Snake Mountain

Snake Mountain is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Middlebury, Vermont that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderate elevation. Good distance. Gr8 view.

This is nice trail, but I warn you not to try to follow the loop to the right. The trail is poorly marked and there are many intersecting trails making it impossible to continue the loop. I went back and forth on several trails trying to get back on the loop shown in the alltrails map. I finally gave up and turned back. Luckily the app allowed me to track all my various attempts and get back to where the trail split.

Easy hike, wonderful views!!

Good for small kids and for a late walk. This can get very crowded from our experience! The view is very cool, and the trail is relatively covered throughout the entire hike.

Great western view from the top. The east side of the loop is not marked and without a GPS we would have gotten lost. The trail map need updating.

I live five minutes from the base and hike this mountain weekly, either by myself or with family. I never tire of it. It’s a great hike but getting more crowded. (Note: if you don’t like encountering off-leash dogs avoid this trail, I’ve never seen a dog ON a leash, lol!)

A quick walk from parking area to trail head, and about 10 or so minutes to a culvert, travel a little bit farther, then when the trail comes to a T go LEFT.

Amazing views from the top. Some wet spots even if weather is dry. Some rocky sections but nothing too treacherous. Fun for kids and adults. About 45-50 minutes to the top. I think it’s a great hike with a good mix of terrain and a great reward at the summit.

*The much less traveled ‘falcon trail’ is off limits till August 1st, as a preservation during nesting. This trail is slightly shorter and more steep but by far my favorite. If you can wait till August it’s worth it!

Made the mistake of hiking this trail with just a memory of the trail map - a simple loop, right? An easy, straightforward walk up the broad West and Summit Trails to the hotel foundation overlook.The track is 10 feet wide and clear of vegetation, and I inwardly laughed at some of the comments I'd read on this site about the lack of markers and people getting lost! At the summit, I loved the views west to the Adirondacks. Pity there's no plaque explaining the history of hotel and identifying the peaks and features seen to the west. I decided to descend via the loop along the obviously less traveled but clearly defined trail. No signs or markers, but occasional tracks of 4-wheel vehicle - that's how wide the trail is. It descends steeply but ends at a small pond surrounded by wetland vegetation and thick brush - with no sign of the trail exiting the far side! The pond being deep, I decided to bushwack round the right (west) side of the pond, cutting left in hopes of discovering the trail again. Instead, I came upon a well-worn single track running SW along a wooded ridge to where it overlooks a much larger pond. Looking down, I couldn't see any trails along the pond, and my trail doubled back NW away from the pond. After a while it seemed to be leading back towards that first, smaller pond. so I reversed back to the 2nd pond and descended the bluff to the right, W, side of the pond. (A better memory - or a trail map! - would have led me to the left, E, side of the pond!) Then I bushwacked South, hoping to intersect the Pond Single Track/Fast Trail. Instead, I eventually hit the Summit Trail!
A bit of an adventure, and a lesson to always bring a trail map to a new area! However, the lack of any trail markers, particularly along the Ridge Trail and Pond Single Track was a surprise on such a well-visited and "family-safe" hill. On the way back down the Summit Trail I advised several ascending parties enjoying their late afternoon stroll to the top to descend by this same trail and not try the Pond Single Track loop.

Oh my god the view is so awesome!!

It was a good little hike. Trail was easy to navigate albeit still a little muddy in some spots. Little buggy but not bad and to be expected. Took about 35 minutes to get up, less than 20 going down.

Great hike... really buggy during May

Trail was pretty muddy and buggy, but the beautiful view at the top was worth it! Pretty steady incline up all the way, but a short hike

No indications on where the trails are and where they get you to. Thanks to my iPhone and this app. I was able to get back to my car without having to camp overnight on the mountain. No joke.

Great hike for those who aren't look for a full day hike or anything rugged. The top is a great place to have a picnic because of the flat cement surface

Going up there were a few switchbacks but throughout the trail there were some flat areas. The view from the top is amazing. We saw the entire area laid out in front of us. Going down was or favorite part. If you go more right you will pick up the yellow trail which brings you down via the pond and there is another wonderful view from there. If you go down by the pond you do not have the switchbacks and it is a very relaxing trail. Highly recommended

Great climb, beautiful view of the lake and New York.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

My husband and I tried to do the loop indicated on the All Trails map. Making it to the lookout point was relatively simple (west side of the loop). We then tried to finish the east side. This trail wasn't just poorly marked - it wasn't marked AT ALL! We had to use our phone's GPS and the app to estimate where the trail *would* have been. Once we found the connection to the east side, it was okay.

I do not recommend this full loop if you don't want to do some orienteering. The out-and-back to the lookout is great. We saw lots of families with happy children on the way to the lookout!

Monday, August 07, 2017

This was a relatively easy hike for me and the kiddos. We brought lunch and ate at a gorgeous lookout point.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Beautiful views once you get to the top

Monday, July 24, 2017

Excellent scenic vista, worth the hike

Saturday, July 22, 2017

The cliff trail is currently closed to protect wildlife. But the other trail was really nice, a bit muddy with all the rain we've had. Would definitely recommend if newer to hiking and want to see a truly fantastic view of the Adirondacks.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

The trail is not well marked but it's pretty easy to follow still. There's some mud but nothing too, too crazy. The view at the top is amazing. Plenty of room for all to have a great view if you go during a busy time and have to share the summit. No steep inclines at all.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Mud mud mud. But the view's great ;-)

Monday, July 03, 2017

Fantastic views from the concrete foundation at the top. Trail was waterlogged and muddy - not surprising with how much rain has been coming through.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Muddy.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Hiked this trail a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, it wasn't very clear but it was still worth the view. It's a fairly easy hike with very little elevation gain.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Gorgeous view at the top, short but good hike!

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Very icy! Wore nanospikes the whole time.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Amazing

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This was a fairly rugged uphill slog (for this 62 year old) for about 2 miles to a summit with great views. There's a parking lot on Mountain Road. About 200 yards south is the well-marked trail head. The trail is an old carriage road to the summit. It's rocky and rugged but families with young kids made it successfully to the top. At the "T", go left. Soon after the "T", you'll see a trail to the left with a "Don't disturb the peregrines during nesting season" sign. This trail also goes to the summit, passing some interesting outcrops at the top but it's very steep and rugged. (I came down that way and my thighs are still throbbing.)

The summit views are the highlight here. Beautiful views looking west at the Lake Champlain Valley and the Adirondacks. There's a concrete slab foundation of an old house or hotel at the summit that kind of takes away from the vibe a bit but, again, you're there for the view. Plan to spend some time at the summit.