Learn more

The Chin via Long and Profanity Trail

hard(188)
Smugglers' Notch State Park

The Chin via Long and Profanity Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Underhill Center, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,769 feet Route Type: Loop

Tough hike but gorgeous! This was the sketchiest hike I have ever done with my dog! Thought it was cool that I met people that lived 15/20 minutes from me! cannot wait to go back, but without my dog!

Long trail south from Barnes camp to Taft lodge to chin by way of the Adam’s apple. Snow is much deeper up top. Visibility today at summit was about 20ft. Very strong wind. Cut my own line for the final .3 ascent because the trail was hard to follow in the snow. Lots of fun though. Tons of powder.

Not as bad as I thought. You definitely need hiking boots, sneakers will get wet in the first 10min and not as good grip. Also recommend hiking poles, but was able to do it without then and with my dog. The view is definitely worth it.

Jo, my wife and I had been hiking that trail twice. We love that challenges to hard hiking and climbing too. Our golden retriever, Dusty enjoyed to hike with us. That Mount Mansfield is the highest mountain in Vermont with a summit that peaks at 4,395 feet (1,340 m) above sea level. This trips were our best memories.

Parked in lot D2 at Stowe - it’s a big dirt lot with plenty of spaces. To get to the Long Trail South, you need to cross the street (Rt 108) and there is a set of wooden dam/bog bridges to walk over. A sign indicates that you are on the Long Trail South. Trail to Taft Lodge was generally good footing. Some mud and light running water in spots. Some rock surfaces were fairly smooth, so good hiking boots help keep you from slipping. We took the Long Trail up to the summit (the Chin). After the lodge, the footing is more rocky and the last 0.3 miles to the Chin is a number of rock scrambles. Tons of people on the trail made for slow going in spots. Very busy summit. There are ropes at the summit and leading up to it that you need to stay between to help protect fragile vegetation. We opted to take the Profanity Trail down to avoid the crowds and it was great - not one other person on the trail. Took us 5 hrs round trip.

This was a very challenging trail! We took Long Trail South up and had plans to take the gondola down but we didn’t see it moving when we made it to the Chin and we heard stories about Profanity that made me frightened. I’m an average hiker, but my husband is a 14’er-aholic, so he left it for me to decide. We hiked to the visitor center of the toll road and the guy told us we could either walk down the toll road or we could take Haselton—so we started on Haselton which was very steep (ski run) during the first part until we got into the trees- then it was rocky, wet and lots of tree roots the whole way down. I hear you need very good and grippy shoes to hike Profanity,as it can be slick. I didn’t like Haselton and have no idea what I would recommend for the decent. *Fabulous views at the Chin, so, unless you are in great shape- take the toll road- park and hike to the Chin.

the climb up the chin was really challenging.

Insanely done!

Mount Mansfield aka The Chin and Adams Apple with Sadie

We found ourselves on this trail after having accidentally taken another trail from the gondola that led us to the Taft Lodge. We then realized we were in for a tougher route than planned and did not have proper footwear. Fortunately it was dry and warm. We survived the hand over hand climbing but we were definitely scared and physically challenged. The views from the summit were spectacular. We felt proud! Descended via the original gondola route which was also challenging but shorter and felt less precarious. Will not leave hiking boots at home again!

This is a challenging hike for sure. My wife and I just got into serious hiking and this one gave us a run for our money. The last 0.6 miles are really hard and the top is extremely hard! So worth it though. Definitely think that with experience, you'll be fine in this hike. Proper footwear is so important, even on a dry day, so much mud and slipper rocks. Beautiful forest and truly peaceful when walking through it.

Note: Parking is near the Stowe Mountain Resort Gondola Ride. Look for the Lower Barnes Lot on Google. When you head into the area, take the first Right. Trail head is across the street. This add some distance to the whole hike. Long Trail is a challenge. As you get close to the peak, expect some low level technical rock climbing. Profanity is steep itself, but definitely not as technical. Overall, we enjoyed the hike.

Well, we definitely got more of a challenge than we bargained for hiking this yesterday. Having done the Lara Cowles a couple of times, we figured this would be about the same difficulty. As other reviewers have remarked, it's very tricky / challenging at points, esp the last .6 to the summit where you are at times rock climbing near cliffs. As spooky as that was, the real danger is the return descent along rocks that are steep and slippery wet. We took 5.25 hours to do the hike, and very much regretted not having proper hiking boots esp for the descent. Watch said 2660 calories burnt so definitely bring at least a liter of water and a snack to refill the tank for the descent.

Great hike. Challenging but nothing crazy. Conditions were wettish and Profanity required focus and patience on the descent. (I brought poles and Kahtoola nano spikes—spikes were nice to have and I would NOT do Profanity without poles). Socked in, windy and coldish at top so I had to keep moving. 4 hours round trip. I'll do it again on a sunny day.

Very difficult hike- especially after rain. Did this hike this morning- watch said I burned over 3000 calories so snack and water are necessary. As you ascend after rain you will be hiking up a shallow stream of water for much of the way. Problem is getting down. Very slippery on the way down. Going to ortho tomorrow with a likely broken bone in my hand : (

Definitely a difficult hike but worth it for the view. We had researched the hike ahead of time including where to park, but that ended up getting us lost because the trailhead was recently rerouted and the parking areas we had read about online were blocked off (according to a local we spoke with afterwards). When coming from Stowe on 108, just past the Stowe Mountain Resort you will see the Hikers/Visitors Information Center (brown building on your right), and across the street a large parking lot that is at the bottom of the Stowe gondola ride. The parking lot has a sign that says ‘Long Trail Parking’ and across the street, in the parking lot of the Visitors Center, is a large sign marking the trailhead to the Long Trail. The trail starts out going over a marsh on a boardwalk but after a very short walk there is a trail marker pointing you off to the left, to cross over 108 where the trail used to begin. It was really that simple and we felt stupid for having driven around aimlessly listening to people online rather than looking at what was right in front of us! The trail was muddy and wet at times which made the rocky portions slippery. We were a little worried about the difficulty of the rock scrambles after the Taft Lodge based on information we had read online, so we chose to take the Long Trail to Profanity Trail to the Chin which we had heard was the easier route. It was certainly not an ‘easy’ route but as far as the rock scrambles went, it was doable and nothing too frightening. Also, as a side note, we heard from staff at the Visitors Center that if you make it up but can’t hike back down, you can hike the Long Trail along the ridge line to the Cliff Trail which will take you down the the gondolas to take you back down to the parking lot where you left your car. The gondola ride down is free. This was good to know because we were expecting bad weather to come in on the day of our hike and we weren’t sure what the second half of the day would hold for us.