Spruce Mountain is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Plainfield, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We hiked up today (nov 12). It was a nice thin snow cover but very icy towards the top. Pretty low elevation gain and not too difficult besides the ice. The view on the top of the fire tower was beautiful and panoramic. I would recommend crampons and or sticks if you are going later in the winter but we made out just fine in backpacking boots in early nov. perfect for a quick day hike

Favorite!

absolutely love this trail! gradual the entire way and has a fire tower at the top! beautiful views, takes about 2-3 hours total

This is a great quick hike. I got an early start and had the trail up and the top/tower all to myself. The views are great. On the way back down, I encountered a number of people along the way who were heading up; so, I was glad I’d made the early start and enjoyed some solitude. Since the trail is rated “moderate,” I expected it to be harder than it was. I’d say it’s the easier end of moderate and is a great hike for beginners or for an early season hike to warm up to the bigger challenges.

Lovely trail. Not busy. Spectacular 360 degree views from the top. Quite rocky-lots of boulder hopping. I plan to do this again.

It's an easy, short hike with decent changes of scenery and a nice view from the firetower and an overlook at the top. I encountered few people on the trail on a summer Saturday, but quite a lot of feces, seemingly both human and dog. Pretty disgusting and more than I'd ever encountered on a trail before.

Nice trail had a great time. I have a bad knee so it slow coming down due to the rocks in trail, but had nice time

This was an awesome hike!! I loved the way the terrain changes several times. I conquered my fear and climbed the fire tower.

Amazing trail although the tower was too high for me to climb lol

A little bit of everything on this hike!

Wonderful hike. I do this at least once a week with my dog to keep in shape for the bigger hikes I do. Amazing views, and if you aren’t afraid of heights climb up the fire tower for a 360 degree view and I promise you won’t be disappointed! Good trail for children as well, I would rate it as easy/moderate!

Love this hike. It’s a great way to start the summer season off!!

Lovely time. Pretty nice marsh area 1/4 of the way up (off the trail). Trail mostly all straight forward path except for large rock slabs up towards the top. Fire tower is somehow still standing! Make sure explore boulder area off to hikers right on way up.

a pretty moderate hike! almost easy. there were amazing views at the top, even if you only go halfway up the fire tower. pretty buggy and pretty busy! saw lots of other hikers, even in the middle of the week.

Perfect night, crossed 4 other hikers, 2 with dogs, 2 with walking poles. Fabulous view, would be an amazing sunset from the tower. Would need to camp up there as I would not try the trail in the dark. As much challenge as I am interested in!!

Pretty gentle for the first 1.5 miles, moderately steep for the rest, but nothing too tough. The views at the top were absolutely incredible when we went (during peak foliage season). There is a viewpoint at the summit with views east toward the White Mountains. The tower has a complete panorama stretching from New Hampshire to the Northeast Kingdom down most of the Green Mountain chain. A great hike.

We hiked up the Plainfield side of Spruce Mtn. on Thanksgiving Day. There was a large tree down near the beginning of the trail (where it begins upward) that we had to either go around (off trail) or under, I'm guessing that it had fallen recently. This side of the mountain has far less of a rocky terrain on the ascent, and the upward climb hear the summit is just the right amount of hiking to feel accomplished without it being a difficult hike. The fire tower provides pretty much the only views, so if you don't favor heights, this might not be the hike for you. We've hiked both trails up (I only know of 2) to the summit, once in the summer and once with snow on the ground. Be sure to bring crampons or Yak Traks though, there were a few spots we wouldn't have been able to pass without ours. During the warmer months, I could see this being a muddy trail, but the views are worth it any season.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

nice trail, but I'd rate it as heavily trafficked. the parking lot was packed and lots of folks at the summit, tho it was a lovely day so I'm not too surprised.

the trail was easy to follow and was only steep for the last half mile or so. great views from the fire tower. The description in the GMC 50 hikes guidebook says there is an overlook just before the summit but we did not see it, perhaps its over grown?

Monday, October 09, 2017

Nice hike with kids

Sunday, October 01, 2017

great hike with dog

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Great easy hike to the top. There's is a fire tower on the top that you can climb for 360 viewing.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Quickly easy hike

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

good views, use bug spray.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Very rocky but a pretty easy hike for a beginner. The views at the top are worth it. It took us about 2 hours round trip.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

One of my most favorite fire towers. Check out my full write up along with pictures and things to look out for.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Great views from the old fire tower.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

7/6/17
A nice short hike but kinda buggy so bring some bug repellent. There were some muddy spots along the way but nothing a little step planning couldn't get ya through.
Overall a good day on the trail.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Hiked the trail 7/4/17. The trail had heavy traffic. I've hiked this mountain many times. This is the first time I've seen the trail look a little run down. It's definitely wet with all of the rain. Several areas were quite deep with mud. I used my poles to find the stepping stones so my boots didn't take a beating. Once at the summit, we went into the observation tower. It was very windy today and the tower felt a little unsafe due to higher wind speeds. This is a great hike- lots of steep granite to climb.

Monday, July 03, 2017

We had a great hike up spruce mountain with our kiddos. Even with all the water, the rocks were not slippery. Lots of black flies at the top. Cool caves along the way.