The Long Trail from The Nose to The Chin

The Long Trail from The Nose to The Chin is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Underhill, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

This was a fun little hike with some scrambles, some climbing up and down, and some slippery areas.
Parts of the ridge were quite windy.
We hiked with our 12pound pup whose 10. She was a champ, but I did pick her up a few times because of the wind or jagged climbing areas.
Driving up the toll road was pretty fun, too!

This is probably the most beautiful trail in Vermont. There are views in all directions from the rocky ridge above tree line. The whole trail takes about an 2 hours round trip and the pitch is pretty mellow. If you are looking for an easy hike, avoid the more difficult trails that branch from the Long Trail such as cliff trail. These are very steep and technical. This is also a great trail in winter and it provides access to Stowe's backcountry terrain such as Rock Garden, Profanity Chute and Hourglass (not that these are very gnarly and should only be skied by experts)

The view on this trail was AMAZING! My son and I did this trail in about two hours. My son is a wrestler and in very good shape, me? Well let's just say I could lose 100 lbs, but love hiking. He had to wait on me a few times to catch my breath.

The trail was mostly rocks and well marked. The wild flowers and pine smells were nice. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone (not afraid of heights)

There's no better view in VT

This short hike was certainly a nice follow up to our disastrous attempt to hike Mt. Madison the day before. A short drive up the road to the Nose and then you take the trail that follows the spine of Mt. Mansfield all the way to the Chin. Great views all the way around. You get a great view of Lake Champlain to the west, and can see all the way back the Presidential Range to the east. This is kid friendly also, an easy hike that follows a bedrock trail for the most part. Got to see some fall color which was nice too.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015