The Long Trail from The Nose to The Chin

The Long Trail from The Nose to The Chin is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Underhill, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great, easy hike. It costs $23 per vehicle with one adult and $8 more per adult to go up the road, and the gates at the bottom close at 5PM. Beautiful views, almost all over rocks. If you're afraid of heights the drive may be hard for you as you get closer to the visitors center, and there are parts of the path that may be hard too.

Pretty easy hike. Take the toll road up to the summit and then hike to the chin.
The hike itself was very pretty where you can see the lake Champlain on side and the presidential range on the other side. You are hiking on rocks all the way through, which could get difficult if the rocks are slippery. Overall a great experience. Must do if you are in Stowe. keep in mind that you will need to pay a pretty handsome amount to get on the toll road. Also make sure to get there early since they get full pretty quickly.

Hiked this on 9/2/17 - Saturday. Normally, we don't hike on weekends due to the number of people, but it was a gorgeous day so we took a chance. This is a good, but hard hike. It definitely got the heart pumping. Not a particularly kind trail underfoot, as you have to consistently watch your step. Toward the top, there is some hand over hand, narrow rock scrambling that has to be done about the last 1/3 mile. For those afraid of heights this could be an issue. I can't say it's the worst I've ever been on and I have been known to freeze-up on a high, narrow precipice. Made it to the top and it was well worth the effort! My muscles definitely knew they had been worked the next day. NOW, my complaint. PEOPLE LEASH YOUR DOGS. #1, it is dangerous to others and your dog to have an unleashed animal...i DON'T CARE HOW WELL BEHAVED YOU THINK THEY ARE! #2, IT IS RUDE! NOT EVERYONE IS A DOG FAN having your furry friend who just played in a mud puddle suddenly think I'm their best friend. This does not endear me to you! #3, take water for your pet. Backpackers, rely on that creek water for drinking. Keep your dog out of it. #4, If your dog isn't a "hiker", this is not a trail to start them on. There are some very steep places and some your dog may be afraid to go up or down. Please don't take 15 minutes trying to coax your dog up or down when people are lining up waiting on narrow parts to get by then expect everyone to clap because your dog did a good job! There is a leash rule on this hike. It is for everyone's safety. Please be considerate and obey it. Out of the 10 or so dogs on the trail on this day that we saw only 1 was on leash.

This was a great hike. Relatively easy if you take the toll road up and go from there to the summit. There are lots of offshoot trails that take you to different places or that you can go out and back on. They can quickly get more difficult if thats what you're looking for. Great views, crowded but not crazy. We would gladly do this one again. Definitely recommend.

This was a fun little hike with some scrambles, some climbing up and down, and some slippery areas.
Parts of the ridge were quite windy.
We hiked with our 12pound pup whose 10. She was a champ, but I did pick her up a few times because of the wind or jagged climbing areas.
Driving up the toll road was pretty fun, too!

This is probably the most beautiful trail in Vermont. There are views in all directions from the rocky ridge above tree line. The whole trail takes about an 2 hours round trip and the pitch is pretty mellow. If you are looking for an easy hike, avoid the more difficult trails that branch from the Long Trail such as cliff trail. These are very steep and technical. This is also a great trail in winter and it provides access to Stowe's backcountry terrain such as Rock Garden, Profanity Chute and Hourglass (not that these are very gnarly and should only be skied by experts)

The view on this trail was AMAZING! My son and I did this trail in about two hours. My son is a wrestler and in very good shape, me? Well let's just say I could lose 100 lbs, but love hiking. He had to wait on me a few times to catch my breath.

The trail was mostly rocks and well marked. The wild flowers and pine smells were nice. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone (not afraid of heights)

There's no better view in VT

This short hike was certainly a nice follow up to our disastrous attempt to hike Mt. Madison the day before. A short drive up the road to the Nose and then you take the trail that follows the spine of Mt. Mansfield all the way to the Chin. Great views all the way around. You get a great view of Lake Champlain to the west, and can see all the way back the Presidential Range to the east. This is kid friendly also, an easy hike that follows a bedrock trail for the most part. Got to see some fall color which was nice too.