Algonkian Park Loop

easy 25 reviews

Algonkian Park Loop is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sterling, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 88 feet Route Type: Loop

Short hike with kids. Very flat, but had a few downed trees to work across. Creek crossing was “high” water, so the feet got a little wet. Could have gone a different route, but wanted to stay on that specific trail.

Calling this loop a “trail” is a stretch, as it’s really a route cobbled together from different trails in and around Algonkian Park. I would have lost my way where the route goes around a middle school athletic field without help of the app. I recommend weaving through the network of trails south of Pasture Run instead; they are well marked and offer every bit as much variety of landscape that the bigger loop does.

Maybe I’m use to Natural Forest Trails? This is single person wide; about a women’s shoe, size 8. It’s almost impossible to have a dog on a leash if anyone else is on the trail. It’s not wide enough for 2 ppl to pass each other w/o someone going in the bushes. We did see deer; maybe 10+

We did the actual loop on the app that says 4.1 miles. It ends up being about 5 and it’s more moderate terrain, the full loop is not “easy” and is not well marked. If I was in the mood for a moderate hike I’d have given this 4 or 5 stars. But it’s marked easy, and I wanted easy today.

It is as advertised, a easy walk in the woods for the most part... a bit muddy, a bit buggy, but perfectly fine otherwise! Saw a deer, so that was nice too.

bridge out

If you’re looking for a swamp, look no further. 3/4 of the trail was washed out and we spent most of our time tacking our way through the brush. Also, you cross 2 different creeks (one of them twice), and most of the time no way to cross. There’s only one bridge which is further down and way out of the way. I would recommend this trail only when there hasn’t been much rainfall to wash away everything out.... also make sure to wear your bug spray

Very nice. Took a nice stroll with my 18 month old, so it was very very slow going. But otherwise, the trail was in good condition. A few downed trees on the trail left over from the winter.

Sun Nov 18 2018

Liked the trail but everyone had their dogs off leash. I had to stop and wait for them to gather their dogs so I could pass with mine on leash.

recorded Algonkian Park Loop