Wheeler Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(79)
Willoughby State Forest

Wheeler Mountain Trail is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Sutton, Vermont that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,233 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I live nearby and this is always a good choice. No issues, clear skies, good trail, circling vultures, great visibility.

The hike itself was really awesome. Finding the trailhead was really hard based on the locations I used off from google. Had to walk 1.5 miles to trail the do the actual hike. Best to come from route 5 to get to wheeler mnt rd.

We tried to do Gnome Stairs today but tried unsuccessfully to cross river to the rest of the trail. Super cool spot but got stuck due to spring flowing!

icy

icy

Super fun trail! Really easy for all ages, fantastic view looking to the southwest. Great little vistas on the side of the trails. Most definitely not the last time I’ll be climbing this hill. Highly recommend

Nice Day. Great trail. Think it’s time to put the snowshoes in mothballs for 19-20 winter. Snow going away while bare ground & ice are taking over. Been a fun winter on the “shoes!” Thanks to AllTrails Pro for SS trail ideas. Really helpful for marginally identified trails, esp. when used in winter. Back to ticks, bugs & heat of summer hiking.

When accessing it in the winter, you can’t go through Westmore because Wheeler road isn’t shoveled. You must go through Barton. There is a trailhead parking and sign with the map. Once you start the trail you will have to cross the road 1 minute in. The trail is very well marked and there are a few view points along the way. Make sure you take the extra time to go to eagle rock, it’s more strenuous to get there but SO worth it, the best view of the hike! A little scary for those with a fear of heights but very rewarding. Otherwise the hike is fairly easy with a gentle elevation. My dog loved the hike.

Spectacular views. Hike is relatively easy. Parts of the trail are up hill both ways.

Honestly one of my favorite hikes now. There are so many wonderful lookouts that are large as well. Even if there is heavy traffic you would certainly have your own space at one of the lookouts. It is fairly easy terrain with wonderful views! Due to the open rock areas I would not recommend if raining though.

Wheeler Mountain

hiking mt hor near east lookout and came across 2 beagle puppies. many other hiking groups said they had been following them back and forth on the trail. the pups followed us, separated from us and kept coming back following us to the trailhead parking lot on ccc road. we are not local but a local family said they could take them to the Orleans county humane society. they were going to check the campground and wheeler mt trailhead first to try to find owners. I hope they can find the owners. sweet pups.

Great day with the girls!

I loved this hike! The top part with the rock scramble was fun - only scary for a moment. Make sure your sneakers have very good tread! There were a couple of spots where a rock step would have been helpful. Beautiful trail. Great overlooks. And the Top! oh my! Buzzy bugs - but we sprayed and didn't get bit.

HOT. BUGS.

Wheeler is one of my favorites. I try and do it at least once a year. I can’t quite get myself to do that last push up to the top of Eagle, it is just a little too steep for me. But I love to get up to the other open rock faces, even if you don’t want to go all the way up Eagle, keep going after you enjoy the first open face. Go past the closed (blocked view) face and you will find another open face worth checking out! And if you have time , stop down the road and do the Gnome Stairs!

Sun Oct 07 2018

Very nice trail! The end of the trail is much longer than you would expect. You keep getting the sense that you are almost done, but then it just keeps going on. It connects with the old trail near the end. The end of the trail is not difficult, but it is a bit risky with steep rocks to maneuver over, so people who are afraid of heights or ledges won't make it all the way. There are still views they can enjoy without going all the way to Eagle Rock. Gorgeous views all around! One more piece of advice - when traveling there, be sure to go through Barton, not Westmore, as that side of Wheeler Mountain Road is not well kept.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Great hike in an amazing forest. The last 30 minutes to Eagle Rock is quite technical. The views are phenomenal!!

Mon Sep 17 2018

The rock face at the top is breathtaking, photos will never fully capture the majestic feel. The views are spectacular.

Tue Dec 26 2017

I've done this hike tons of times within the past 5 years. They've recently redone the trail and now have a different route, which has thrown me off a little bit due to my familiarity with the old trail but if you figure out the new trail it's fairly easy to follow.