The Long Trail

The Long Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stowe, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is recommend only for experienced hikers. It's best if it hasn't rained for a week, and to hike on a sunny day. Get started early in the morning. Wear a pair of hiking boots with great traction. Bring three bottles of water, dress in layers, bring a jacket, a mylar blanket, band-aids, and have a strong LED flashlight.

Superb trail from Lincoln Gap to Mt. Abraham. Long stretch of near alpine coniferous woods ground covered completely by mosses. 360° views from the top are stunning and varied (undeveloped land/forests to the south with beautiful mountain ridges; Lake Champlain in the distance to the west with the Adirondacks beyond; scattered farms to east and west with mire wood and mountains extending north). Best hike EVER in the East with good general trail condition with enough elevation gain and climbing across rock slabs to provide an excellent degree of exercise. HARD TO BEAT THIS ONE.!

I absolutely loved to hike this mountain, there s beautiful view spots all the way up, it's not an easy hike, at the end it's basicly climbing. We went my girlfriend and I, took 4 hours. We had an amazing time!

Rained a few days before and snow was still melting at the end of May. Ground was very slippery while hiking against a small stream on a sunny day. Because the snow started to melt, in the evening, it got worse. The trail is very steep and it can be dangerous. I estimated somewhere from 40 to 60 degree angles most of the time. Near the summit, one would need to do some serious rock climbing, and if you are afraid of heights, definitely don't do this portion of the hike. I used to work at the level of 20 feet from the ground, and I was not afraid of heights, but I was shaky near the summit because there was nothing behind me and there wasn't much to hold on to. This hike is more difficult than Old Rag, VA. Be prepared to do strenuous hiking for 7 hours. Coming down is even worse.

I would recommend only for experienced hikers. It's best if it hasn't rained for a week, and hike on a sunny day. Get started early in the morning. Wear a pair of hiking boots with great traction. Bring three bottles of water, dress in layers, bring a jacket, a mylar blanket, band-aids, and have a strong LED flashlight. I found an apple was better than trail mixes because of thirst. I have hiked a few difficult trails, and I would rate this portion of the Long Trail more than difficult. I watched other people slipping and sliding, and it won't take much to get hurt on this trial. One gentleman and his son were wise to turn around near Taft Lodge. People want to be encouraging and they would urge you on because you are close to the top. But near the top is the most difficult part because you are already fatigued. I learned I need to listen to my inner voice and know the limit. It is ok to turn around because as they say, the mountains will be there another day.