Spruce Mountain

Spruce Mountain is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Plainfield, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Pretty gentle for the first 1.5 miles, moderately steep for the rest, but nothing too tough. The views at the top were absolutely incredible when we went (during peak foliage season). There is a viewpoint at the summit with views east toward the White Mountains. The tower has a complete panorama stretching from New Hampshire to the Northeast Kingdom down most of the Green Mountain chain. A great hike.

We hiked up the Plainfield side of Spruce Mtn. on Thanksgiving Day. There was a large tree down near the beginning of the trail (where it begins upward) that we had to either go around (off trail) or under, I'm guessing that it had fallen recently. This side of the mountain has far less of a rocky terrain on the ascent, and the upward climb hear the summit is just the right amount of hiking to feel accomplished without it being a difficult hike. The fire tower provides pretty much the only views, so if you don't favor heights, this might not be the hike for you. We've hiked both trails up (I only know of 2) to the summit, once in the summer and once with snow on the ground. Be sure to bring crampons or Yak Traks though, there were a few spots we wouldn't have been able to pass without ours. During the warmer months, I could see this being a muddy trail, but the views are worth it any season.

nice trail, but I'd rate it as heavily trafficked. the parking lot was packed and lots of folks at the summit, tho it was a lovely day so I'm not too surprised.

the trail was easy to follow and was only steep for the last half mile or so. great views from the fire tower. The description in the GMC 50 hikes guidebook says there is an overlook just before the summit but we did not see it, perhaps its over grown?

Nice hike with kids

great hike with dog

Great easy hike to the top. There's is a fire tower on the top that you can climb for 360 viewing.

Quickly easy hike

good views, use bug spray.

Very rocky but a pretty easy hike for a beginner. The views at the top are worth it. It took us about 2 hours round trip.

One of my most favorite fire towers. Check out my full write up along with pictures and things to look out for.

Great views from the old fire tower.

7/6/17
A nice short hike but kinda buggy so bring some bug repellent. There were some muddy spots along the way but nothing a little step planning couldn't get ya through.
Overall a good day on the trail.

Hiked the trail 7/4/17. The trail had heavy traffic. I've hiked this mountain many times. This is the first time I've seen the trail look a little run down. It's definitely wet with all of the rain. Several areas were quite deep with mud. I used my poles to find the stepping stones so my boots didn't take a beating. Once at the summit, we went into the observation tower. It was very windy today and the tower felt a little unsafe due to higher wind speeds. This is a great hike- lots of steep granite to climb.

We had a great hike up spruce mountain with our kiddos. Even with all the water, the rocks were not slippery. Lots of black flies at the top. Cool caves along the way.

Climbed this trail yesterday. Pretty damp and slippery in spots but not bad overall. The bugs at the top were terrible. We were only able to say up there for about 5 minutes they were so bad.

Very easy hike, lots of bugs this time of year at the top. Not too many people on the trails today. Overall loved it!!

Nice views from the tower without a ton of effort. The peak is not exposed, so if you don't like heights you won't get much of a view

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Really fun hike, not too steep. Bring spikes if you go in early spring!!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Great little winter showshoe to the top of a wooded peak. 80ft fire tower at top with awesome views, and a bog and cool ice caves along the way. My little-ish dog made it up just fine despite deep snow.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Near our home so it gets plenty of attention.. the tower st the top is really the best part. 360 degree views

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great hike, tower is awesome!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Beautiful view!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Dog hike was perfect. Lots of dog friends.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Loved this hike! The weather was perfect though super windy up the fire tower. The views were amazing and myself, my daughter and Stella the

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great hike!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Have done this one several time.. Great hike with your dog. Fire tower is spectacular on a clear day.. Have done this hike in all 4 seasons and no disappointment in any of them

Sunday, May 29, 2016

very nice moderate climb. excellent view from fire tower.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

spectacular view from the tower

Sunday, April 17, 2016

nice hike still snow.tower want to windy

Thursday, March 24, 2016

great trail still some ice right now so you may have to walk off the trail a bit to get around it.