Learn more

The Chin (Mount Mansfield) via Sunset Ridge Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(113)
Underhill State Park

The Chin (Mount Mansfield) via Sunset Ridge Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Underhill, Vermont that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,536 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Both my fitbit and the trail signs have this clocked as a 7 mile hike from the parking lot to the Chin and back. Took me 2 hours to get up with multiple short breaks.

Beautiful 360 views from the top! It does have some steep sections and lots of rocks, as well as long stretches with no shade. It took us about 2 hours to reach the summit, on a 90 degree day. I would highly recommend bringing a bug net, bug spray, and sunscreen, as well as lots of water (I was shocked at how many people only had one small bottle) Overall, a very rewarding hike, and a perfect trail to prepare my boyfriend for the ADK high peaks :)

Excellent trail. Views up top are worth every step.

This is one of my favorite hikes. It’s a steep hike with some technical terrain, but it’s actually a quicker hike than one would expect and the rewarding view at the top is indisputable. Make sure to bring layers, the wind at the top of the chin can be crisp. Also hiking boots are highly recommended, due to some mud and slippery rock faces.

Great view! The trail up was beautiful with flowers and a brook running through part of the way. We actually started heading to a different peak but when we weren’t satisfied with the view we kept going, and were glad we did. It does get a bit slippery though when the rocks get wet. So be careful!

icy

Stunning. In both directions. Recommend taking the spur to see Cantilever on your way up. Guessing 2.5 hours up, 1 hour 45 down. If it’s a windy day the wind at the top can knock you over - but when it’s sunny, it’s divine. Still needed spikes and a pole, even in May.

Amazing trail! The views from the summit are incredible. Trail was well traveled till the end of the trees. I had to attempt and stay on the rocks to avoid the waist high snow. Surprisingly no ice was on the trail. Even at the last scramble to the summit , just multiple feet of powder. Would recommend poles however.

This is a great trail. I Imagine there are great views on a clear day. I’ll have to back to find out. Above tree line is extremely icy very good traction is a must

icy

Really great hike, started out cloudy but started to lift off around noon. Trail is moderately packed down. Very icy once you get up on the rocks, some sort of micro spikes or crampons are necessary. The peak is, as expected, very snowy. If you stay on the pack no need for snowshoes really, although they would be nice. Come prepared and stay safe! Easily one of my favorite winter hikes.

Went up Sunset Ridge Trail (1.5h) and down Laura Coles trail (2 hours)

Best hike I've ever done! breathtaking views all above the treeline. Definitely a good work out, but so long as you're healthy, it's possible! I saw many 'elderly' doing this, though they were very obviously in shape. Bring warmer clothes for the summit because it is way chillier up there and you're going to want yo take a break up there to enjoy the view. We went up the Sunset ridge trail no problem. Had our dog with us (a 55+lb athletic dog) and she practically pulled us up! Very helpful. We meant to take the Canyon/Halfway House trail down.. and accidently took the Laura Cowles Trail. I do not recommend the Laura Cowles trail. Not just because it is VERY steep and all jagged rocks hopping down from slippery rock to steep slippery rock, but also most of it is below the trail line and so there's no view. Absolutely don't take that trail when wet. It was especially difficult with our dog because we had to keep her on leash and of course she hops down like it's nothing but then we have to scramble down at a slower pace and try not to fall and twist our ankle and if the dog doesn't IMMEDIATELY wait for you when it hops down, then you risk being pulled down face first into jagged rocks. Fortunately we have a good girl. Overall, I absolutely recommend Mount Mansfield. It was an incredible experience! Stunning views where you see several States and Canada from the peak. Best hike I've done. Just avoid the Laura Cowles trail.

My first ever NE115 mountain and the most beautiful experience of my life, especially when you pass the tree line and you look up seeing all these hikers climbing like in a pilgrimage. This combined with the automn colors and a warm Sun makes the trail a "I will go back there someday" contender...

Hiked up for the sunset. Absolutely amazing view of the sun setting behind the Adirondacks!