Sunset Ridge Trail and Long Trail Loop

Sunset Ridge Trail and Long Trail Loop is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Underhill, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

cave

This loop starts on one of the most popular trails, Sunset Ridge and is a 5.7 mile strenuous hiking trail near Underhill, Vermont. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing. Sunset Ridge Trail Long Trail CCC Road

Got to be in pretty good shape !!! Not a beginners trail!!! Great hike !!!

Beautiful views

What a beautiful hike

Loved this hike! Went up the Halfway House Trail to Long Trail then down Sunset Ridge. Long Trail was along the ridge so the views were incredible. The hike wasn't that hard. It was perfect fall hiking weather (~55 degrees) and it was pretty crowded at the top. The views from the top were incredible!!!

Incredibly dangerous with the wet boulders. I slipped ~10 times myself but didn't fall nor get hurt. Be cautious!

We did the sunset ridge trail out and back. Decided not to do the loop once we got to the top. It was a great hike! More challenging than we were anticipating.

Great views!!!!!!

Definitely my new favorite approach to Mansfield. We did Sunset Ridge as our approach to Mount Mansfield, which stayed in the alpine zone for more than half the way up. We were able to see wonderful views of the Green Mountains on the way up including Camels Hump in the distance. The summit of Mansfield had wonderful views into Smugglers Notch and the Northern Green Mountains. We decided to take Subway and Canyons Trail to Hallway House rather than Long Trail. This brought us through epic caves an glacial features. Half Way House was very steep, definitely not meant for downhill hiking. All in all great hike.

My favorite hike in Vermont! Similar to the West Loop Camel’s Hump hike, but with heartbreakingly beautiful views of the Champlain Valley throughout the top half of the hike, and gorgeous views of the White Mountains to the east once you attain the summit.

Excellent hike but it was really hard!

Great views throughout trail

This trail was definitely “hard” as there are a lot of rocks and often you’re climbing up with little to no places to grip. We went at the end of May and the weather was perfect, a little chilly at the top though so bring a light jacket. Great views the entire way up and well marked. I would suggest bringing bug spray if you’re going around this time because there were LOTS of bugs on the way but they were super heavy at the Mt Mansfield summit!

Excellent hike. Beautiful 360 vistas. I wouldn’t recommend it on a rainy day, as lots of the trail involves steep terrain on large boulders and smooth rock – I can imagine this would be dangerously slippery.

Great loop. Went up Halfway House Trail since the wind was blowing sooooo hard up top. Many folks turned around that went straight up Sunset Ridge since that option gets you exposed about half way up. Halfway House is in the woods pretty much right up to the Long Trail. Winds this day at the Chin were 30 MPH sustained and 50 MPH or so gusts. It was blowing! Had my shell on, wool stocking cap, and gloves. It was awesome though, just be prepared. A bit tricky coming down Sunset with the winds and some water on the well-worn rock. All good, we only slipped a few times. Enjoy!!!

Hiked Sunset Ridge Trail several times in the spring & fall. One will experience a gradual to moderate elevation gain throughout the hike. Weather and temps can vary once above treeline. Be sure to pick a clear day and take in the views!

Great trail with amazing views! Great camping!

Incredible views once you make it to the top! We hiked in the middle of December and would recommend crampons and/or walking poles. There was plenty of ice once you start climbing the ridge.

Incredible hike. Snowy, not much ice. Beautiful.

Pretty icy towards the top and above the tree line. Would have been easier with microspikes and poles. But if you’re willing to take your time and risk a few butt slides you’ll be fine. Views were incredible even with the clouds we had.

Everybit as breathtaking as the reviews suggest. Mid november there was considerable ice on the trail, and was glad to have brought some strap on spikes. The hike itself was pleasant enough, although not as difficult as it is rated. It has a few short sections where you need to be mindfull, but no real consequences to speak of.

The days started clear but was cloud covered when we summitted, so will trya nd make it back to spend some time on the long trail when visibility is better.

Highly recommend this hike. Its a real gem.

Ascended Laura Cowles and Descended Sunset Ridge in mid-November. There was considerable snow even at lower elevations. And a fair amount of ice once you get above about 3,000’. Definitely recommend spikes at a minimum due to the trail conditions. Poles would be helpful, too.

As far as rating difficulty level, I would say this is pretty much right in the middle of moderate on a scale of easy to difficult. Much less challenging than many of the New England 4,000’ers I’ve done. But would certainly be strenuous, though definitely doable, for someone in average physical condition who isn’t accustomed to alpine hikes. I would say this is a very good introductory test for someone looking to evaluate their fitness and interest in mountain hiking as a pass time. Once you get to the top and get that payoff in the way of awe-inspiring views, you will get the bug. No doubt.

Laura Cowles, with the fresh snow cover, was beautiful from start to finish. Some beautiful and interesting rock formations, as well as some very cool ice formations at various places along the way. Portions of the trail are actually a small stream. Like, you’re walking IN the stream. At least at this time of year. Maybe it’s intermittent. I can’t say for sure. But be sure to have proper footwear.

The summit is beautiful. We were fortunate to have done this hike on a crystal clear day with the added benefit of fresh snow cover on the surrounding area. It made for gorgeous views. Could clearly see Champlain, the Adirondacks, the Green Mountains, and the Whites, all from the rock bluffs at the summit.

I wish I could give it something between the 4 and 5 star rating. It is worthy of 5 stars, for sure. It is visually interesting, mildly challenging, and quite serene. I only give it 4 stars because comparatively speaking, having done some otherworldly trails in the Whites, this one falls just a bit short for me. Again, this is strictly comparatively speaking. It doesn’t fall short of being incredible by any measure. I will absolutely do it again. And I look forward to it. Highly recommend this as a visually beautiful and satisfying day hike that is very much doable in a relatively short day, as opposed to some of the longer trails in the Whites that make for a very long, but very gratifying, day in the trail.

So in summary, do it. It’s fantastic.

We hiked up Laura Cowles trail and down Sunset. Laura was more brutal than I expected. Be prepared to stop periodically and let your heart slow down! Lots of stretches of wet rock staircases. Very windy at the top. Sunset was not difficult to get down.

Great trail! Great view!

Drove up from Cleveland for this. I am not an experienced hiker by any means, and this tested my mental and physical abilities. When I got to the top, it was all worth it. Amazing view.

Last hiked in 1990 and stayed at the youth camping area campground. Took Sunset Ridge Trail to Chin, and down Laura Cowles Trail. Took a group of teen and younger kids who enjoyed it.

Did this trail in the rain (which became snow as I got higher). There were no views whatsoever because of the weather. With that said, it was still an amazing hike. Solid workout. 360-degree view at the top. Can't wait to come back!!

Great hike!

great hike

Friday, September 29, 2017

Not sure where on this trail is the waterfall. A little disappointed by that. But the view still is jaw dropping

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Very nice trek! I highly recommand it! It's difficult but worth it!