Windsor Trail

Windsor Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Windsor, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

First of all, it should be said that it rained much of our hike, which we knew was going to happen going into it. It may have been a five star hike otherwise... It’s a beautiful trail with lots of relaxing waterfalls and streams and it smelled like Christmas trees, which was great even in the rain. And, yes, it was a butt-kicker. The other reviewers got that right. But it’s not scary rock face, scrambling kind of hard (which is always what I envision when I see a trail rated as “hard”). It’s just the huffing, puffing kind of hard on the way up and sore knees kind of hard on the way down. I definitely will try it again when it’s nicer out and I can actually see something from the summit.

Amazing 360 view from the top. Could see many mountains we have hiked in New Hampshire and Vermont. There was a picture that listed the mountains on the observation tower. Hike was very doable for a couple experienced hikers. The only challenge is the continued steepness. There were some slippery rocks but nothing that couldn’t be handled. I’d say most people other than beginner hikers could complete the hike. Can’t speak for the other trails that take you up to the top but will definitely be visiting again.

Hike is moderate to difficult. Plan for the day. Trail does not offer any views but panorama at the Summit makes it worth it! Lots of friendly dogs.

It was a pretty good well managed trail but still very challenging. Not only was it very steep but the rocks were slippery. Still a fun trail with great views and things to see on the way.

Just got back from this hike - this is sort of an updated post to my previous post. I finally completed the entire trail this time! This is still one heck of a but kicker of a trail! If your like me, You will be questioning your life choices. Mostly you will question the choice to hike this trail instead of any of the easier trails on the mountain. My dog and I started at 5:45 and we got back just before 8:30 - we ran some of the way down the mountain. Amazing views at the top though - especially at Brownsville rock - which in all my times hiking this mountain had never been to for some reason. We were there just about sunset - it was amazing!

Fun hike, started raining halfway through so can't say too much about the summit view but it was a great distance and elevation for a day hike challenge. There's a great spot a few miles from the base called the Path of Life Garden which is really breathtaking and I highly recommend taking time to see.

I can only speak for the first three quarters of the hike as I didn't make it all the way (just simply ran out of time). I found myself very much unprepared for how steep this is even after hiking the weathersfield trail, bromley, stratton and killington over the past few months. Drink plenty of water before during and after as this is a good workout. And don't wear cotton (especially in winter)

Beautiful water throughout and a nice variety of terrain. If you have any knee problems, this hike will be challenging. There is not much of a view at the summit but there is an observation deck. Beautiful view from there but it can get very crowded.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy God is really all I can say ------ a real butt kicker....I made it to the Summit simply because I was stubborn enough to keep going. I definitely feel my age on this one.....worth it when you climb the scenic tower yet I WILL NEVER WANT TO DO IT AGAIN>>>>>

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Tough but enjoyable. Not a lot of sight seeing on the way up, but an excellent workout.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Challenging but worth it!

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Quiet, challenging hike up Mt. Ascutney. Good resting points (Gerry Falls, Log Shelter) along the way. Relatively short trail to the top, but the trade-off is a steep climb. Make sure to stop at Castle Rock for great views before heading to the summit.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Good trail. Well marked. A butt kicker for the over 50 crowd.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

This is my favorite trail up Ascutney Mt, primarily because it has water for my dogs most of the way, offers some nice lookouts and wildflower patches. It's also probably the steepest trail, hence the "Difficult" rating. But it's a quick hike for those in shape. This is the trail to see the old Stone Lean-to, which I hope to sleep in some night.
Lookouts from Brownsville Rock and the fire tower are spectacular unless it's cloudy.
Dogs under voice control or on-leash are fine.
Bring water and be prepared for it being a lot cooler at the top than the bottom. Bring little kids only unless you're prepared to carry them much of the way.

Monday, September 01, 2014

This is my favorite trail on Ascutney. The weekend traffic is far less than on the other trails, the trail itself is more enjoyable than the others, just seems to be a quicker route to the summit.

surfing