Sunset Ridge Trail and Long Trail Loop

Sunset Ridge Trail and Long Trail Loop is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Underhill, Vermont that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,690 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

skiing

cave

Sunset Ridge Trail Long Trail Halfway House Trail CCC Road It's recommended by park staff to ascend the Halfway House Trail, traverse the Long Trail to the Chin (highest point in Vermont) and then descend Sunset Ridge. Halfway House is a steep trail, especially close to the Long Trail ridge-line, but has numerous switchbacks along the way. The Long Trail is all above the treeline and provides nearly 360 views of Vermont, Adirondacks, & White Mountains, but there's no shelter in bad weather (wind or rain). Sunset Ridge is a more gradual hike down, so it's less difficult heading down Mansfield; it also is above treeline for the top half and provides excellent views of the Champlain Valley and Adirondacks. Note: Halfway and Sunset Ridge have Blue Blazes, while the Long Trail is White. It's best to avoid Yellow blazed trails because they are generally more difficult rock scrambles.

Beautiful hike, with the dog, and spectacular view. We missed peak colors, but still beautiful.

This was my first time hiking from Underhill State Park. We intended to take Halfway House up to the Chin and take Sunset Ridge back. We missed the Halfway House trailhead and decided to use Maple Ridge to get to the summit instead. It was VERY HARD but we did it and the day and foliage was literally made to order. 7.5 hours later I have no regrets.

Mansfiel is and will stay the mountain of my soul. If usually I don’t like hiking the same mountain several times, I would return see Lord Mansfield over and over again if occation comes. The loop was perfect, going up by Halfway House was strenous on few occasions, but not bad, the Long Trail part was sooo beautiful ...as usual in a beautiful day I believe...lots of crowds come with this of course. Sunset Ridge was pure enchanatment, this trail is very scenic, rocky, sometimes technical but worthy because most of the way is offering continous view of the suroundings.

Super fun—Icy beautiful Christmas at top—- very slippery ❤️

Conditions were very wet today after rain from the previous evening. Made it to the Chin in 2:45 mins. Halfway house is a moderate to difficult ascent, top half of trail gets tough, requires careful footing, and a few 3-4 points of contact. Long trail is above the tree line, ascending the western ridge of Mansfield. Sunset down traverses through many sections of Rocky scrambles. It was humid and misty today, visibility was limited to 100 ft at times, and a consistent western wind all the way up to The Chin. Other then the wind, it was a calm and quiet day at the mountain :-) I ran into 2 groups on the way up, and 3 one the way down...rare, I'm sure for this Mountain. This is one of the best 6 mi hikes in the NorthEast! Enjoy!

I would recommend this trail to someone looking for great views and a decent challenge. With rocks throughout the whole trail and scrambles dominating the whole second half, good shoes and comfort climbing up and down steep/sometimes slick rocks are a must. My boyfriend and I (in our mid-twenties and average to a little above average fitness level) hiked this the day after we got a lot of rain. The trail was very wet, with puddles and water trickling down the rocks at some points. It was very well-marked, however. We left the ranger station at 11:30 and arrived at the trailhead by noon (it’s a mile up this section). We reached the summit by 2:45, after taking a couple snack breaks on the way up. After enjoying the 360 degree views that included Lake Champlain, the Adirondacks in NY, Mount Washington in NH, and supposedly Canada, we began our journey back down at 3:30, reaching the trailhead again by 5:26. Altogether, we were out and back in about 6.5 hours with abundant breaks. We hiked the trail on Friday, 9/28 and the leaves were already changing in some patches. There were other people hiking and at the peak, but not so many that it felt crowded. The views are incredible and begin only about a third of the way up. This was a very enjoyable hike. If you’re near Stowe, I strongly recommend it.

We did this hike, for the first time, on Saturday 9/21. It was a very busy trail. Half in the trees and the second half was out in the open - with exposure to the elements and what a surprise to be hiking for so long “in the view”. We are amateur hikers and on the slow side, took us about 2 hrs 45 minutes to hike the 3.05 miles to the summit. Our first time using poles and very glad to have them, especially on the way down (to help take the pressure off of my knees). We were a little concerned about tackling a “difficult” rated trail, but in the end we thought this one was similar to the “moderates” we usually hike. Dog friendly and quite a few kids too. Don’t miss this one!

this was a tough trail but well worth it. you go through all different kinds of landscape. easy in the beginning but becomes quite challenging. we thought that we were close to the top for a while before we actually were. the the temp changes was quite drastic too. humid and hot at the bottom. hail and fog at the top. we unfortunately could barley see a few feet infant of us at the top so no view. but a great experience.

Gorgeous day for a hike, sunny low 50s with morning temperatures in the 30s. A lot of rocks but good footing. Didn’t find as difficult as described in a couple other entries but a great work out!

Not for the faint of heart. Lots of climbing up rocks, and seems to rain pretty frequently near the top. We had to turn back near the peak. Some kind of markers for how far along the trail you are would be very welcome, currently there are no signs whatsoever.

Very wet from rain the previous day. I went up via Sunset Ridge and down Laura Cowles. LC trail down was slippery. Made it round trip in two hours and twenty minutes. I was moving very fast pace and early- started at 5am.

no drones welcome by staff. owner by a private company.

Awesome trail! Dog friendly, especially if they love jumping rocks. Got a bit busy, but still plenty of spots to hang out and enjoy the views. The Subway was also a great little adventure. Went to take the Canyon Extension, but got a little too strenuous for us trying to climb up rocks.