The Chin via Cliff House

The Chin via Cliff House is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Underhill, Vermont that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 807 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: This trail can be slippery when wet! Use caution. There is a gondola on the mountain that will also bring you to the start point of this trail. The gondola costs $30.

Difficult but rewarding. Slippery at times.

This is one of my absolute favorite hikes. I love the scrambling in this trail. Going back down is a bit of a challenge, especially when it's wet - but it's one of those trails where the journey is fun and the destination is stunning.

The views from the Chin are spectacular, but the cliff trail is no joke! It was hard at best and in spots a very steep climb. It was rewarding to complete though and, again, the summit is beautiful!!

started this hike on 17th of June at 8:30am , there was only 1 car in the parking lot (free$), if you enjoy rock climbing this trail is your heaven , it was mostly dry with a few spots of mud , we went off trail a couple of times , following alltrails map we could make it back , I personally found it difficult but manageable, it took us 5h given my hiking mate not very skilled, it would take 3h for a person with good endurance , the view is amazing, there were no many bugs on that day , we took back cliff trail sadly the gondola was still off on that week, now it is functional, a 30 min walk from the gondola site to reach back to the parking of hell brook trail, I highly recommend this hike if you like a challenging adventure. my phone went dead on the summit so the hike back does not show on my recorded map.

Cliff Trail from to gondola up to the ridge line is no moderate trail. The Green Mountain Club rates it a yellow diamond which is more difficult than a double black. If there is any moisture on the rocks it can be quite sketchy. I would not recommend this trail for inexperienced hikers, much better to head up the Toll Road and hike across the ridge line to the Chin.

This was a fun one in the snow. Very short, but steep to the point of being more like climbing in some spots. The trail was icy and I couldn't have done it without my microspikes or something similar like snowshoes or crampons. We had snow falling while we hiked so I can't comment fully on the views but what we saw was beautiful. All that said, the only reason we did this trail over a different one is because we had to hustle up and down due to some impending nasty weather on the drive home. The gondola ride is $30 and I would've preferred to hike longer so factor that in when choosing a trail.

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Cliff trail is slippery when wet! Combo of steep sections and wet rocks were scary, and our 10-year-old daughter slid down one section, even though she was sitting down. If it is wet, give it plenty of time to go down slow! Can't speak to views, as it was very cloudy, but glad we made it to the gondola OK!

Friday, August 24, 2018

Great hike but be aware that it’s a scramble. The person in a group that started in front of us with sandals and a baby in a backpack turned back after five yards. What was she thinking? Much of this hike is a scramble and you don’t want to lose your footing. But it’s fun and rewarding if you are in shape.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Loved this hike. Had my 9 and 11 year old daughters with me. We had a blast. A few tough spots for the girls, but they made it through.

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Pretty classic New England hike, lots of rocks, 3-5 feet in spots with rungs, and one rock to climb under. Top has great views.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

I made the mistake of coming down this way with more snow/ice on the trail than I cared for. It was deep enough to cover the trail markings and mine were the only footprints in the snow. Save this for July-Sept in my opinion. Late May is too early for it. I didn’t feel safe. My rating is only for its safety at this time of year.