Stowe Pinnacle Trail

Stowe Pinnacle Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stowe, Vermont that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I don’t know what this trail is like in warmer months, but you will definitely need ice cleats to hike here on new year eve (12/31/18). I brought my golden retriever with me and she did it without any problem (she quickly learned about the ice and she would get around it). Met the black mountain dog and one of the golden retrievers - I heard they live near the trail and hike with people daily for fun. To be honest, the trail should be rated as hard given the steepness. The half upper portion definitely feels like good cardio exercise. I had to take breaks in between and my heart was beating fast.

This is a great short hike to do while visiting Stowe - beautiful and varied forest along the trail, enough gain to get your heart pumping, and great views of Mansfield and Camel's Hump from the top. I tried it, unprepared for the ice, with a friend on 12/30/18 and we turned back about 3/4 miles in. Went back alone with microspikes and poles on New Years Eve day and made the top easily. Going up I met people on their way down, but I broke out onto a vacant summit and had about 15 minutes to myself up there before heading back down. I've done the hike many times in all seasons, but this was the iciest I've experienced...

Wonderful morning winterland hike with microspikes and the two ambassador dogs with bells. What a gift they were!

Awesome trail. My wife and me had a wonderful time and encountered two beautiful dogs along the way

beautiful day for a hike. Definitely need yak tracks. the view at the top was spectacular today!!

Absolutely beautiful hike, it can get intense at some points closer to the pinnacle but it’s worth every bit. Best time to go is the first week of October.

Loved this trail! Views from the top (and middle) are beautiful and worth the semi-challenging trail. Additional fun: Two local golden retrievers with bells and tags met us at the bottom and took us all the way to the top, no owners. We learned from some locals on the trail that these amazing pups have been on that trail for years and are sweet and brave, which we found out!

Beautiful sites at the top. Definitely a challenging incline. Could be done in a few hours. Overall very fun.

Excellent hike and view!!

Awesome

The view on the top was spectacular once the flurries of snow drifted away and the clouds cleared. As for difficulty, I would say this is on the harder side of moderate even though I began at the Stowe Pinnacle Meadow parking lot. Yes, the view is definitely worth the hike up.

Nice hike! Beautiful views at the top! I'm sore!

Constant elevation gain. Very challenging. Will get your heart rate up for sure. Great reward at the top. Extremely crowded on leaf peeping weekend. Tons of dogs on this trail. We encountered nearly 100 of them mostly without leashes.

Just took my 7th and 8th grade class on this hike a few days ago. It was great! In the amount of time we had, a little more than half made it to the top. For a lot of them it was a challenge in persistence, but the reward of making it was worth the tiredness the felt the next day. This was my 5th or so time on this trail and it is definitely a fun one with some great views.

this was my favorite hike all year. the top reminded me of the Himalayas a little bit.

My gps clocked it at 2 miles each way. Good little hike, lots of off leash dogs. Took about 2 hours with my pup.

Quick Intensive hike,

Great 2-3 hr hike depending on your ability. A few areas of steep climbing but worth the gorgeous view at the top of the valley. Start early to avoid the crowd and bring a snack or lunch for a break at the top.

Nice in-town trail but very busy - even on a weekday.

This is the perfect hike if you only have 2-3 hours but still want a good workout and great view. The incline is pretty steady throughout; you don’t get too many breaks, and the last half mile is rocky (but we love that). Took some nice panoramic shots at the top. Highly recommend.

This trail does require a bit of patience (it took about 2.5 hours to reach the peak in the wintertime. It was, however, well worth it: you are afforded a great view of the valley (you can see the chin, Mt. Mansfield, in the distance).

Nice hike with some hills and rocks at top. Beautiful views!

Nice trail with some challenging uphill climbs. Heavily trafficked so get there early to avoid large crowds at the summit.

Nice trail with beautiful views at the top. It was crowded though. The summit area is not very large and there were so many people up there that it was difficult to find space to sit and enjoy the view.

Was a challange for my crew but we made it to the top was so worth it!

Great trail with amazing views at the top. Kinda steep at points but doable if you’re in moderately health and shape. Plenty of kids and elderly were doing it

We did this in mid-october in full foliage. Outstanding and highly recommend it. I could see moon in the daylight up top!

All around great trail. Near the summit may be somewhat challenging for young children in that quite steep and very rocky

I love this hike so much, a good medium in-between... great to do when you’re feeling like hiking but not necessarily feeling like climbing an entire mountain, yet the views up top are incredible. You can see all the way out to Champlain lake. This trail is also great towards the end of winter. TIP: if you want to get up to the views but don’t want to hike all that much, there’s an even shorter trail to get to the top. Coming from Stowe, before you reach the trailhead, there’s a road off to the left called Pinnacle road, drive all the way to the top and there’s a small parking lot. Cuts the hike in about half!

Beautiful views from the top. I'm an infrequent day hiker. I wouldn't call a 1500 ft climb in 1.5 miles "easy".

If you're just interested in the view, park at the Stowe Meadow trail head and save yourself 500 feet in elevation gain.