Learn more

The Long Trail / Monroe Skyline (Gap to Gap)

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(33)
Green Mountain National Forest

The Long Trail / Monroe Skyline (Gap to Gap) is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Waitsfield, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,893 feet Route Type: Point to Point

As of May 2020, users have reported that the Lincoln gap road is still closed for winter, however, it is not a super long walk down to the barricade. Note: This trail can also be done starting from State Route 17. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/vermont/long-trail-state-route-17-to-lincoln-gap-road

We joined at Lincoln Gap with two old mountain dogs and enjoyed the ascent to Battel Lodge where we stopped for lunch and filtered some water. We moved on up to the summit of Abe and thru the rocky scramble we were told about. No way will I ever take a big dog up here again. The scramble is fine for people, mountain goats, and little bouncy dogs, but this was really hard going for our two. Aside from the stress of the scramble, this was blissful. We started late, didn't make it as far as we had hoped so hung hammocks under the platform at the top of Pinnacle Peak. Beautiful sunrise and a hike out down the trails. Hell on your quads :) All in all, loved this and will try the Gap to Gap without the dogs next time.

great!

Did the hike from Lincoln Gap to App gap. I am not sure how AllTrails has this hike at 10.5 miles. It is just over 12. Fantastic hike that once on top of Mount Abe, you are hiking above 3800 feet almost all day until you pass the double chair at Mad River Glen and start the decent to App Gap. Mount Abe was busy then only passed an occasional hiker the rest of the way. Left a car at App Gap then drove to Lincoln Gap. That is a great option if you can.

So insanely beautiful! Started at App gap around 4:45 - saw the sunrise from the top of mad river and had a wonderful day of hiking through the snoW. Still super snowy pretty much the entire way, some parts might want spikes but don’t need them generally. Loved this walk! (The Lincoln gap road was closed for winter still - not a super long walk down to the barricade)

from Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap parking areas, this came out to be more like 12 miles. we did this on a Monday, so not much traffic on the trail after Mt. Abraham. somewhat challenging ascent and descent to/from a ridgeline hike with varied terrain and beautiful views.

Mon Jul 09 2018

Did this yesterday and it was great. 6 ladies 55-72 and it took just over 7 hours. Beautiful views along the way. Left cars at app gap and got a ride to Lincoln. Perfect weather and no bugs!

Sun Jul 08 2018

This was a nice out and back hike for (2) 4K footers and 4 other peaks on the ridge. The views were nice on Mount Abraham and on Mount Ellen you have to past the summit for any views. Overall next time I’ll definitely do 2 cars to make it a nice traverse. We even visited the plane wreckage.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Amazing!

Sun Nov 19 2017

I did this yesterday 11/18. Soft light snow covered the trail. Very little ice. Lots of fallen trees and detours that can be hard to see in the snow. Overall an amazing run.

Sun Sep 11 2016

Hey hikers, Just did this section of the long trail as an out and back over this weekend (9/10, 9/11). Was great, and I think it was marked fairly well, although upon some clearings it is hard to see the blazes so I suggest looking for rocks on the ground with the white long trail blaze because that it where they seemed to be. MT. Abe was a fantastic view, and probably the best of the peaks (it was the only bald peak and had a caretaker upon it the first time I did it.). MT Ellen and Little Abe and Nancy were all subsequent to MT Abe in my mind. Also those other peaks barley felt like it because of how grassy and industrialized (they had ski lifts on them) they were. We passed a warming station at the top of a single chair lift and that would have been the "nice" place to stay, but we opted to get closer to the Ap Gap and we stayed in the Theron Dean shelter- strung our hammocks from the rafters and endured an extremely cold rainy and loud night! Woke around sunrise and went back to my Truck parked at the Lincoln gap. The way back was a cake walk! Loved it and the long trail showed love right back to me. Hope that this post entices you to do it (or at least MT Abe as a day hike). Was definitely worth it, but gosh can I use a nap! -Mike

Thu Sep 01 2016

Awesome trail however I did the RT from lincoln gap to Ellen because I was alone. Moderatly difficult from the gap till AB then smooth sailing all the way to Ellen. Unfortunatly alot of the views involve chair lifts and ski runs but from the 3 peaks youll get a 360 view. Ab has the best view but your missing the North

Thu Aug 18 2016

Beautiful Views as you walk the skyline!! The Long trail is not marked very well at Sugarbush North area bring GPS!

Mon May 27 2019