The Long Trail

The Long Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stowe, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Rained a few days before and snow was still melting at the end of May. Ground was very slippery while hiking against a small stream on a sunny day. Because the snow started to melt, in the evening, it got worse. The trail is very steep and it can be dangerous. I estimated somewhere from 40 to 60 degree angles most of the time. Near the summit, one would need to do some serious rock climbing, and if you are afraid of heights, definitely don't do this portion of the hike. I used to work at the level of 20 feet from the ground, and I was not afraid of heights, but I was shaky near the summit because there was nothing behind me and there wasn't much to hold on to. This hike is more difficult than Old Rag, VA. Be prepared to do strenuous hiking for 7 hours. Coming down is even worse.

I would recommend only for experienced hikers. It's best if it hasn't rained for a week, and hike on a sunny day. Get started early in the morning. Wear a pair of hiking boots with great traction. Bring three bottles of water, dress in layers, bring a jacket, a mylar blanket, band-aids, and have a strong LED flashlight. I found an apple was better than trail mixes because of thirst. I have hiked a few difficult trails, and I would rate this portion of the Long Trail more than difficult. I watched other people slipping and sliding, and it won't take much to get hurt on this trial. One gentleman and his son were wise to turn around near Taft Lodge. People want to be encouraging and they would urge you on because you are close to the top. But near the top is the most difficult part because you are already fatigued. I learned I need to listen to my inner voice and know the limit. It is ok to turn around because as they say, the mountains will be there another day.

Attempted summit in February of 2017. Trail markers difficult to see at beginning and completely lost half way up

Great hike. I'd definitely do it again!

I love how a 282 Mile long hike gets condensed into 3.9 Mile loop that includes the Profanity trail poor weather bypass. Regardless this is a great hike if you like constant elevation change. There may be 300feet of flat section throughout the whole trail. The last 0.3 miles is consistently a class 1 or 2 scramble. I would only bring one water bottle as taft lodge is only 0.6 miles from the top and theres a stream along the vast majority of the rest of the trail. Even at the top theres bound to be a few puddle from cloud moisture or rain. The views are amazing if you grt lucky with little clouds. Dont be fooled if at the base its clear doesnt mean the peaks going to be just as nice.

Amazing views the entire time; not good if you don't like heights!

Very scenic!