angel's Rest via Appalachian Trail

Angel's Rest via Appalachian Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pearisburg, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

An amazing hike on a portion of the Appalachian trail. It gets pretty strenuous but is completely worth it for the two scenic overlooks. Makes sure you travel the extra 0.6 miles at the top to the second overlook.

Decent hike. The elevation gain is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but will burn the legs a little. Typical AT trail with a lot of switchbacks. It’s possible to cross connect them but the snow made it difficult to do so today. The tail head is marked by a small sign and easy to drive by. Parking is very limited. Go the extra .6 for the second lookout, especially for the sunrise.

Muddy and icy but wonderful!

Saturday January 25 was a perfect weather day for this hike. I got there with my most amazing trail dog at around 11:30 when it was just rising above 32 degrees. The trail was dry but a few icy patches up higher. It stayed cold enough to keep the ground frozen so there was virtually no mud which was nice. I let my dog off leash as he is always close enough to know where I am but far enough away to have fun! This was my first time up this trail and I loved it! I took my time and explored off trail a bit on the way up and at the top. The views from the two places up at the top are incredible and you really feel like you are on the edge of the precipice in both locations. There is a big beautiful rhododendron grove to walk through to get to the Angel’s Rest. About 3.5 hours for us two adventurers to go up, explore and come back down. Some pretty steep sections on the way up especially closer to the top but an excellent grind and although it’s rated “hard” it wasn’t outrageous. I’m 57 and my dog is 11 and we didn’t have any trouble but we are both tired, a little sore and a lot happy tonight for doing the trail!

Loved this trail! Definitely steep and strenuous but you can cut off some time by going straight up and crossing the switchback sections. Views at the top were amazing, and it whatever plants are at the top were pretty cool because they were leafy and green even in the beginning of January!

Love this hike. VERY challenging for me at a 2 hour round trip pace. Trail can get muddy if there is rain but nothing terrible, just watch your step so you don’t slip. Views at the top and par with the best in the area. Certainly worth the trip if you are up for the challenge.

I hiked this trail on New Years Day. It’s a nice hike with a good steady climb to the top. Since the leaves were off the trees you could really see nice views the entire way up. Angels Rest has a pretty view of the town and river, but like many others have said DEFINITELY continue 0.6 miles to Wilburn Valley View to see more farm land in the valley (it’s flat and you won’t regret it!). When you get to the top you will see two giant boulders you can walk through and you know you’ve made it to the top. If you go to the left of the boulders you will see the Angels Rest sign and directions on where to go to Wilburn Valley View. I did get off trail one time, make sure your following the white marks on the trees and your good to go! Took about 1.5 hrs to get to the top and 1 hour down. Little parking available at the trail head (maybe 3-4 spots on the side of the road). However I only passed one other person on the trail that day. Beautiful hike and plan on doing it again in the spring/summer!

Hiked on Sunday, Nov 25. Only passed 8 others (most on my way down). Thus, plenty of parking when I arrived at 7:15am. No parking lot, no outhouse. Lovely trail. Easy to follow, of course, thanks to the AT's white blazes. My GPS had me at 2.06 miles to the first overlook. The elevation change to the second overlook (Wilburn Valley View; 0.6 miles) is minimal; just do it! View is even better here on a clear day; no industrial plant as in the first view (still pretty!). There are portions that are more strenuous than other local trails, but this is well worth the effort. Highly recommended!

Stats:
5.3 miles (including both overlooks)
2:09 hours

Trail is narrow for a good portion of the climb and it’s a steep, steady, incline all the way up but the view is worth it! We hiked the extra 1-1.5 miles along the ridge to the other overlook and had even better views there.

It was the Devil’s Climb to Angel’s Rest, but the view was worth every bit of the 1,800 foot elevation. It was an intense cardio workout on the way up and tedious on the way down since it’s steep and rocky in some places. It is a beautiful trail with some witnesses wildlife. If you feel like you want to stop and turn around halfway to the top- don’t. Both views were great, so recommend going to both spots. My dad and I are Appalachian Trail rookies no longer!

The hike is really steep the closer to the top you get. The views are good but not the best. Once you’re at the top it’s better just walk the ridge about an extra mile to the Pearis Ledges were there are some amazing views. There are lots of deer around and I steeped on a black snake stretched across the trail. Coming is pretty difficult because it’s so steep and you practically have to run in some spots.

Coordinates this website gives you (Start/End) are not correct. Look for DQ in Pearisburg (as others mentioned), go behind it, on Jonston Rd, then Cross St. The road goes up for 3/4 of a mile, look for sign "Angel Rest" on the left, the trailhead also on the left. There is no parking lot, park on the side of the road.
Hike continues in pretty dense forest almost all the way up. You will see deer. Steep hike. Got soaking wet with sweat. View is better on 2nd overlook (Willows Valley, I think), 0.6 miles furher on AT.

This is a great hike for people who want to see wildlife. I started off early morning around 8 and saw 4 deer, a cat, and a black bear with a cub. Be sure to bring protection and know what to do in a bear encounter! I did neither and got pretty shaken up. Didn’t even notice how difficult it was after that.

The views were amazing and I think this hike is definitely worth the trip! Not only were the overlooks pretty but the hike itself was really pretty as well.

This is a pretty hard trike. Some points it feels like your going straight up. It has good views but I've seen better.

Great hike!! Good views!!

Monday, November 27, 2017

Hiked it solo the day after Thanksgiving. A nice climb to Angels Rest with some impressive rock formations and caves. The last part of the climb was pretty steep but only for a short distance. Another half mile to mile of relatively flat hiking and there are some really nice overlooks to the valley below. I started at 8:00 am and was back at the car by 1:30. According to my watch it was close to 7 miles roundtrip.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Great hike. The leaves were amazing. Wear something orange. We heard hunters early on Saturday. Definitely do it again.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wish I would have waited until more of the leaves had fell but the trail is well kept and it was still worth the view. Gets a little steep when ya get close

Friday, September 01, 2017

I especially liked the view you get on the other rock, not the Angel's rest rock.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Great hike! Moderate steady uphill all the way up, wonderful places to overlook from the top and the "rest" itself is large enough for a few people to sit on.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

The climb was pretty significant, really. Angel's Rest is cool, but the 2nd overlook is amazing (And the extra 0.6 miles is all flat, so definitely do it).

Monday, July 03, 2017

Start on Cross street and not down near the Ford dealership. Steady hard climb up to the top. Extend .6 miles to another Southern overlook.

Monday, June 26, 2017

The top of the hike is pretty cool with lots of flowers and some huge boulders you can climb up to still under tree cover. The angels rest spot at the top is really pretty but most of the view has town and industrial stuff there too so it's not a completely natural view like some of the other similar hikes in the area.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

steep but worth it

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

The hike did get pretty steep at times but the beautiful scenery made it doable. It was also worth the effort once you get to the top too. Also I recommend going the extra .6miles to the Wilburn Valley View. It was gorgeous, probably one of my favorite views.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Great views from the Rest.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Loved this hike!!! Here's updated directions from Blacksburg (we wouldn't have been able to find it without a friend who had already been there).

From 460w. Turn left onto Thomas Dr. turn left onto main st. Continue on Main Street until you dead end at an intersection (a diary queen and clover dew market gas station will be on the right). Make a right at the dead end (n Main Street) and then an immediate right on Johnson Ave. Make another immediate right onto Morris avenue, this turns into Cross Ave. the trail head will be on the left. The pull off parking area will be on the left past the trail head.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Parking is very limited, if you park at the entrance behind DQ. I hike often, I run daily and this trail was one of the most difficult trails I have encountered. Very steep incline the entire way. According to my fitbit it was a little over 3 miles up. Views from the top were beautiful.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Beautiful view but has some steep incline

Friday, December 30, 2016

easily accessible trail, a few miles outside of Giles. The trail maintains a steady climb all the way to the ridge, seems to be some what of an unknown trail from talking to other hikers. Good one to explore.